Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #1

Grand Canyon excursion

I promised my wife years ago to take her to the Grand Canyon at 68 I am running out of time. This year we are doing it in our 2013 ERA and leaving from Maryland. She wants on the way back to see her uncle in Omaha and mother in Davenport IA. total mileage 4862 with time limit of 30 days. Lots of driving , broken down 8 to 9 hours. I am hoping everything stays on van including us. Any suggestions to make the trip more enjoyable, or travel tips would greatly be appreciated. Driving, and more Driving but memories are priceless. You keep your promises and stay married for another year, ours going on 43 years. Your help on travel and tips would be appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #2

It all depends on when your leaving and planning to be at the Grand Canyon ?

Old 06-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #3

Grand Canyon

unfortunately only time available would be in July, lots of people and lots of heat oh joy.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #4

If you are going to drive that distance I would suggest that you take stops that will include some walking to circulate blood in legs. It will also help you feel more alert. If you need to stop. Stop! Don't try to stay on a schedule if you can't do it.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #5

I would abandon the time limit. By the long days of driving, you are both going to end up hating RVing. I'd plan a longer trip and work in a bunch of stops to make the trip interesting.

Here a suggested site to help pick out some things: Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

Also, to have parents still alive at your age, you are truly blessed. Spend as much time with them as you can afford.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

My advice is when you get to the Grand Canyon, where ever you stay, whatever you do is to plan on being at the Rim at 1/2 hour before sunrise. Not only will it be awesome to watch the sunrise over the Grand Canyon you'll darn near have the place to yourself and it's much cooler too ! By the time you ride the shuttle to all the view points and have seen it all the crowds will be showing up. That's when you have to wait in lines for the shuttle etc. and when the Train unloads it really get crowded. I've been there numerous times and when we went for the sunrise that was our best time. Then when it's crowded your back in the RV taking a nap !
Old 06-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #7

Grand Canyon

thanks Tdogking, that sounds like a plan to me. no crowds at that time and a sunrise for the memory book. thanks for the tip/
Old 06-15-2014, 01:00 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Very much agree with the "get in early" suggestion. This has always worked well for us, especially the national parks. People sleep in because they are on "vacation" and miss some incredible things and end up in crowds.

Consider also going to the Navaho Nation, canyon de chelly, painted desert, Arches and Monument Valley while you are there.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd get on the road early in the mornings.

Less wind to fight and you can get into a campground before dark.

I stop at almost every roadside rest area and walk around my rig. Then I hit the road again.

Breaks things up a bit and takes about five minutes.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:24 AM   #10

At the Canyon try to walk a little ways down the Bright Angel Trail. Just to get below the rim of the canyon is an awesome sight. Just below the rim (1/4 mile or so) is a rock tunnel. Neat.

Russell
Old 06-21-2014, 04:45 AM   #11

We just returned from a Southern Utah tour which was wonderful. Take your time and enjoy the sights. If you are going to the Grand Canyon North Rim Sites 15 and 16 are choice spots. Enjoy the ride.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #12

thanks for the great info on sites and sounds of canyon experience.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #13

A suggestion, go to Williams AZ, south of the Canyon. They have a great RV park next to the train station. They run the train to the Canyon every day. Fun trip. You can stay overnight or return later in the day.Also Williams, on hwy66, is a fun little town.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #14

Grand Canyon trip

Well we are back after 3 weeks on the rv road, including Route 66. All I can say is our country is awesome in beauty. 6,250 miles our round trip . from Maryland to Florida, to Dallas, to New Mexico and Flagstaff to Grand Canyon. Having never seen a desert and being from east I loved the wide open spaces with no trees, home , cars or people. Grand Canyon was beautiful, I parked the Rv on the rim of the canyon and watched sunrise and sunset then set off to Vale Colorado via Idaho. from desert to mountains , every day was a new surprise of natures beauty. Relatives found out about our tip and we had lunch with a Uncle in Omaha (detour)then visited mother in law in Davenport Iowa. then returned home to rest and catch up on bills, etc.
Thank everyone who responded to my post, we took your tips. a trip of a life time in our Winnebago ERA, which operated flawlessly even in the Rockies.