Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2015, 02:45 AM   #1

Is it possible for a single person to live full time in a Class B

I am trying to come up with the most ideal for me to live and travel in for a few years. I began thinking I would buy a 5th wheel and p/u, but am leaning more now to a Class A. However I know I would be so much more comfortable driving a Class B such as the ones linked below. I know I would enjoy living in the Class A, but will sure wish I had something smaller when stressing out driving it for hours by myself every couple days.

I really love the style and look of these top of the line used Class Bs. There is nothing I like about a Class C one bit. Don't like the outside overhang which limits your vision, hate the typical floor plans. They all give me the immediate impression of cheap and uncomfortable in every way.

So its one of these type Class Bs or a Class A, either the one I already have or a newer, lower mileage one for full time travel.

Here are the Class Bs I am wondering if I could get along full time in:
Coach House Platinum
Dynamax Corp Isata
Born Free Built for Two
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 03:40 AM   #2

I've had a love/hate relationship with Volkswagen camper vans for many years, and still have one today in addition to my 40' Class A. IMHO, the greatest strength of the Class B units is that they can be used as a daily driver in addition to a mobile residence. Newer B/B+/C units based on large Euro-style cargo vans (Sprinter, Transit, ProMaster, etc) are very attractive to me. Once they grow large enough (and use enough fuel) that you begin to consider a small car for running errands, you might as well buy a smaller Class A and tow the car. People have vastly different tolerance levels for size, weight, cost, functionality, etc. I wouldn't worry much about the driving, though. All of them will probably feel comfortable after a few weeks. It's the living in them that makes the biggest difference.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:29 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Give some serious thought to actually LIVING in the accommodations as provided. Do you want to sleep in the fold out lounge? Do you want to watch tv with your neck turned to the left? If there is no slide out, will you feel cramped after just a few hours? These are all very nice rvs but you need to analyze what specific features are important to you, since you will be in it. Good luck with your search!
Old 05-20-2015, 04:48 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I live alone (Save for a pair of feline types) in a 38 foot Class A.

If I could afford it I'd downgrade but for assorted reasons I can not afford it just now.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:44 AM   #5

For me the answer would be no. The B's are just modified delivery vans which make them easier to drive and park but then the advantages stop. They can be pricier than a class A, have severely limited storage space, small tank sizes, and in many cases bathrooms that are just ridiculous. You will spend at least half your time in the thing either driving, sleeping, eating, whatever, so make sure you can deal with the confined space. Our first "RV" was a 2000 Winnebago VW camper and we liked it. Ok for weekends or maybe a bit longer but in the end it had to go. Moved up to a Winnebago Rialta which was somewhat bigger, but hated the bathroom, and again no storage. If it were me, I'd look at a small A, or perhaps a Sprinter based C (aka B+)
I know some people do live in a b and more power to them. Not me.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:16 AM   #6

We had a Roadtrek 190 Versatile. It had a full size mattress in place of the dinette in the rear. We loved it for weekend travels. Did one 3000 mile trip in it but we were ready for something bigger. Hence the unit in signature line. Great little rig, but was to tight for the two of us. Good luck on your quest.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:27 AM   #7

I'd be OK with the B for plans that included more travel than time staying. Otherwise, it would have to be an A class with toad for sure. Another DP, but that's getting off topic.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:46 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the OP, the three MH's listed are actually Class C's (built on a van chassis). Since they don't have the cab overhang, many classify them as a Class B+. A Class B is a "pure" van with no body mods. With that said, Winnebago, Leisure Travel Vans (LTV), and many others make a B+ configuration. Since you believe you would feel more comfortable driving a B, the most important consideration is determining if you can live inside it. Do you have to make up a bed every night? Is the bathroom wet or dry...is it large enough? Do you have enough interior and exterior storage? Etc. Only you can answer these questions, because everybody's lifestyle is different.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Go small and enjoy the travels. The wife and I had one of these for 5 years, 2005 Leisure Travel Free Spirit 210B, Class B RV For Sale in Beach Park, Illinois | Petite Auto & RV | RVT.com - 140448 traveled 6 months a year and it was stress free knowing we could fit in any park . They cost quite a bit but keep their value and the ability to stop at any roadside viewing area is a great advantage. Get a Superbag to sleep in , it has a pull out sheet https://www.rvsuperbag.com/. The fold down sofa was very comfortable , and was wider than a queen size bed.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep in mind that you know the rig you already own.
Buying used you'll need to determine livability and the unknown equipment functionality (how to fix stuff when you are living in it).
Also, figure in where you going to be staying. For me Campgrounds = the bigger living space in a Class A. Do you like to use your own shower or is the B arrangement OK.
Only you can decide; maybe start with what you already have/know and keep your $$ handy for when you need to change.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:20 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
but will sure wish I had something smaller when stressing out driving it for hours by myself every couple days.
You will be retired. Not on vacation. Why the need to travel for hours every couple of days?
Slow down and stay longer. Campgrounds by the week are much cheaper then by the day. A 300 mile day should be a max. Arrive relaxed and early afternoon to set up.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #12

If I were alone I could definitely live in a Leisure Travel Vans Free Spirit SS.

Leisure Travel Vans - Free Spirit SS - Overview
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #13

Here's a website about living in a class B (It's about a RoadTrek, but has information that may be useful to you) Roadtreking | The small motorhome RV LifestyleRoadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog | Traveling North America in a small motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post
I am trying to come up with the most ideal for me to live and travel in for a few years. I began thinking I would buy a 5th wheel and p/u, but am leaning more now to a Class A. However I know I would be so much more comfortable driving a Class B such as the ones linked below. I know I would enjoy living in the Class A, but will sure wish I had something smaller when stressing out driving it for hours by myself every couple days.

I really love the style and look of these top of the line used Class Bs. There is nothing I like about a Class C one bit. Don't like the outside overhang which limits your vision, hate the typical floor plans. They all give me the immediate impression of cheap and uncomfortable in every way.

So its one of these type Class Bs or a Class A, either the one I already have or a newer, lower mileage one for full time travel.

Here are the Class Bs I am wondering if I could get along full time in:
Coach House Platinum
Dynamax Corp Isata
Born Free Built for Two
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #14

If you are an active person and plan to move around often, and spend very little money in expenses, then the B is hard to beat. Most times you can forgo the campground and park where you like.

You really have to ask yourself how much junk you want to carry around with you and why do you need all that stuff. There are many people happily living and camping full time in B's. There are also many just sitting around in depressing campgrounds in A's because they can't afford to drive them, or can no longer handle them.

Pick your planned style of traveling, your budget, and the class of RV will seem obvious.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time