Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #1

Leisure Travel Van GVWR

Hello LTV Unity Owners,

Leisure Travel Vans' Unity would be on our short list if we decide to go the Class B route.
My question is in regards to the GVWR and vehicle axle ratings in general.

Has anyone compared their loaded LTV Unity? We would be two people, a toad, dog and all the usual stuff.
Are you within spec for the front and rear axles?

I've only had a chance to walk through one this summer but most impressed by what I see so far.
Please post your findings and comments would be most welcome.
Thanks.
Tom
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #2

GVWR, GCWR and OCCC

Like you, I have been evaluating the Unity line. Whenever I look at a unit, I go straight to the yellow OCCC sticker. The carrying capacities vary greatly when comparing floorplans so floorplan choice will make a significant difference...up to approximately 400lbs. of OCCC.

IB and TB models have the most OCCC while the MB has the least. I have seen MB OCCC stickers between 901 lbs. to 1133 lbs. Most of the TB models are 1200 lbs. to 1300 lbs.

I have no experience with axle weights to know if they are unbalanced relative to each axle capacity. GVWR = 11,030 lbs. GCWR = 15,250 lbs.
Dizzee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #3

Thanks Dizzee,
I think if we decide to keep a S and B, we may want to do more point to point travel, so a Class B looks more appealing to us. The overall quality, features in the LTV's look intriguing.

There is some pretty serious discussion going on over in the Newmar forum and it's kind of opened my eyes to axle ratings and CCC or NCC. I had taken for a given that these things have what is published as to CCC, but no more.
LTV does not give a lot of detail about the CCC, UVW, etc.

Yes, looking at the vehicle sticker would be my first/next steps.

Safety would be paramount realizing we can't take it all with a Class B.
Hope to drive one next spring.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #4

BevandTom,
I think we are on similar paths. I too have always considered Newmar as my #1. But the changes they've made for 2016 are going to take some time to digest. We too will always have a S&B and have decided to look smaller for touring. Apparently we have similar eyes to quality...I think these two manufacturers are the best in their respective classes. Just need to decide how one envisions their lifestyle.

I have also toyed with the idea of a smaller used Newmar DP but they are difficult to find. I think I want to stay in a diesel MH rather than gas because I anticipate many miles of travel per year...won't be sitting much.

If you haven't done so already, LTV has an active forum area on the Sprinter Forum. Sprinter - Sprinter-Forum

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #5

Dizzee;

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #6

Some actual MB axel Weights

BevandTom,

I knew I had seen some real axel weights for a LTV MB unit. These numbers come from a Motorhome.com article dated February 23, 2015 where they reviewed a 2015.5 LTV MB. According to the article these are wet weights (water & fuel, no passengers or supplies).

Chassis axel ratings: Front=4,410lbs, rear=7,720lbs. Actual weights: front = 3,700 lbs., rear=6,340 lbs. for a total of 10,040 lbs. Net Cargo Capacity of 990 lbs.

Previously I responded that I'd seen OCCC ratings of up to 1,300 lbs. I read my notes again and missed a TB model with OCCC of 1,384 lbs. and an IB model with OCCC of 1,502 lbs. These 2 units were 2015.5 models.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #7

We own a 2015 Unity TB. The factory weight of our vehicle including a full tank of diesel was 9531 pounds. We have a very rare option on our unit (the only one LTV did), VB Air Suspension, which adds about 200 pounds to the rear axle.

We travel with about 15 gallons of water and empty grey and black tanks. We have plenty of carrying capacity for our needs.

If you have further questions you could contact the Triple E RV/ Leisure Travel Vans direct @ toll free 1-877-992-9906. There are a number of people that could assist you. Mr. Brad Wall is in Customer Relations and is the Warranty Manager. They are always most helpful; a really great company.

Cheers!
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #8

Thanks again, guys.
Appreciate the insight.
Tom

Tags
travel