Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
FlyFishinRVr-

Have you considered a Class C motorhome? Our former coach had berths and seatbelts for six.

I have. The View/Navion is high on my list but the build quality is keeping me looking.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
OP here.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I agree the proper path is to reach out to LTV and request more/better/safer seating for others that may ride in these vehicles, but given the time it will likely take for them to engineer and implement a solution, it likely removes them from my short list. These guys just don't seem to design these rigs with families in mind, which is a shame.

At this point my options are to go even smaller and look at class B's (vs the LTVs et al in the B+ camp), which I find quite ironic. I can get a RoadTrek class B that is smaller yet seats 7 legally and safely with all forward facing seat belts, 4 of which are 3 point, and sleeps 4! Same with the Airstream if I could figure out a way to make the RoadTrek folding beds work in it.

I think the B+ manufacturers are missing part of the market......
I agree, but have you looked at class B yet? We did and my husband felt they were too small even for the two of us; don't know if it would work for a family. It depends on what type of camping you plan to do - how much time you spend inside vs out - and the size of the family.

Another thing is cargo space. A family would have to pack very minimalistic to get all their gear in or you would need to tow a trailer or at least a hitch mount cargo carrier.

I was ok and think, just for the two of us, we could make it in a B class, except for the cargo issue. And then, there is the issue of wet or dry bath. I was very impressed, however, with the Pleasure-Way Plateau. I thought the quality was much better than Roadtrek. We looked at a used Airstream and it was nice, but if I were to chose a B, it would be Pleasure-way.

I especially like the ease of getting around in the B Vans and they get a little better mpg than B+. Being a van conversion, the construction is also better (no box added to a chassis).

Hope this helps.

suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
I agree, but have you looked at class B yet? We did and my husband felt they were too small even for the two of us; don't know if it would work for a family. It depends on what type of camping you plan to do - how much time you spend inside vs out - and the size of the family.

Another thing is cargo space. A family would have to pack very minimalistic to get all their gear in or you would need to tow a trailer or at least a hitch mount cargo carrier.

I was ok and think, just for the two of us, we could make it in a B class, except for the cargo issue. And then, there is the issue of wet or dry bath. I was very impressed, however, with the Pleasure-Way Plateau. I thought the quality was much better than Roadtrek. We looked at a used Airstream and it was nice, but if I were to chose a B, it would be Pleasure-way.

I especially like the ease of getting around in the B Vans and they get a little better mpg than B+. Being a van conversion, the construction is also better (no box added to a chassis).

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Yes, I've looked at B's and I've also looked at the Pleasure-Way.

Cargo space on the B is certainly a concern, but the advantages of a smaller rig seem to outweigh the space constraints. We mostly dry camp and spend most of our time outside. The RV is basically a nice place to sleep vs a tent, and of course gets us to/from the camping spots. With the small size, we can still get into all the smaller places that we like to visit.

Also, a big advantage to a rig this size is its utility. When not being used as a camper, I can see using it instead of my SUV for things like my daughter's dance competitions or her volleyball games where we need to haul a bunch of kids. Basically it could replace my SUV as the "activity bus", and get better mileage too!

As for the P-way, they don't sell anything made to sleep more than 2, and they have the same limitations with seating as the other B+ rigs like LTV......
Old 07-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #18

They really are missing the mark by not putting in extra seat belts in a small unit, what do they think we want them for, their flexibility also. As far as a C goes, Do LOVE the Winnebago C's and B+'s which now have large windows, what a difference inside! tho the LTV would be a more perfect size for us. And now waiting on what else they are going to do with the Ford Transits. We have a B now with seating for 7, will keep this for awhile, but our B has small tanks, we need to take a small carrier for a couple extras but are able to fit our fold up bikes in it. We do day trips, weekend trips and week long trips, and also take others out for "touring". Have slept a child in it on cushion on floor, kids don't mind that, but would really like to go back up to a small B+ size when they make one with the right design. The European models really are the best in design, they should learn from them, and also give you a large basement area by raising the back bed. This may not work for older people but if you can climb a stair of two having the large outdoor storage is our dream.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjscotty View Post
They really are missing the mark by not putting in extra seat belts in a small unit, what do they think we want them for, their flexibility also. As far as a C goes, Do LOVE the Winnebago C's and B+'s which now have large windows, what a difference inside! tho the LTV would be a more perfect size for us. And now waiting on what else they are going to do with the Ford Transits. We have a B now with seating for 7, will keep this for awhile, but our B has small tanks, we need to take a small carrier for a couple extras but are able to fit our fold up bikes in it. We do day trips, weekend trips and week long trips, and also take others out for "touring". Have slept a child in it on cushion on floor, kids don't mind that, but would really like to go back up to a small B+ size when they make one with the right design. The European models really are the best in design, they should learn from them, and also give you a large basement area by raising the back bed. This may not work for older people but if you can climb a stair of two having the large outdoor storage is our dream.
+1

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Hymer does with their purchase of RoadTrek. Looking at the Hymer US site, they have one model, the Aktiv, which is on the Dodge Promaster chassis. Inside, it's all Hymer, complete with cassette-style toilet, but with some of the tech from the RT (EcoTrek Lithium battery module, VoltStart, and under-hood generator are all right from the RT line).

If they can bring Hymer build quality to RT (who, based on what I saw when I was shopping for one, have lost their way wrt quality) and create a new line of Euro-styled Hymer vans (i.e. build upon the single Aktiv model they have now) to give folks more floorplan choices, I think they will up everyone's game and maybe force some of the changes that many of us have been asking for, primarily sleeping for 3+ in a class B as standard from the factory, which most Hymers have. I think a glimpse of things to come can be had by reviewing the main Hymer website (Link Here).

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this plays out......
Old 08-10-2016, 08:54 AM   #20

Quote:
+1

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Hymer does with their purchase of RoadTrek. Looking at the Hymer US site, they have one model, the Aktiv, which is on the Dodge Promaster chassis. Inside, it's all Hymer, complete with cassette-style toilet, but with some of the tech from the RT (EcoTrek Lithium battery module, VoltStart, and under-hood generator are all right from the RT line).

If they can bring Hymer build quality to RT (who, based on what I saw when I was shopping for one, have lost their way wrt quality) and create a new line of Euro-styled Hymer vans (i.e. build upon the single Aktiv model they have now) to give folks more floorplan choices, I think they will up everyone's game and maybe force some of the changes that many of us have been asking for, primarily sleeping for 3+ in a class B as standard from the factory, which most Hymers have. I think a glimpse of things to come can be had by reviewing the main Hymer website (Link Here).

My husband is obsessed with the Hymer! They really do get it right. We are also really looking forward to seeing what RT does. Love the large storage garage and how their engineers are so far ahead of anything that is being done here in the US in all ways, from build quality to how they design and utilize to the maximize the small space that we love in the B's and B+'s.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #21

The Flex is a Class C - just made for two. LTV doesn't make any B's anymore.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #22
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaVet96 View Post
The Flex is a Class C - just made for two. LTV doesn't make any B's anymore.
Leisure Travel Vans does have a Free Spirit and Free Spirit SS - Class B built on the MBZ Sprinter chassis. Go to www.leisurevans.com or
1-877-992-9906. I believe they temporarily stopped production on the Free Spirit models in order to increase production on the Unity and other models that are in very high demand. Check with the factory on the specifics. You can probably find a 2015 Free Spirit model.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #23

Quote:
+1

Wish we had the Hymer Vans offered in Europe. Wow!
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
Leisure Travel Vans does have a Free Spirit and Free Spirit SS - Class B built on the MBZ Sprinter chassis. Go to www.leisurevans.com or
1-877-992-9906. I believe they temporarily stopped production on the Free Spirit models in order to increase production on the Unity and other models that are in very high demand. Check with the factory on the specifics. You can probably find a 2015 Free Spirit model.
The Free Spirit is only listed under Past Models. While there may have been some early statements that the stoppage was temporary, when I checked with them about 6 months ago, there was no indication that they have any plans to resume production of the Free Spirit. The Unity demand is strong, and until it wanes, or they find another way to increase production, I wouldn't get my hopes up for any B's from LTV.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #25

hi.. maybe check out coachhouse class B rv's... the 261 xl is my favorite.

Tags
travel