RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Never heard of double wall pex

PEX is either red, blue or white, and is single wall.
Yep

tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 07:23 PM   #30

I posted this in an earlier thread, but, here it is again

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Often the leak will follow the line down and only drip off at the lowest point of the loop. It is still possible you just have a loose fitting. Don't get too far into replacing it until you know where it is coming from for sure. You can drain the whole system and then put a couple gallons in the tank with some red food coloring to see where the leak starts. Wrap a few paper towels around the pipes where you can, may help point you to the leak.

On a side note, I looked up your profile and there is nothing there that would tell me what type of RV this is or what year or make so no way to tell you what materials they used on that RV in that time period. It would make helping you easier if you had it in your signature or at least in your profile.
My rig was converted and built in July 2011 and sold as a 2012 model.... it's on the 2011 MB Sprinter 3500...
Manufacturer- Roadtrek RS Adventurous...

It's a pretty nice rig... although, I've had my share of issues in 2 1/2 years.... and 22,000 miles....

I really don't think that the outside flex lines are leaking... but, it's definitely leaking a little water from the base of the water pump.... I don't know what the lines are made of....as long as they are not leaking... I'm not going to fix something that doesn't need replacing.... here's a close-up picture of the problem area. It's where the crimp meets the water pump....

Pump is working fine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20200113_140554.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	272198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200112_175235.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	272199  

MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #31
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Never heard of double wall pex

PEX is either red, blue or white, and is single wall.
Don't know what pex your looking at but you can clearly see this is double wall
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200113_1718026.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	272200  
Old 01-13-2020, 08:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
don't know what pex your looking at but you can clearly see this is double wall
i can clearly see that is not pex . Or at least not the kind we are talking about.

Pex is red white or blue and single wall.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
My rig was converted and built in July 2011 and sold as a 2012 model.... it's on the 2011 MB Sprinter 3500...
Manufacturer- Roadtrek RS Adventurous...

It's a pretty nice rig... although, I've had my share of issues in 2 1/2 years.... and 22,000 miles....

I really don't think that the outside flex lines are leaking... but, it's definitely leaking a little water from the base of the water pump.... I don't know what the lines are made of....as long as they are not leaking... I'm not going to fix something that doesn't need replacing.... here's a close-up picture of the problem area. It's where the crimp meets the water pump....

Pump is working fine...
That white, braided hose in the picture is not pex.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Don't know what pex your looking at but you can clearly see this is double wall
That looks like PE-Al-PE Pipe, not PEX.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #35
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
That looks like PE-Al-PE Pipe, not PEX.
Maybe the difference is Canadian. We also have blue and red. It all started out white, now red and blue are also available at a little higher cost, but it is all double walled and called Pex
Old 01-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Maybe the difference is Canadian. We also have blue and red. It all started out white, now red and blue are also available at a little higher cost, but it is all double walled and called Pex
Part of the confusion is semantics. PE-AL-PE pipe is made of PEX on the inside wall and outside wall with a layer of aluminum between so it may be referred to as PEX by some people or markets. It is multi-walled. The photo clearly shows a multi-walled pipe though it may not be PE-AL-PE, and if only one wall is polyethylene, it may be referred to as "PEX" by some.

PEX, as discussed here and commonly in the US, is pure polyethylene pipe that is extruded into a single wall pipe.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
That white, braided hose in the picture is not pex.
You got that right... It's reinforced braided vinyl tubing. Surprised any manufacturer would use it. Wonder if a previous owner made some repairs?
steve52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #38
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
You got that right... It's reinforced braided vinyl tubing. Surprised any manufacturer would use it. Wonder if a previous owner made some repairs?
I think you both are looking at the wrong pic. The one with me holding the tubing, is pex the one that shows hooked up to pump is not my pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200113_1718026.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	272236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200114_1108403.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	272237  

Name:	IMG_20200114_1108512.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	272238  
Old 01-14-2020, 03:10 PM   #39

Quote:
I think you both are looking at the wrong pic. The one with me holding the tubing, is pex the one that shows hooked up to pump is not my pic.
Again, this is a misunderstanding of PEX pipe and its varied forms.

The PEX shown in your photos is, indeed PEX but is manufactured differently than much that is available in the US. The coil you show is layered with an inner chlorine resistant material, covered by a black PEX which is further covered by another layer of UV resistant PEX. I believe your original picture shows a two layer PEX, without the chlorine liner.

There should be no argument regarding what you call "PEX" and what others call "PEX". However, seeing your version of the product, one can no longer state that PEX is only single wall constructed, and use that as a means to identify pipe. It obviously is not, but US residents don't see much multi-wall PEX pipe.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #40

So does anyone know what the grey tubing is in my mid-80s Fleetwood?

As I said, I have a leak in the line between my freshwater tank and the pump which prevents me from using the water system in my MH.

I'd love to talk with someone that knows the details of the plumbing from that era of MH... I do not know what I am getting into, don't know what tools I need, what replacement tubing to have on hand, what fittings/tools to have in stock, etc.

And since I'll need to dismantle the bed to get to the water tank, and then put it back together so I can sleep that night I'd like to have everything on hand so I can do the job in one session.

And I'd pay to have someone competent help me do it.

Mike
Old 01-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #41

Quote:
No, I got the picture right, I'm just trying to hold to what the OP needs to know. I don't think it matters if PEX is vivid bright red or just kinda bright red depending on which side of the border it's viewed from. I think what's important to the OP is that the hose in question isn't PEX at all. It's common vinyl, with possibly the old PEX compression fittings clamped to the ends.

PEX is used in rigid runs through walls and such. It's not real supple in short lengths, and it doesn't like to "work" -- be bent and rebent as part of its duty cycle. So in flex installations, like the slide transition, it's desirable to use a flexible hose. PEX work also requires a specialty toolkit. Some places will let you borrow or rent the kit.

I don't know how the OP's hose is routed or where it ends up. If it's a more-or-less straight run and doesn't need to move, I'd by all means replace it with PEX, including the compression fittings. If it needs to go around corners or move with the slide, I'd suggest looking at the premade, stainless-braided supply hoses over on the toilet and basin aisle of the hardware store. That stuff can be had in convenient lengths and ends, it's rated for potable water, and it's cheap.

Someone above suggested not going too far until you find the exact location of the leak. That's a good idea. My trick is to dry out and dust the suspect area with talc or dry, unsweetened jello mix. Then you can track the water trail in the talc or the color change (if the wetness is too hard to see) in the jello.

By looking at it, I'm guessing that the leak is going to be at one of the compression fitting gaskets. I'm betting on the ends being salvaged from the old tubing. I'm not a fan of the clamps used to attach them, either. PEX has a cone gasket that may or may not be replaceable. A common water hose end would be more easily serviced. The most likely reason for a connection leak is OVERtightening the fitting.

When I attach a compression fitting I snug it by hand and put the pressure to it. If it needs to be tighter, I try by hand WITH THE PRESSURE UP. When I was younger, I could always get the right point of tightness with hand torque alone. I'm older now and my hands hurt. So I use channel-locks, but only to the point that the weeping stops. Beyond the necessary torque, you are cutting the gasket. When the gasket gets old, stiff, and brittle, attempting to tighten it can perish it. That's why you can't tighten your old garden hose enough to stop the leak -- the more you tighten, the more you cut.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
I've done a bit of plumbing on my motorhome and recently installed an accumulator. I found the 'pex' piping from the factory was becoming brittle. Bear in mind, my unit is 20 years old, but it was clear that the red & blue piping was brittle.

I installed/re-engineered the black tank flushing system a couple of years ago and ran all new line for it from one side of the RV to the other. I used a white 'pex' line that I got from the local RV store. Looking at that line (as compared what is in the unit) it was clear that the replacement white line was much higher quality. I think from now on whenever I am working on the lines it will be policy to replace the original lines with the white line that I got from the dealer.

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, plumbing, replace