RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:08 AM   #1

Ideas to keep front 2/3rds of coach cool.

Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience and opinion on what is the best exterior window coverings for the Sprinter 3500?
I want to keep the radiant outside heat from the sun away as much as possible so the Dometic Penguin II 13500 btu A/C can keep the inside cooler especially towards the front 2/3rds of the inside of the coach.
I do have a 12 volt fan I use to blow the cold air coming from the A/C unit forwards but the front 2/3rds of the coach don't cool very well at all.
This restricts me to staying directly under the Dometic to stay cool.
Does anyone have any experience and opinion on a smallish, portable 110v A/C unit I can plug into shore power and use at the front end of the coach?
I value you opinions and this will help me narrow down the search for these products. Any and all ideas on how to cool down the front 2/3rds of the coach are greatly appreciated.
Thanks all.

G Man

G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2019, 06:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
MagneShades on the front, driver and passenger windows.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #3

Get a roll of Reflectix at Lowes. Cut to fit inside of windshield. Yes ... you can't see thru it but will cool the front by about 10 degrees. Roll up for storage.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R...5-ft-L/3011906
Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM   #4

The problem with portable AC is that you need to vent the heat extracted to the outside. The best systems are two pipes supply and return to outside. This is hard to do in a van.
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:12 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
X2

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Magneshades are superb. They apply on the outside of the coach and therefore stop much of the sun's heat before it comes through your windshield. And the best part is that you can still see out. You still need another solution inside the coach for privacy at night. Magneshades aren't cheap but they are a great product.
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Get a roll of Reflectix at Lowes. Cut to fit inside of windshield. Yes ... you can't see thru it but will cool the front by about 10 degrees. Roll up for storage.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R...5-ft-L/3011906

X2 on reflectix. Also, we put a curtain across behind the seats to minimize the area that the A/C is trying to cool. You can also use the reflectix on any windows that the sun is shining on. They also make "pillows" that fit inside the vents - it's amazing how much heat can come down from the vents.

AudiDudi is online now   Reply With Quote