Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #1

Just picked up my Class B RV

Hi,

after doing months of research on the Internet & RV shows/dealers to see what I did/didn't like in Class B RVs ...... I got an early Christmas present for myself and purchased a used 2004 Great West Vans Supreme Classic RV.

Bought it from a dealer in Toronto called Canadream - it was a trade-in. Couldn't believe the price & low kilometers on it so paid a visit to the dealer, took it for a test drive and placed a down payment .... good thing I didn't hesitate since there was another couple interested in it!

Although a Class B, it does have a bunk/storage area above the cab and a slide-out for the bed/eating area. I'll post some photos when I get a chance. So, in addition to these two features, the other aspects I like are a relatively large standup shower, within the washroom, and the open concept design.

And, I had several people interested in purchasing the A-liner Scout trailer that I had - it's been sold and delivered to a happy, young family of 3.

I'm hoping the weather holds and I can take it out for a weekend mid-April up in Algonquin Park, Ontario - yes, there could still be snow up there at that timeframe.

This is the first motorized RV I've owned. I'll have to see if it suits since I did like the ability to unhook my trailer/SUV and take off down logging & fire roads - I quite enjoyed the "adventure" of that. I know, due to the lack of ground clearance, I will have limited capabilities to do that with my RV (only 4 inches due to a low hanging tank).

Cheers,

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

Here are the exterior photos .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steve's RV 2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	36230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steve's RV 1.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	36231  

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	36232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	36233  

Old 04-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #4

And, two of the trailer that I had since 2006. Very unique. It's all solid walls that hinge into place. Has insulation and dry weight is only 900lbs. I was able to tow it, fully loaded, with a 2.4 L 4 cylinder Nissan X-Trail without problems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	36234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	36236  

Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

Scuba, great looking ClassB. My previous RV was a class B and many times I wish I had it back. Great advantages for parking anywhere, easy to drive and better fuel mileage. Have fun.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #6

Definitely some snow left up here,but mostly in the woods (unless it snows again!) We are on the north side of Algonquin. Mew Lake campground at the south end of the park is open all year and has hydro.
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unique looking units.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congratulations Scuba enjoy your RV and many safe adventures.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #9

Thanks for the comments.

@Timarti ... Mew Lake is the only campground open and where I intend to do the "trial" weekend. Later in May, I'm going to Kiosk for a full week - never been to that part of Algonquin before.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #10

Kiosk is a hidden gem and is one of our favourite places. Boondock only, no hookups but has toilets and water (but not on sites). Right on the lake and very small. Used a lot by campers heading into Algonquin on canoe trips. Two years ago the road in from Hwy 17 was paved (sort of!) Last summer it was freshly gravelled. Not sure if they were planning to re-pave or not. That is 30 km of gravel. We can actually get there from our house on back roads in less than an hour! I have a booking for the first weekend in May if the weather is decent. Favourite sites are 6, 7, 9 and 10. There is a small general store at Eau Claire corner on the way in. Not much on site except bottled water and ice cream in summer. Next nearest stores would be in Mattawa (east) on hwy 17 and another general store/gas bar/LCBO at Rutherglen (west) on hwy 17. You will love it! Can also rent a canoe from the outfitter at the corner of hwy 17. I think they leave some at the campground. We always bring our own.
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #11

Thanks Timarti. I am booked for site 9 and heading up after the May long weekend is over - should be quieter ..... and that's what I like.

What I like is that you can now view photos of the sites and that's how I came to choose site 9.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Very nice! When it is down to just 2 of us I would love a B! We travel light anyway.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #13

We had a Class B for the last six or seven years and really loved it. Enjoy your travels!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #14

Well .... went away for a couple of nights to check out the systems. Good thing I did b/c it didn't go quite as planned.

During the drive up, about 3/4 of the way to my destination, I noticed, the dashboard lights would fade out about once every 12 secs and then started to smell burning insulation on the wiring. This also affected my headlights and engine. On top of this, it was a verrrrry warm evening and the lakes were still frozen resulting in thick fog banks. Had to slow down many times b/c I couldn't see the highway lines.

Got to my destination (Mew Lake, Algonquin Park, Ontario) and noticed that the DC from the batteries was not working. Hmmmmmmm. Checked the breakers & the owners manual - nothing was tripped but it wouldn't work. Couldn't check it the first day due to rain and the next it was snowy & windy. Due to the weather, came back home 1 day early and checked the battery compartment.

What do I find? Melted conduit and the ground wiring (that was in the conduit) had sheered off. So essentially, I had an intermittent ground to the actual batteries that would touch the chassis (as I was driving) and caused the strange electrical issues. It was stranded cable and I suspect as the individual strands were cut by friction, that the remaining strands started to act like a filament in a light bulb, resulting in the melted conduit.

I'll have it fixed by tomorrow. Bought new conduit and a battery cable.