RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #71

OK, the air mattress fix may "save" my 70C. I was seriously considering giving up on this unit, but we picked up the air bed at BBB in Salt Lake in the middle of this trip. Now I can actually sleep in this unit! Two things we learned - the tip to fill it half way, then put on the sheets is a winner! And when you think it is just firm enough - it isn't - put more air in it! Otherwise you and your significant other will be plastered together in the valley in the middle. Of course, that may be what you had in mind.

It actually fits in the bag provided! We are storing it in the clothes closet, as I think it is too heavy to have swinging around in the shower. Still thinking about the "cubes" discussed earlier.

Last note: Thought we'd not use the mattress pad included, but it turns out that it removes all the annoying squeaking.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSprinter View Post
OK, the air mattress fix may "save" my 70C. I was seriously considering giving up on this unit, but we picked up the air bed at BBB in Salt Lake in the middle of this trip. Now I can actually sleep in this unit! Two things we learned - the tip to fill it half way, then put on the sheets is a winner! And when you think it is just firm enough - it isn't - put more air in it! Otherwise you and your significant other will be plastered together in the valley in the middle. Of course, that may be what you had in mind.

It actually fits in the bag provided! We are storing it in the clothes closet, as I think it is too heavy to have swinging around in the shower. Still thinking about the "cubes" discussed earlier.

Last note: Thought we'd not use the mattress pad included, but it turns out that it removes all the annoying squeaking.

Glad we could save your marriage We did find that the Aerobed can fit under the sofa, but worried that it might accidentally get pinched, so we keep it in the storage ottoman.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170618_100308a.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	165757

Name:	20170619_183449a.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	165760

After you inflate it 3/4 put the sheets on and finish inflating to desired firmness. It wedges the alcove and does not move around.

Name:	20170617_221356a.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	165758

Name:	20170617_221405a.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	165759

Old 06-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSprinter View Post
I just received a recall from Winnebago about the volume control unit (for the steering wheel controls) causing false notices on the dash, among other problems. Don't know if that's what you have going here or not. It's a bummer, as Winne's fix for it is simply to remove the volume control unit. Which is too bad - I like it!
Yeah I got that one, too. Haven't done anything about it yet as after the Alde fiasco I wouldn't trust my local Winnebago "approved" service dealer to check the air in my tires.

That's a lame solution. You'd think they would actually fix it. You can't just crimp in random wires. Why not use a better unit that uses the stock MB wiring in the first place?

Spent a few hours at the Bob King AutoHaus MB dealer in Wilmington, NC and they took good care of us. Got us diagnosed, fixed, and on our way in a few hours.
They checked/updated software, found DTC P147600, P16CE00, P17900. Found/fixed a pinched wire on the downstream NOX sensor between the freshwater tank and frame, and replaced NOX sensor.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #74

Darn Sensors

The pinched wire on the back sensor is a typical problem. Mine had it, and they had seen it before. MB replaced the sensor, but then we argued over who would pay for it. In the end, Winnebago picked up the $1,000+ tab.

But be aware: If the rear sensor wasn't working, the front will fail before too long! MB will cover it under warranty. They've had so many problems with them that the sensors are now covered under a 10 year warranty!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #75

So, as per my June 18th post ^^ we took our first big cross country trip back east to NC to see Becky's parents, and aside from the slight problem with the DEF and NOX sensor we had a really good time.

Bob King AutoHaus in Wilmington, NC took great care of us and got us back on the road, no other issues, and *hopefully* that was a preemptive strike for any other issues with the DEF system.

We were hoofing it pretty good to get to NC, driving 8 hours a day is no fun. On the way home, we took our time and got to enjoy a bit more. We meandered through the mountains of NC and stopped off with my parents for a night, then down through eastern TN and northern GA. In Georgia, we stayed in Cloud Canyon state park about 30 min south of Chattanooga, TN and it was really nice, we should have stayed there an extra night. Then Lake Lurleen state park (Tuscaloosa AL), Fontaine Bleu state park (Mandeville, LA), and Sam Houston Jones state park (Lake Charles LA).

One the way east, we only paid for one night of camping (FT Jackson, SC), thanks to the Harvest Host membership and we stayed with some fellow 70C owners in Birmingham. We did attempt to use Harvest Host two other nights but were unable to get in contact with the Host to arrange a stay. The Harvest Host we stayed with was really awesome and even if we don't use HH again, it was money well spent.

Quick plug for the AllStays app: It's awesome. Yes, it does cost $10 but it's worth it. We used the AllStays app and RV Park Reviews (free website) RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks to scope out potential candidates for our next overnight stay.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #76

While we did not spend the night in the RV, it did survive Hurricane Harvey. Harvey was a Tropical Storm, not even expected to be a weak CAT1 hurricane...oops. Quickly escalated to a CAT 3, then made landfall about 40 miles north of us as a Category 4 hurricane. Luckily, we were on the southwest side (weaker side of a hurricane) so we did not bear the full brunt of the storm.

No damage, no leaks, and I fired up the Alde on propane just to make sure there was no water in the intake/exhaust tube. Looks like my exhaust tube re-route worked like a champ.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:22 AM   #77

Good to hear that you and your Era made it safely...
Old 10-25-2017, 09:09 PM   #78

Been using the Winnebago on a weekly basis to commute for school 3 days a week (150 miles each way) drive up stay for 2 nights and return. Been really happy with the 70C.

One of the reasons I love the Era:
Parked in a strip mall for lunch. Not much bigger than the SUV and fits behind the fire truck line.

Name:	20171003_113110a.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	181025

New dish drain mat

Name:	20171003_135527a.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	181026

Basket from IKEA

Name:	20171013_123622a.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	181027

I've been averaging 17-18 MPG (65-70MPH) my last trip I must have had a tailwind, best MPG to date 21.1 MPG.

Name:	20171011_150556a.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	181028
Old 03-24-2018, 08:35 AM   #79

How about waste tanks?

Guido, Thank you for all the info and projects. Another worry of mine-- Having to be on one's back to connect the waste pipe. Any fixes to make a connection more accessible? The trim restricts getting straight at the connection.
jakescase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:19 PM   #80

Mine does not have the trim/fairing behind the rear wheels. Should be simple to add a 45* elbow, might make it easier for you to hook up the hose.

Name:	Screenshot_2018-03-25-23-12-50-1.png
Views:	24
Size:	545.5 KB
ID:	196779

Name:	Screenshot_2018-03-25-23-11-33-1.png
Views:	29
Size:	754.9 KB
ID:	196780
GuidoLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #81

Did the oild change last week, been putting it off since the Mobil 1 0-30 ESP is usually $10/qt but O'Reilly had it on sale this month for $5.79/qt. Most stores do not keep it in stock, but can usually get it pretty quick. My store had 6 quarts and rounded up another 7 quarts from another store. 14 quarts + Wix filter ~$95

Only need 13, but got an extra quart in case I need to add some between oil change on the road, when 0-30 ESP might not be available.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...pecs-guide.pdf

Name:	mobil 1 esp.png
Views:	26
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	196840

Probably one of the easiest oil changes I've ever done. 13mm Oil pan drain plug super easy to get to. Right up front behind the bumper. No jack required. I managed to get the oil filter cap off with a small strap wrench, since my usual super duper fits everything oil filter wrench did not fit.
Ordered one of these for next time, it will be even easier to change:

84mm 14 flute

Name:	MB 84mm 14 flute.png
Views:	32
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	196841
Old 01-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #82

tip out window

Has anyone replaced the operator on one of the tip out windows? I have looked everywhere on the web cannot find a thing. The part is 70.00 from Winnie.
DIZZY006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:29 PM   #83

No, I haven't, but it doesn't look all that complicated. A note of caution, if the gasket sticks to the glass, don't force it, and have a second person pull out on the glass. I sprayed a bit of dry film silicone spray to help keep the gasket from sticking.

Tags
70a, 70c, 70x, era, winnebago