Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

Inverter

Does anyone know a place or someone that can install a 2000 watt pure sine inverter to my RV’s 120v System in or near to Columbus, Georgia? I have a 2104 Winnebago Era 170X. Any help will be appreciated.

Flat Tow Fiesta
Frank Dumlao is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #2

I would look at craigslist under RV service.

In theory it isn't that difficult but powering a 2000 watt inverter for very long does require a significant battery pack and heavy duty cables.

At least on-line, it looks like you have 1 each group 31, so a 2000 watt load will last about 15 minutes.

I like oversize inverters though - they just run and hardly break a sweat.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #3

Inverter

Harryn, thanks for the response, I have 2 Group 31 AGM batteries, I was thinking more of using the inverter while the engine is running as not to have to run the gen set...on the road or at a rest stop. Thanks.

Flat Tow Fiesta
Old 04-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dumlao View Post
Harryn, thanks for the response, I have 2 Group 31 AGM batteries, I was thinking more of using the inverter while the engine is running as not to have to run the gen set...on the road or at a rest stop. Thanks.
So you want to take out your alternator along with your house batteries? A 2000 Watt inverter can potentially draw 200 amps. How big is your alternator and how much of that rating is already being used?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #5

2000w is a perfect size to provide very suitable 120v power to most things you want to use in your RV - the number of batteries only applies to how 'long' you can do that without additional generator or shore power, or alternator charging of the batteries.

you wouldn't want to wire your air conditioner(s), or the water heater thru the inverter, as they are high draw appliances, but you can certainly make good use of the microwave, fridge, computers, and other devices like your TVs and satellite receivers, etc.

Just like any coach, of any size or inverter type, the number of batteries, their condition, and their amp hours will determine how 'long' you can run off the inverter, at least with no other outside power source. Small devices and appliances can run for many hours, possibly, but use of the microwave, toaster, or coffee maker type 'heating' appliances can much more quickly draw down the batteries.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If you are installing the 2000 watt PSW inverter with one of the goals of being capable of running your Microwave Oven for short periods of time , be sure to check the specs and user manual for the inverter you are considering. Many will state that any single load can only be half the total capacity of the inverter. I had a 2000 watt inverter that would not start my RV's microwave oven, but I could put several separate loads like heaters on it and have it deliver 2000 watts as rated.

I ended up with a Windy Nation 3000 watt PSW inverter to be able to reliably use my microwave on inverter power. I located it very close to the battery bank and used 0 gauge cables for battery and ground direct to the batteries. 300 amp fuse in series with the positive lead. Once the microwave starts the steady DC current drain measures about 140 amps. I use a Victron BMV-700 intelligent battery monitor with 500 amp shunt to manage my DC power system.

Your Sprinter chassis has a 200 amp DC output alternator , you don't need to change anything there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #7

Thanks all for your response...

Flat Tow Fiesta
Old 04-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do not know where Columbus GA is but have two suggestions. ONE if you are in a campground and the other. Well. universal

If in a CG. Ask manager for name of local Mobile RV service tech
NOt hard to install if you know what the Bleep you are doing

IF not in a CG.. GOOGLE: Mobile RV Service Tech Near me.

Now. Mine was installed by Camping world. only a minor screw up

There are other RV dealers in GA. Some of 'em will GORE you but.. Well at least they put that right on the big sign.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
If you are installing the 2000 watt PSW inverter with one of the goals of being capable of running your Microwave Oven for short periods of time , be sure to check the specs and user manual for the inverter you are considering. Many will state that any single load can only be half the total capacity of the inverter. I had a 2000 watt inverter that would not start my RV's microwave oven, but I could put several separate loads like heaters on it and have it deliver 2000 watts as rated.

>snip<

Your Sprinter chassis has a 200 amp DC output alternator , you don't need to change anything there.
Given that the Sprinter has a 200 Amp alternator it is presumed to have need of part of that 200 amps to run the engine. That does not leave 200 for other things.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:26 AM   #10

Inverter

my Sprinter has a 220 amp alternator and 2 group 31 AGM batteries. I hope that will be enough to use a inverter while the engine is running. I am looking for someone or a business close to Columbus, Georgia that can do a professional installation with good equipment. Thanks.

Flat Tow Fiesta
Old 04-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #11

The 220 watt alternator in the sprinter vans is a good quality unit and has very good output above 1000 rpm.

At normal idle rpm, it doesn't have much output so having one feature that "some" sprinters have is a fast idle for this type of use. It is still a good idea to run the engine though because it will help keep it charging some - although there are discussions that standard idle running for an hour needs to be followed by highway driving. ( I will loosely use the term - "blow the carbon out" but you get the idea)

Fast idle might already be built into your van because most sprinter based RVs come with an extra board (I think under the seat) that is used by RV builders and upfitters to connect into the van's sensors.

Slightly re-stating this, even if the fast idle feature isn't implemented on your RV at the dash, if the board is there, then the fast idle feature can be added. If it isn't there, then typically it cannot be added.

I looked on bing maps and there is a decent size river that passes through Columbus, GA. Usually this means that there are marine electricians with ABYC certification. Usually they do top notch work and are familiar with inverter installations.

Just curious - any estimate of how long of time you will run the microwave? 10 minutes is different than an hour.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:06 AM   #12

Inverter

harryn, thank you for your response. I just ordered a Go Power ISW3000 to be installed in my RV. Mid State RV here in Georgia is going to do the complete installation. I know the Go Power ISW inverters are new on the market but I read they were good. I hope I did the right thing...thanks again to all members that made a comment!

Flat Tow Fiesta
Old 05-05-2018, 05:52 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had and will again a 2,000 watt. Note two Group 31's is not really enough battery you need two pair GC-2 (roughly 1.8 times the capacity)

DId not take out my alternatior.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #14

How many amps does the Sprinter alternator send to the house batteries while the engine is running or driving(charging)?

Flat Tow Fiesta

Tags
inverter