Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #1

I just bought an 2012 ERA 170X

I just bought a new 2012 ERA. My rig has the two companion seats behind the driver and co-pilot seats. I want to remove the seat behind the drivers seat and install the factory cabinet which is an option offered by Winnebago. My question is 'what is the best way to order this cabinet?' I am prepared to install it myself. Do I go through the dealer or go directly to Winnebago? Any help will be appreciated.

Chris
Slapchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new rig, I hope you get a lot of good, fun, and enjoyable miles. I would go to the dealer, I'm not sure if the manufacturer would have a retail outlet.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapchop View Post
I just bought a new 2012 ERA. My rig has the two companion seats behind the driver and co-pilot seats. I want to remove the seat behind the drivers seat and install the factory cabinet which is an option offered by Winnebago. My question is 'what is the best way to order this cabinet?' I am prepared to install it myself. Do I go through the dealer or go directly to Winnebago? Any help will be appreciated.

Chris
Good question...I purchased a new ERA 2 months ago & have been thinking about the cabinet as well. Looking forward to hearing the answer to your question. Congrats on your purchase !!

Becky
ERAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #4

Congratulations. I am in the market also, please let us know about changing lane visibilty with the cabinet in place.
NeilMace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #5

I always try to cut out the middle man by making the call myself to the Manufacter and they will tell you if you can buy direct or not.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #6

We have the behind the driver cabinet and really like the additional storage space. I'd give Winnebago a call but I'm guessing they will not sell it directly to you so your dealer may be the best approach.
We've owned our ERA for almost a year now and luv it. You might take a hard look at it and, as we did, remove some of the side decals as it is a bit overdone if you ask me. Here's what we did with ours:

2012 ERA Photos by RSchleder | Photobucket
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
We have the behind the driver cabinet and really like the additional storage space. I'd give Winnebago a call but I'm guessing they will not sell it directly to you so your dealer may be the best approach.
We've owned our ERA for almost a year now and luv it. You might take a hard look at it and, as we did, remove some of the side decals as it is a bit overdone if you ask me. Here's what we did with ours:

2012 ERA Photos by RSchleder | Photobucket
I called Winnebago today and you're right, they don't sell them directly to the consumer. We have to go through the authorized dealer. Oh we'll just means it will cost more.--

Funny but I had the same decals removed. I think it looks much better.

Chris
Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #8

[QUOTE=Slapchop;1405755]I called Winnebago today and you're right, they don't sell them directly to the consumer. We have to go through the authorized dealer. Oh we'll just means it will cost more.--

Chris[/

[QUOTE=Slapchop;1405755]I called Winnebago today and you're right, they don't sell them directly to the consumer. We have to go through the authorized dealer. Oh we'll just means it will cost more.--

Chris[/
You could have a cabinet company make one to
Your spec rather then Winnebago spec.
Bris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #9

I cant imagine that the cabinet would block any views as it is roughly the same height as the galley cabinet. It is not a floor to ceiling cabinet.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #10

I am considering building my own cabinet as I am somewhat knowledgeable around the wood shop but I want to get a quote from Winnebago just the same. First, any cabinet that I could build would probably be slightly different in terms of joinery, color and materials and second, there would be a cost for my home-built as well In addition, I believe the OEM Cabinet has a prefabricated steel plate that lays in the bottom of the cabinet and is used as a structural attachment point for the seat floor bolts.

Its a custom cabinet and the last thing I want to do is put something in my coach that isn't right.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapchop View Post
I am considering building my own cabinet as I am somewhat knowledgeable around the wood shop but I want to get a quote from Winnebago just the same. First, any cabinet that I could build would probably be slightly different in terms of joinery, color and materials and second, there would be a cost for my home-built as well In addition, I believe the OEM Cabinet has a prefabricated steel plate that lays in the bottom of the cabinet and is used as a structural attachment point for the seat floor bolts.

Its a custom cabinet and the last thing I want to do is put something in my coach that isn't right.
You are correct, this cabinet uses the same mounting system that is used to secure the seat ( that will be removed) to the floor. This unit is about 1" taller than the kitchen counter top, don't know why but it is. Also it is the darker counter top so if you chose the lighter counter top in your ERA it doesn't match. We have the lighter counter top so the 'new" unit is not a match. It does blend ok though so to us, it's not a big deal. There is also a tall unit available for the space behind the passenger seat (with the secondary seat removed of course) that makes for great additional storage but it seems to me that it would close up the sliding door entry area too much so we choose not to get it.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #12

Extra cabinet top color.

I just re-looked at the 2012 ERA brochure and it appears that the counter top of the extra cabinet does not match either the 2012 ERA light or the dark galley counter tops. It appears to me that it's somewhere in between ( one color fits all I guess) so if a exact color match is important for your ERA, you might want to check it out before you buy/order one.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I just re-looked at the 2012 ERA brochure and it appears that the counter top of the extra cabinet does not match either the 2012 ERA light or the dark galley counter tops. It appears to me that it's somewhere in between ( one color fits all I guess) so if a exact color match is important for your ERA, you might want to check it out before you buy/order one.
The 2013 brochure barely mentions it, other than a little square drawn off to the side of the floor plan. I wonder if you could just buy the steel mounting plate and fabricate a luggage rack to secure suitcases. Can't wait to see the '14 brochure. Fretz said the new ERAs will offer a few solid color options for those who want it to look more like a van than an RV (me).
marineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Bought the cabinet for my 2012. Definitely have to order from the dealer. You can save a little money by shipping direct and assembling it yourself, which is pretty easy. The top does not match the counters, but close enough and the extra storage is useful. It doesn't look out of place. One thing to note: the doors don't come with latches and will rattle and swing open if left as they come. You will want to buy your own latches and install them. I don't get why they wouldn't be included - a real oversight, but easy enough to fix.
cmb0628 is offline   Reply With Quote