Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2020, 12:22 AM   #1

How old is too old?

I don't know, maybe the average age of this group is in their 60 or 70s?

What's too old to be driving a motorhome?

Everyone is in a little different situation and it's not a hard and fast rule, but at some point you're going to realize that handling even a Class B, let alone a really big rig, that it's time to say goodbye....

What do you think???
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 04:50 AM   #2

How long is a piece of rope? When should you stop driving a car?
Old 01-02-2020, 10:09 AM   #3

That's a very glib answer to to a very serious question..
.. I don't appreciate it.

These Class B RVs are seriously big vehicles and while I'm fine right now, there may come a time when I can no longer do it....

I can see from your answer that you're probably very young.... maybe I'm wrong....

All I can say is, if you are not safe driving for any reason, age, physical problems, or mental health, you should NOT be behind the wheel.....
Old 01-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
What answer would make you happy?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #5

Yes, serious question, issue.
Same situation, when should a parent stop driving. Life changing event.
IMHO it is a personal decision depending on physical and mental condition.
Most likely different for different people.
Being in my late seventies, having friends in their eighties, I could see that sometime in my early or mid eighties I might need to face such a decision if I became unsure of my abilities.

Until then, we will continue to travel and enjoy the USA.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #6

There is no magic age. It's dependent upon individual capabilities and facilities as one ages. Because driving is a privilege, the expectation is that the grantee of a driver's license is responsible and capable of self-assessment. That's expectation and not necessarily a reality. In industry, there's the concept of fitness for duty and our fitness needs to be re-evaluated over time. A good health physical, including sight and hearing checks, and frank conversation with one's physician a great start. Many driving schools offer courses for "adult" drivers that help one compensate for lost reaction time and drive more defensively.

I had a neighbor who lost his license at 66 the hard way (that reality piece), and now have an 89 year-old farmer neighbor still running all of his equipment, trucks and towing the monster equipment on a lowboy...
geotexZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
No real definitive answer

Your question, OP, has no definitive answer.

The age of competency will vary from person to person. At 66, I’m probably a better driver than when I was 24. Decades of motorcycling made me much more aware of my surroundings, those around me, and my balance and ability to anticipate scenarios.

Someone who hasn’t had the same life experiences or someone who does not have ingrained habits like shoulder checking, mirror glances or someone with variables like physical ability will not be the same quality of driver.

For example, I don’t consider a class B a monster. I had no problems hopping into the seat of our class A, driving it home, manoeuvring it down the driveway then off to Wisconsin and Mexico. Then again, I had no problems driving our Toyota Supra Turbo at 150 mph.

When will I give it up? When I catch myself making bad decisions. When I am physically unable to climb the stairs or perform the functions necessary to operate safely. When I can’t lean into a turn on the motorcycle with confidence.

Those years may be just a few away. They may be a decade away. Or two decades away.

So while your question does have some merit, there is no easy answer. Some jurisdictions want to have driving tests at specific intervals as we age. If not cost prohibitive, I’d have no problems with that scenario. One 25 year old drivers is not as good as another just like one 75 year old driver is not as competent as another.

Just my honest opinions.

Cheers

DJ
Old 01-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #8

Thank you, great answer.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
Your question, OP, has no definitive answer.

The age of competency will vary from person to person. At 66, I’m probably a better driver than when I was 24. Decades of motorcycling made me much more aware of my surroundings, those around me, and my balance and ability to anticipate scenarios.

Someone who hasn’t had the same life experiences or someone who does not have ingrained habits like shoulder checking, mirror glances or someone with variables like physical ability will not be the same quality of driver.

For example, I don’t consider a class B a monster. I had no problems hopping into the seat of our class A, driving it home, manoeuvring it down the driveway then off to Wisconsin and Mexico. Then again, I had no problems driving our Toyota Supra Turbo at 150 mph.

When will I give it up? When I catch myself making bad decisions. When I am physically unable to climb the stairs or perform the functions necessary to operate safely. When I can’t lean into a turn on the motorcycle with confidence.

Those years may be just a few away. They may be a decade away. Or two decades away.

So while your question does have some merit, there is no easy answer. Some jurisdictions want to have driving tests at specific intervals as we age. If not cost prohibitive, I’d have no problems with that scenario. One 25 year old drivers is not as good as another just like one 75 year old driver is not as competent as another.

Just my honest opinions.

Cheers

DJ
I completely agree, you're right...at 67, I'm a much better driver than I was in my 20s.... with age comes maturity in judgement.... we've made many cross country USA trips traveling thousands of miles and I've seen alot of places.
People drive like maniacs everywhere, and they put themselves and others at risk constantly.... they think they are invincible.... they're not.....

When I'm driving the RV, I have to be very careful with all the other people weaving in and out cutting people off especially in cities... many people don't realize that a big vehicle like this needs more stopping distance.... I give myself more room for the cars in front.... and I don't make fast turns or speed excessively...... there's nothing wrong with going faster in the right situation on the highway....you just don't do it in traffic or residential areas..... just common sense....

As I said, right now is fine, but, you can't "assume" anything..... just enjoy it while you can....
Old 01-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
A related question would be; When it's time for me to stop driving will I be the first one to recognize this fact? If it's a love one will I be humble enough to accept it. I hope so.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #10

Yes, this is a great question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
A related question would be; When it's time for me to stop driving will I be the first one to recognize this fact? If it's a love one will I be humble enough to accept it. I hope so.
I realized that my Mother's driving was becoming a problem when I started feeling uncomfortable getting in the car with her... I could tell that her reactions changed......at first, she didn't want to acknowledge it, but after a couple of accidents , she started to realize and whenever I saw her, she wanted me to drive exclusively... even in her car.....

We all want independence..... driving is one of the last things you want to give up.....

I think, in answer to your question, YES, we will probably be able to realize it, but, many people will rationalize that they are OK..... probably not OK...if you know what I mean....

When it's too much, I'm going to get a self driving car, have someone else drive or call Uber....

Just enjoy your RV while you can... it's not forever....it's not just driving, it's everything else...as well.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #11

Now isnt that the million dollar question, early sixties here for a reference...the first thing that comes to mind is the loss of freedom its actually a life threatening experience. You have to face some very hard questions one would be how sloppy are you with driving your current car..yes sloppy. Have you had a few minor scratches as of late...perhaps the moment of a panic stop and thinking i didnt see that coming....avoiding high traffic areas to go to the store...picking a time of day to drive to avoid traffic. These are signs things are getting out of control. If that upsets your sensibilities then take the time to reflect deeply you see its not about you its about THOSE who might pay a price for any person's diminished capacities ...If anyone takes this personally then its time to reflect...

I just went thru this with my parents, i cannot tell you the guilt i felt and was still do. It wasnt until i quit thinking about them and myself i was able to move forward...i could not imagine the guilt and pain had they found themselves in a wreck hurting themselves or innocent others. Today my fears are still present...they have purchased a golf cart..what can happen in a golf cart....

If your confidence is still high and good go ahead and wiff thru anywhere from 15/200000 thousand. Then take the time to see if your can drive it thru quiet industrial area's....how comfortable are you...how well did you make the turns...any minor bumps so to speak...I did say wiff thru the money...one thing age brings is being conservative with money...we all understand the limits of a budget...we all understand money is finite. Actually we all understand we to are finite...Smiles if your confident to spend the money after those statements move forward and live.

strictly a opinion your mileage may vary..
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #12

After my Mom, in her mid 70's, totaled her car by pulling out in front of a dump truck that was traveling a bit fast (still Mom's fault). She decided it was time to stop driving and stated, "I figured I'd stop if I ever had an accident". I pointed out that that was a pretty poor algorithm.

My dad had a stroke in his late 60's. He was evaluated after that by the rehab hospital and with some accommodations - a left-sided gas pedal and a steering knob - he was driving again after about a year. This, I thought, was not a great decision on the rehab hospital's part as he didn't have great use of his right side. Later, when we went to the vascular surgeon to check on his carotids, the surgeon put his brain scan up on the x-ray light and there was NOTHING in the left Side of my father's head. When I told the surgeon he was still driving, he was aghast. We got Dad to stop at that point. I honestly don't know how he was able to do it. He couldn't speak more than a few words, and had trouble understanding at times, yet he was driving into town regularly.

So when do you stop driving? From my point of view: BEFORE you have an accident. My family is obviously not good a self-assessment, but I do hope I've learned a bit, but did I learn enough?

I would hope that we all would have some insight and listen to those closest to us. Hope is not a plan, though. We are all responsible to make this choice. I hope to choose wisely.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #13

It is too old when the cost to fix and maintain it exceeds what you are willing to pay.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
All I can say is, if you are not safe driving for any reason, age, physical problems, or mental health, you should NOT be behind the wheel.....

All human beings are by nature unsafe drivers. That's why human drivers get so many people killed every year. Driving is a risk/benefit trade off. Your question is about any increased risk from age, but age itself probably reduces risk. Its the other changes that sometimes happen while we are aging that may increase the risk. If you lose your eyesight at 40 it is really no different than losing it at 90.

I also don't think a class b rv is inherently more dangerous to drive than any other vehicle.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote