Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2017, 06:50 AM   #57
jww

Nice work Guido !!!
Thanks for sharing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #58

Put the extra parts from the silverware tray project to good use, they were the perfect size for the bathroom wall storage caddy/tray.

Mocked up to get the bracket placement:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170605_195110a.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	164286

DW decided they would look better with white wash to match:

Name:	20170606_193232a.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	164287
Old 06-07-2017, 05:58 AM   #59
jww

VERY nice!
Old 06-07-2017, 10:10 PM   #60

Since we got the 70C, we had an idea about adding a shelf/shelves under the cabinet, but didn't quite find anything we liked. DW picked up these desk file organizers the other day. They were stacked together, but would have hung down to low and been a real head smacker, so I split them up and made single shelf on each side.

The bottom of the cabinet is quite flimsy (Like a hollow core door) it has ~3/4" strips around the perimeter with a ~1/8" lauan skin. I added .0625"x.75"x.75" aluminum for extra support on the outer edge, and used plastic wall anchors for the center/inner screws.

Name:	20170607_192836a.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	164393

Name:	20170607_194206a.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	164394
Old 06-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #61

Thanks. Any further bed info

Guido
Thank you for the inspiration re several projects.
Do you have any further insight regarding comfort improvements of the bed?
jakescase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:32 AM   #62

If you are a back sleeper and are of just the right torso length, you can catch the humps and seams just right and it's fairly comfortable. I am a back sleeper if the correct torso length, so I didn't/don't have much issue with the bed. My wife, however, is a side sleeper and not very happy with it. The Princess and the Pea.

First, we tried a memory foam mattress topper. It smelled. Horribly. It had no shell, so I did not see it lasting very long being rolled up every day, and it was big and bulky, too big to fit in the cabinet over the bed. Where to store it? In the shower? Out in the back storage area?

Then we tried self inflating camping mats.

Name:	20161023_073819a.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	164560

Name:	20161023_073929_resized.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	164561

ALPS Mountaineering Comfort Series (LONG) from Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000MNBLY4?ref=emc_b_5_t The LONG version is 2"x25"x77". Two of these fit the bed very well and we could adjust for individually for personal comfort level. They are made for camping, so they have a durable shell, they be deployed and rolled up easily over and over again. Takes a bit of wrangling to get both camping mats and sheets on the bed, but they roll up easy and fit in the cabinet above the bed. I was pretty happy with these mats. The Princess could still feel the pea.

Third attempt. Apparently, there is an optional air mattress from Winnebago/FlexSteel for the 70C. No idea how much one cost, and don't want to know. I'm sure it's expensive. So we started looking at air mattresses, Yes, you can get a cheap air mattress at walmart for $20. We decided to splurge on the self inflating Aero Bed (2 year warranty) doesn't smell bad, easy to set up and deflate, and folds up and fits into one of the the 16x16x16 storage ottomans.https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 the storage ottomans hold the bed linens by day/foot rest, and fold up out of the way at night.

So far the Aerobed is the winner for comfort. Not sure that I have any pics of the Aerobed in use. I'll add some pics later if I do.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:44 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoLyons View Post
If you are a back sleeper and are of just the right torso length, you can catch the humps and seams just right and it's fairly comfortable. I am a back sleeper if the correct torso length, so I didn't/don't have much issue with the bed. My wife, however, is a side sleeper and not very happy with it. The Princess and the Pea.

First, we tried a memory foam mattress topper. It smelled. Horribly. It had no shell, so I did not see it lasting very long being rolled up every day, and it was big and bulky, too big to fit in the cabinet over the bed. Where to store it? In the shower? Out in the back storage area?

Then we tried self inflating camping mats.
Attachment 164560

Attachment 164561

ALPS Mountaineering Comfort Series (LONG) from Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000MNBLY4?ref=emc_b_5_t The LONG version is 2"x25"x77". Two of these fit the bed very well and we could adjust for individually for personal comfort level. They are made for camping, so they have a durable shell, they be deployed and rolled up easily over and over again. Takes a bit of wrangling to get both camping mats and sheets on the bed, but they roll up easy and fit in the cabinet above the bed. I was pretty happy with these mats. The Princess could still feel the pea.

Third attempt. Apparently, there is an optional air mattress from Winnebago/FlexSteel for the 70C. No idea how much one cost, and don't want to know. I'm sure it's expensive. So we started looking at air mattresses, Yes, you can get a cheap air mattress at walmart for $20. We decided to splurge on the self inflating Aero Bed (2 year warranty) doesn't smell bad, easy to set up and deflate, and folds up and fits into one of the the 16x16x16 storage ottomans.https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 the storage ottomans hold the bed linens by day/foot rest, and fold up out of the way at night.

So far the Aerobed is the winner for comfort. Not sure that I have any pics of the Aerobed in use. I'll add some pics later if I do.
Thanks for all the great information. Do you have a model # on the areo bed?
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #64
jww

Will second the Aerobed !
Stole that idea from Guido when he first mentioned it in a previous post.
We had tried a lot of other options, and were not happy with any of them. The Aerobed is perfect for the application.
We store ours in a small foot stool/storage box.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #65

Sink cover

I noticed that you have a cutting board as a sink cover. I like it, but I found a couple of singe marks on our corian cover where we used the right most burner with the cover on. Might want to be careful with a wood cover,
TexasSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #66

What size or model? We've been doing the foam thing for two years but I'm tired of wrestling with it and storing it.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:56 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwron View Post
Thanks for all the great information. Do you have a model # on the areo bed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSprinter View Post
What size or model? We've been doing the foam thing for two years but I'm tired of wrestling with it and storing it.
It's really fast and easy to set up and deflates and stores easy, too.
It's a Full (74" L x 54" W x 12" H inflated) I usually fill it about 3/4 full, put the sheet on, then finish inflating. It really wedges in nicely when it's inflated. Sheets stay on and it doesn't move around.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...6367?brandId=1
We got our AeroBed at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, we got a 20% coupon in the mail (or you can sign up with an email online and they will email you a 20% off coupon for signing up)

Name:	aero.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	164678

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSprinter View Post
I noticed that you have a cutting board as a sink cover. I like it, but I found a couple of singe marks on our corian cover where we used the right most burner with the cover on. Might want to be careful with a wood cover,
I noticed later model 70Cs got a wooden cutting board. I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:35 AM   #68

New TV mount. The stock Winnebago TV mount weighs about 10lbs, only adjusts on 1 axis, required a bit of force to get it to lock (even if you pull the pin down out of the way), and when in the stowed position is just the right height to knock me right in the head. Last trip out, I really caught my head good, right on the corner. Ouch!

Introducing the RAM Mount.

This is the mount I used.
RAM 1.5" Ball Mount with 3.625" Square Base VESA (4 X 75mm) & 4.75" Square Base VESA (4 X 75mm) (4 X 100mm) Unpackaged - RAM-246-2461U | RAM Mounts
You can order components separately or as a kit. You'll need at least one 100mm VESA mount to fit the back of the Jensen TV (If you don't have the Jensen, check your set to see)

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.rammount.com/about
RAM stands for "Round-A-Mount" and was introduced in 1992. The most innovative product line of its kind, RAM continues to evolve into one of the most sought after accessories for electronics. RAM products have quickly become an essential mounting component for a wide variety of applications including rugged vehicle, industrial, military and defense, material handling as well as any application requiring a robust mounting solution.

RAM offers a diverse, patent-protected product line. RAM ball and socket mounts feature a design revolving around an elastomeric rubber ball. Incorporating a non-slip feature as well as shock and vibration dampening, our often imitated but never duplicated mounting solutions are truly one of a kind and enhance every application they are used in.

Utilizing the finest assembly hardware, durable composites, steel, stainless steel, rubber, and aluminum, our mounting bases and complete kits are manufactured in the USA to perform above expectations and remain cost effective.
For over two decades RAM Mounting Systems has been synonymous with quality and performance. For your next mounting application, choose wisely. Choose RAM!
This is the RAM Mount compared to the old mount:

Name:	a20170609_115448.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	164911

Checking fit, there are many options to choose from.

Name:	a20170609_115459.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	164912

Name:	a20170609_120500.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	164913

You can tilt and rotate in almost any direction.
The smaller 75mm VESA bracket fits 2 of the original bracket holes. The 2 on the right are stock, on the left I drilled 2 holes.

Name:	a20170610_125656.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	164914

Name:	a20170610_135127.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	164915

Name:	a20170610_135546.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	164916
Tidied up the cables with some zip ties and cable clamps. Left enough slack to move the TV as needed. I might move the mount to the left an inch or so, the TV just clears the cabinet.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #69

First big cross country trip to see Becky's parents in NC. Stopped the first night near Lafayette, LA, then stayed with friends (and fellow 70C owners) in Birmingham, AL, then through Atlanta to the Army Family Camp at FT Jackson, SC. A little east of Atlanta I got a low DEF warning, which is odd since I topped off before we left Corpus. Then a few miles later I got 10 starts remainin warning. I stopped to check DEF, and it took less than 2 quarts to top off. We were going to try the MB dealer here in Columbia,SC but apparently they don't service Sprinters there. The Sprinter is running great, so we are going to push on to Becky's parents, then take the Sprinter to the MB dealer in Wilmington, who can handle Sprinters.

Name:	Screenshot_2017-06-17-16-43-03-1.png
Views:	126
Size:	448.3 KB
ID:	165616

Name:	2017-06-18 11.53.32.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	165617
GuidoLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #70

Recall

I just received a recall from Winnebago about the volume control unit (for the steering wheel controls) causing false notices on the dash, among other problems. Don't know if that's what you have going here or not. It's a bummer, as Winne's fix for it is simply to remove the volume control unit. Which is too bad - I like it!

Tags
70a, 70c, 70x, era, winnebago