Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #1

Question Front Cabin Carpet Replacement

Good day to all. I trust this post finds you all well? Have any of you Class B’ers found a source which manufactures replacement carpet kits for the front cabin? I have found many on the net, but when you tell them it is for a “Wide Body” Class B they say that the manufacturer of the coach has modified the front cab and that the carpet kits will not fit as they are to short around the edges and around the engine cover. I have checked with the manufacturer (Coach House) and since they are out of the Class B market they claim to have no parts/e.g. replacement carpet. I know I can’t be, although it seems that I am, the only owner of a Wide Body model. Any help would be appreciated. I have even considered doing the job myself with commercial carpeting but am not looking forward to that task… Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks. Best Shorty sends…

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Class B RV's typically start with a standard van cab/chassis. These carpets can be easily replaced with standard molded van kits.

Some rare Class B's did have a widened cab. These cabs were often widened at the flat space in the middle of the floor between the front seats. These carpets can be replaced with regular van kits - plus with the purchase of a matching piece of flat carpet...Just cut the original and span the gap with flat.

I have had good success with products from ACC: ACC: your solution for replacement automotive carpet to fit your car, truck or suv and more

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #3

Steve, first thanks for your service! Secondly I have tried mail order and the carpet kits are way too expensive for my taste (>$700.00) or the manufacturer has indicated that their product will not fit my wide body unit. I think I have relegated myself to the DIYS mode. Soon I will remove the seats and belts more than likely over the 4th weekend and lay a commercial piece of carpet over the existing one and start making the necessary fine tuning cuts. I might have to take it to a carpet installer or perhaps rent a heat joiner to join some of the curved pieces over the wheel well. I do not think it will be difficult but rather time consuming. I think this is the most effective cost point and will provide greater selection in color and texture. Thanks for your input. BTW I too am retired military. I served 26 years as a Warrant Officer linguist all throughout Central and South America. Thanks again. Best. Shorty sends…
Old 08-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #4

Carpet Replacement

Hi,

What I did was buy a Weather guard truck bed liner for $ 10.00 dollars at the junk yard ( pick n pull) and replace the carpet. Just took at seats and trimmed to fit. Now when I am in and out in bad weather or spilled some coffee, I haven't stained brand new carpet.

I have posted some pictures in the Vintage section under Allegro's Wanted.
In short, I agree, even $ 300.00 is way too much money.

A army brat and daughter of a Korean/Vietnam Vet,

Debra
Old 08-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Hi Debra, first off thanks for your Dads/Moms service to our country! Thanks for your suggestion. However I think I have cracked the nut. Last week I was searching on ebay and ran across an add for a cab carpet kit which "fits" a 1999 Dodge B3500 manufactured by an organization called ACC (same outfit recommended in post # 2 above, by Steve). Prior to ordering I called them and they indicated it would not fit, but the ebay add indicated it was a compatible fit to my vehicle. Isnít it great when you get conflicting info on a product? Anyway, I took a roll of the dice. The carpet kit arrived yesterday and as a dry fit it appears to fit fairly well. It does appear to be a little big in some areas (driver/passenger) wheel wells but I'm sure those can be trimmed down. For $89.00 how wrong can I go? Iím hoping for the best. Iíll post some pictures when complete. Thanks and have a GREAT day. Best. Shorty sendsÖ
Old 08-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #6

Carpet Replacement

That's great and for less than a hundred bucks! I look forward to the pictures.

Debra
Old 08-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #7

Thumbs up Almost done!

Finished the Drivers and Passenger areas this AM and started the center area, under the seats and the rear transition areaÖ It just got to hot so I will finish the job up tomorrow. Looks pretty good in my opinion albeit it does have a few little warts (around the engine cover) but Iím not gonna sweat it as it gives the cab character. Covercraft did a great job with the custom floor mats and I believe they complement the ACC floor carpet well. Now I need to find a source for a new engine cover to match the carpet/floor mats. Any suggestions? Best. Shorty sendsÖ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cab Area.jpg.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	71766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass area w new carpet.jpg.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	71768  

Name:	Pass area, w new carpet and custom floor mats.jpg.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	71769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers area, w new carpet and custom floor mats.jpg.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	71772  

Name:	Drivers area w new carpet.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	71773  
Old 08-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WOW!! That looks great!

For the engine cover, there are dye products in rattle cans that are available in many colors that could match or contrast.

It looks like vinyl in the photos...but even if it is carpet, the dyes will work. Just get the right kind.

Best luck!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #9

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
WOW!! That looks great!

For the engine cover, there are dye products in rattle cans that are available in many colors that could match or contrast.

It looks like vinyl in the photos...but even if it is carpet, the dyes will work. Just get the right kind.

Best luck!
Hey Steve, hope all is well. Thanks for the initial advice, subsequent words of encouragement and advice again! Iím going to check out those sprays you speak of. A follow up if I may would, the bog box stores e.g. Depot, Lowes, Wally World carry those or should I look in specialty stores e.g. flooring, auto parts etcÖ?
Ole Big Edna is certainly coming along. Next, month she goes in for her Gel Coat facelift by a local fiberglass specialty shop. I would try it myself but for $350.00 I would rather avoid the issue... beside I'm keeping the economy buzzing!
Afterwards I need to replace the two side door windows and windshield curtains if I can find a reasonably priced source. One lady quoted me $90.00 per side window. I did not even ask her about the front window... I told her to keep them in a bag to prevent them from getting dusty! For that amount of cash I'll learn how to sow, buy a machine and make them myself, although somewhat crooked I'm sure...
Old 08-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Vinyl and carpet dye will be available at some large automotive parts stores and speciality paint stores.

The big box hardware stores might have it and since they often have better prices, it is worth starting the shopping there.

Before going through the effort of replacing the windshield/front window curtains...you might consider a front glass cover that goes on the outside. These are badically a canvas covered blanket for the glass and are very nice if you are not worried about it coming off or being removed by strangers.

Best luck

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
carpet, replace, replacement