Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

ERA 70X Grey tank valve update:

Hello,

Some time back, I posted that I was unable to dump the grey water in my 2016 Era 70X. Took it to the dealer who said the valve had come apart. They installed a new grey tank valve. Sounded good to me.

Well, next attempt to dump grey water was the same - nothing came out. Macerator pump is working.

Back to the dealer, who said there is nothing wrong with it. They dumped the grey water no problem. Service asked me if I had both the black and grey water valves open at the same time.

I said "no", the manual states that both valves should NOT be opened at the same time. The service person told me, that you have to dump the black first and leave the valve open. Then you can dump the grey. I said ok, maybe I read it wrong.

Went home and re-read the owners manual. It clearly stated that you should not have both valves open at the same time.

I was confused, and called Winnebago direct for an answer. The service tech at Winnebago told me that the owners manual was incorrect. My Era had a plumbing update since the manual was printed. The black tank and grey tank share a common line. The black valve has to be left open, so the grey water can be pumped through the same line.

Now I am back in business.

Regards, cowboy70

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy70 View Post
Hello,
Some time back, I posted that I was unable to dump the grey water in my 2016 Era 70X. Took it to the dealer who said the valve had come apart. They installed a new grey tank valve. Sounded good to me.
Well, next attempt to dump grey water was the same - nothing came out. Macerator pump is working.
Back to the dealer, who said there is nothing wrong with it. They dumped the grey water no problem. Service asked me if I had both the black and grey water valves open at the same time.
I said "no", the manual states that both valves should NOT be opened at the same time. The service person told me, that you have to dump the black first and leave the valve open. Then you can dump the grey. I said ok, maybe I read it wrong.
Went home and re-read the owners manual. It clearly stated that you should not have both valves open at the same time.
I was confused, and called Winnebago direct for an answer. The service tech at Winnebago told me that the owners manual was incorrect. My Era had a plumbing update since the manual was printed. The black tank and grey tank share a common line. The black valve has to be left open, so the grey water can be pumped through the same line.
Now I am back in business.
Regards, cowboy70
Apparently expecting an owners manual for a $150,000 RV to be correct..... (and expecting the dealer to know how to dump the tanks on the RVs he sells).... is expecting a little much.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #3

We had the same problem but figured it out while on the road in Canada. Sure is irritating! Guessing the grey tank flushes the black tank. People at WInnebago need to try these things out with newbies before we get them. Also get all the rattles out before shipping. Dealer has taken four months to correct problems. What do we expect? Product that works!
Old 10-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claydeg View Post
We had the same problem but figured it out while on the road in Canada. Sure is irritating! Guessing the grey tank flushes the black tank. People at WInnebago need to try these things out with newbies before we get them. Also get all the rattles out before shipping. Dealer has taken four months to correct problems. What do we expect? Product that works!
Rattles, AMEN on the rattles. My ERA 70 X still rattles after cushioning to sink cover, taking the dish out of the microwave, putting felt stick ons on the tv bracket, tying up the blinds, etc, etc. waiting for my first trip for warranty work to have them figure out the rest. Very annoying on our fabulously maintained nations highways.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:06 AM   #5

Exactly the same things in our 70X! Have them tighten down the cabinets on both sides. Made a huge difference. I think we will take off the metal window curtain above the stove. We have it stuffed with rags and towels. Hard to stop the rattles. Seems the rear axel causes some of the noise over bumps. Must need air shocks. I put sound dead material on the wheel wells but not sure it helps much. There is extra storage room in those wheel wells, nice for tools, etc.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for posting this information, I'm sure the misinformation has been frustrating for many owners.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:26 PM   #7

Cowboy, That is good to know, not sure what/why Winnebago changed on the new 70X, conventional wisdom is to dump the black, close the black valve, and dump the grey to flush the sewage down. It sounds frustrating to say the least! Glad you got it sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfuni View Post
Rattles, AMEN on the rattles. My ERA 70 X still rattles after cushioning to sink cover, taking the dish out of the microwave, putting felt stick ons on the tv bracket, tying up the blinds, etc, etc. waiting for my first trip for warranty work to have them figure out the rest. Very annoying on our fabulously maintained nations highways.
Our 70C is very quiet, no real squeaks or rattles. After our first trip, I did have a few rattles that I tracked down to the sink cover and one rear cabinet door. I replace the sink cover with a bamboo cutting board (trimmed to fit) and adjusted the latch on the offending cabinet door and added a clear vinyl bumper on the cabinet frame.
Heavy pot holes or a washboard road there's going to be some noise, shaking, and rattling going on, but for the most part, it's nice and quiet.

Tags
tank, grey tank