Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #1

Fantastic Fan Upgrade

Just ordered the Fantastic Fan Upgrade kit which will provide a push/pull ventilation capability in Big Edna. Don't know why the unit did not come equiped without that capability? Eitherway the sales person indicated it was a relatively easy install... they always say that and I always fall for it. Anyone ever do one of these upgrades? Any advice, snakes in the grass, etc...? Another benefit is that the kit comes with the clip on filter so I won't have to remove a dozen screws to remove the filter for cleaning. I'm ready to get down with some serious camping here in the upcoming fall when the temps are just right... Best to all. Shorty sends...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoret View Post
Just ordered the Fantastic Fan Upgrade kit which will provide a push/pull ventilation capability Anyone ever do one of these upgrades?
the kit comes with the clip on filter so I won't have to remove a dozen screws to remove the filter for cleaning.
shoret
Rather than spending $60+ for an upgrade kit, to upgrade my Fantastic fan to a push/pull. I added a $4 DPDT switch in the 12V + wire,

And I replaced the old screen with one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Ven.../dp/B0014GCDAE
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have not done it but MEL told you how I would do it,, Only I might go for a slightly better switch than he did, perhaps 10 bucks .

DPDT switch has six terminals on the back.. Two rows of 3
You "Break" the two wires that go to the motor and run them to the center pair

The motor connects to one end (Does not matter which lead goes to which side) and then two short jumper wires forming an "X" over the back of the switch to the enter end.

Turn it on, verify it does not blow fuse and note if air is sucked or blown.. Label switch position. turn off, wait for fan to stop, flip switch and turn back on. Verify operation and label switch position.

or better use a 3 position ON-OFF-ON switch (again how I would do it)
Old 09-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The kit is easy to install if you have the basic tools and can read and follow instructions.

Advantage of the kit is it makes the installation look original.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #5

Thank you!

Thanks to all for your suggestions/feedback.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
At one FMCA rally some years ago Fantastic Vent (the old company before they sold out) I talked to one of the owners (I think) about adding a switch. Told him OK, I'll just get a couple DPDT switches. He said "wait a minute" and had me go with him in his golf cart to their parts trailer. He dug around and handed me two switches. I still have them, just haven't taken the time to install them!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
what does this do ?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
what does this do ?
This??
Old 09-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #9

Quote:
what does this do ?
The DPDT switch simply toggles the polarity of the 12V going to fan motor. Doing so changes the fan's direction.

I too would opt for an on-off-on switch if the speed control switch is not also the on-off switch.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #10

Smile

Quote:
what does this do ?
I am assuming you mean "the fantastic fan" right? If so, this kit will provide the roof mounted fan the ability to draw air in and also pull air out (current configuration).

If your inquiry of "what does it do," is not satisfied, please clarify or expand so someone can respond.

Thanks, travel safe. Best Shorty sends...
Old 09-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
ok got it thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #12

Just curious, why would you want to reverse the fan from exhaust mode? If you open a window on one end of the unit then operating the fan in exhaust mode is very effective and exchanges the air in the unit quickly, with a nice breeze from whatever window(s) you have open. Is there any particular advantage to having the fan pressurize the unit and work in the opposite direction? Changing the air is changing the air.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #13

Well, if you have two fans, one pulling, one pushing; you would get better circulation.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Just curious, why would you want to reverse the fan from exhaust mode? If you open a window on one end of the unit then operating the fan in exhaust mode is very effective and exchanges the air in the unit quickly, with a nice breeze from whatever window(s) you have open. Is there any particular advantage to having the fan pressurize the unit and work in the opposite direction? Changing the air is changing the air.
The windows on my 20' Class B only open about three inches from the bottom and do not provide adequate (to my liking) airflow even using the exhaust fan to circulate air. It does however effectively pull air out and provides good exhaust of galley odors, etc... By addiing a reversable capability it will provide for the introduction of "new" air in an efficient manner. This is probablly one of the shortcomings of having only 20' to work with but there are other perks. In the end though I will have a selectable option of it (the fan) being push or pull. Thanks for your feedback. Best. Shorty sends...

Tags
fan, upgrade