Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #1

Full time RV in B Plus RV

Hello all,

I plan to retire early and go full time RV on a B Plus class and go "see the world". My fix income after retiring is 950 per month (all monies went out the windows w the stock market last week). I am a widower.

My questions are:

- Is my icome enough? Where can I get info on part time or short job on the trip? I am a software engineer with a second master degree in education.
- Is B Plus a good choice? My reason is that I want to be able to park anywhere; and mostly because of the gas per mile issue.
- I am in San Diego, CA. Which state should I start "exploring the world" first?
- How do I deal with postal mail and phone communication? I am with at&t now, do they coverage in all the US?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon P.
RvNewbie2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

Regarding a Class B as a full time rig, moving to and living full time in a Class B and in regards to where to start exploring, I highly recommend this blog. It's well written, well organized, entertaining, and encompasses nearly all the nuts and bolts you'll need to get started.

I would imagine you could work from home in the software field. I've read of many that do it.

For mail, most get a box at a Mail Boxes Etc. type place. It will have an address that looks like a street address and they'll forward mail. There's many services available.

Here's AT&Ts voice coverage map.

You don't have much money, but I suspect if you can rent an apartment, you can fulltime. It's always a good idea to have money in reserve though because stuff breaks.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
AS long as you keep the rig parked, gas mileage is not a big concern. So what you will want to do is to find an area and stay there for a month or more.

Depending on where you park, boondocking for next to free up to $400.00 month (and up for RESORTS) for a site.

You can always work camp and get a site for free.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How much traveling you do will be very limited. For example, 1000 miles driven will cost $250.00. You will for sure have to work-camp.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #5

Some people need lots of space, some don't. My mom is full-time in a 32 foot class A, same with my brother-in-law. We live full-time time in a 39 foot diesel pusher, with three slides, wouldn't want smaller. But sometimes nimble and short seems like a good thing. Can you rent or borrow something for a week or so? That is the best way to actually get a feel for how you will live. For example we thought we didn't want slides, but now we couldn't imagine not having three and would like four! We have a hot-spot from AT&T and are very happy with it. We had the Verizon hotspot for a year and we hated it. We also have a hot-spot on our iPhones for a back up. You can full-time on almost no money, or spend a lot, depends on how you live. If you want to be in parks, it will cost more. But, staying a month at a time is great advice, monthly rates are generally much more affordable and it gives you times to really explore where you are. In our experience, state and county parks don't offer monthly rates, so it would be private RV parks. You can also look into work camping, there is lots of great info on the internet about that. Also, with your background, maybe think about some kind of business of your own. That way you are you own boss, and can still travel as the need hits you. Nothing worse than being full-time and not being able to take off whenever you want! My mom full-timed for many years alone on a pretty limited income, loved every second of it. You might try the WINs, (wandering individual network, i think) its a group of single, full timers, they are very active, have lots of get togethers, and many boondock almost exclusively.
jstbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #6

Dear all,

I really appreciate all the help, especially the warm welcome that makes me feel at ease when posing questions

I will read the blog and also will try 10 days in a B plus class RV and get a feel for it.

And of course, next batch of questions comes up:

What kind of RV B Plus should I buy assuming I have 20K cash? Is there an RV that is frugal on gas (25 or higher mpg)?
Should I rig the RV with solar panel to be green and saving money at the same time? Where do I go to learn about RV and solar energy as well as learning from people already done it?

Again, many thanks
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Regarding solar: The RV Battery Charging Puzzle « HandyBob's Blog He actually uses solar for boondocking and has done so for seven years without a generator. He tells you what you need to know without excess. As he will repeatedly say, just because someone uses a solar system, sells solar components or installs solar, does not mean he knows what they are doing or that he has your best interest in heart; so be careful where you go for information.

Regarding which type of RV, find a floorplan that works for you. I'm more or less in the sticks so I've had to do most of my looking online. I look for sites that sell RVs and have lots of pictures just to get an idea of what's out there and what models I may be interested in. It helps narrow down the field. Also I have walked dealer lots and looked at motorhomes that were out of my price range just to get a feeling for the floorplans I liked.

As far as how much to pay, you can search ebay for class B, ended auctions; and see what others are paying. I believe that search is only good for two weeks prior though.

Frugal on gas? I don't know other than perhaps find a diesel in your price range. Volkswagen or Sprinter maybe.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #8

Thanks retmotor

End of this month I will rent a SS Agile and drive from San Diego to San Franciso.

I don't think I need much space:

My music collection (50,000 plus) is in 4 Hard Drives.
My video collection is in another 8 HDs.
My games collection is in 1 HD.
Cloths: 10 jeans and 10 shirts for 10 days. Cloths including underwears/socks go inside space bag which reduce the size next to nothing.
Washing and drying done by using WonderWash and WonderDryer which don't take much space. When I traveled oversea, I can pack as much as 30 days cloths in one carrying bag using space bag.
1 iPad. 1 Pico Projector that could blow up to 70" screen. This setup is receiving music, games and video wirelessly from my HDs.
1 17' HP laptop.
1 Altrix phone with Lapdock that lasts me 15 hours on battery (I will use Google Voice and GroveIP to talk free to family and friends. AT&T monthly bill is fixed at $99).
Dried food that last me at least 10 days (this costs me $75 so far). I am a chef cook also, so this is not a problem. My scout friends taught me how to use wild flowers and wild plant to suplement my daily meal.
1 Yamaha EF2000is 2000 watt super quiet inverter generator.
Razor, toothbrush, shampoo, soap and no water soap (just in case)...

I will budget the 10 days trip as if I only have $950 per month.

Now, looking for interesting places to stop by on the way.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I have no real input on places to stop along the way but I always thought a ride/drive up the coast would be neat. I'd like to see the Redwoods too, but that's a bit further north.

You have put some serious thought into this move. I wish you well on your trip. Let us know how it works out for you.