Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #1

Hauling extra water in small trailer behind a class B

Is this a viable idea?
I am interested in a class B motorhome, Sprinter style, if I can decide on the reliability of the MB power train. I am not a fan of the cars, due to the excessive maintenance they need$$$$$$. Which I consider makes them unreliable, But the Sprinter's mileage, and size really draw me to them. I see a lot of them, and now companies generally do not knowingly invest in expensive to maintain fleet vehicles. And quickly shed them if they are a problem.

I notice the class B tanks are fairly small, for any extended boondocking, so I am wondering about the viability of hauling some extra water in a tank, or tanks on a small trailer behind the sprinter.
I suppose one could hang a tank on hitch carrier, but at 6 lbs to the gallon, you would have a lot of weight wagging the dog, whereas, a small trailer with the added water, should be easy to pull, plus maybe a few other items.
You could easily carry 300 pounds of water, and some gear on a small lightweight trailer.
Thoughts??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 02:37 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One could carry extra water on the roof of the van inside a water bladder
that is hidden inside a fiberglass cargo box to protect the bladder and make it aero dynamic.
Portable RV Fresh Water Tank: 45 Gallon - New World CW1605 - Fresh Water Tanks - Camping World
Roof Racks - Luggage Racks | Cargo Boxes & Cargo Carriers for Cars, Trucks & SUVs

Carrying the water on the roof will save on the cost of trailer insurance, license & registration fees, tires, and bridge/toll fees for the extra axle. Also easier to back up and no weight of a trailer.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #3

I wouldn't want the weight of a lot of water that high - could play Old Harry with your CG and balance. And...... should it leak?
Once I get my Ford van conversion done, I have a 5X10 utility trailer to haul my motorcycle, extra gas and water, camping gear, etc.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #4

A small trailer could be used to carry all kinds of things to help extend camping trips. I use my toad to carry 42 gallons of extra water in six 7 gallon containers. Good luck!
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
For what it is worth, water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon.

Gasoline is around 6 pounds per gallon.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #6

We use this
Portable RV Fresh Water Tank: 45 Gallon - New World CW1605 - Fresh Water Tanks - Camping World
but our situation is a little different.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #7

Where would the water go when you're done with it?

Holding tanks on B's are pretty small.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #8

I suppose another option is a hitch-mounted cargo box. Mike Wendland has a writeup of one he recently installed on his Roadtrek RS. See roadtreking.com. What you are pondering could exceed the weight limit, but the hitch mount gets the weight closer to wheel level and keeps backing up easier.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #9

Smile

If you are alone you can take out the passenger seat and put a tank there. Most dw's I've seen rving are around 200 lbs dry.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloShmarlo View Post
I suppose another option is a hitch-mounted cargo box. Mike Wendland has a writeup of one he recently installed on his Roadtrek RS. See Roadtreking Blog and Forum | Roadtrek Class B RV Lifestyle. What you are pondering could exceed the weight limit, but the hitch mount gets the weight closer to wheel level and keeps backing up easier.
That is something I am considering, and my first choice. but my concern is making the vehicle tail heavy. 50 gallons would be about 400 pounds at the most rear point. Which might make it a lot less enjoyable to drive, especially on less than stellar, or wet roadways.
It depends, to me, on how far away from the rear axel the tail is, so as not to get too much tail wagging back there.
I am much more conscious of tail heavy when loading a trailer, but still like my trucks balanced well for long driving.
It is all trade offs I guess.

Tags
water