Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #1

Leisure Travel Vans

Hi,
I will be a new RV owner soon & this is my first posting.
After a 2 years of research we have settled on the LTV Unity CB -
now the options - can I please get some help in the selection, what are the pro/cons of:
Generator - Onan 3.2 Diesel - $8490 Con - Price! are there any Pros?
or Onan 3.6 LP - $4290

Water Heater - Tankless - $358 - I understand this uses a lot of LP?

Jacks - Stabilizer Electric (2 only) - $1144
I can understand the concept of Leveling jacks- do these do the same?

Macerator - $884 - Is there any real benefit?

Solar Panel - 160 Watts - $1281
As a former boater (sailboat) we preferred to anchor out, rather than stay in marinas? I think that once we know what we are doing - we'll probably enjoy the solitude - on occasion.

If I can get some help our education may not be expensive - as the options are certainly rich $$.

With Regards

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #2

Timeline, on the generator, the only real reason to buy the diesel genset is if you are going to use the generator alot, as in put many hours on it over your ownership time. Being a diesel, the motor will last longer, and you have the luxury of using the same fuel as your Sprinter engine. The propane unit is slightly quieter, has a throwaway motor, but don't let that scare you, it's only a concern after many, many hours of usage, and uses a bit harder to find fuel source.
Can't comment on the jacks or levelers as we've never had them or needed either.
If there's any chance you'll do much boondocking at all, then go for the solar. Spend the $$$ saved on not getting the diesel genset on the solar. I would.
The tankless water heaters available right now are just not quite there yet for RV use. Maybe in a few years they'll be more suited, but as of now, they seem to be propane guzzlers, along with having to run more water through them to get up to speed so to speak. If boondocking, water is precious to you.

(Incidentally, your Unity is a class C, not a true B)

Hope this helps

bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #3

Hi bobojay,
Thank you for your comments - at this stage every bid of advive helps.
Regards,
timeline
Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

Actually yours is a B+. Looks very similar to ours which is 10 years old and says B+ on side of it. Good luck with it, it's a Beautiful RV. I want to upgrade so badly to a Leisure Travel if we can get the nerve to spend the money lol. Personally like stabilizers, 2 is enough for your size (same size as ours), would definitely get a macerator and if possible solar. Wouldn't bother with the more expensive generator if trying to save money.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #5

Leisure Van Unity CB

Hi cjscotty,
Thanks for the comments. Remember I've never owned an RV - so my questions may seem off the wall.
Stabilizers - aren't they a must - when you try to level the RV?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #6

Hi cjscotty, (again)
I'm getting familiar with this site - I disconnected before I was ready -
To continue - Macerator - you advise - "definitely get" - are they prone to problems?
I was thinking that gravity should work. No matter how you slice or dice it - poop is poop. Or - is there something to be gained by spending the money? Comments please. Re the generator I will go with LP - I couldn't justify the expense.
Solar - will be a go. Since there are no units to see anywhere near Montreal - I will probably go to Winkler in August to actually see an drive one.
Regards,
timeline
Old 07-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #7

The LTV unit is a nice machine.

Re the generator: If I was looking for an RV and it had a propane gen, that would be a show stopper for me. It is primarily because because the propane tank is usually small and diesel fuel is available almost at every service station, but not so for propane.

Re the macerator: I will never have another RV without one. I have used a macerator for about 8 years. This provides so many more dumping opions than a gravity feed system. I have dumped up to 100' with an elevation of several feet. I often dump into toilets also if other options are not available.

I would also get a solar system if that option was available.

Hope my comments based on my >50 yrs of RVing and owning many units starting with a popup TT are of value in your procurement.

Good luck on whatever options you choose.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Re the macerator: I will never have another RV without one. I have used a macerator for about 8 years. This provides so many more dumping opions than a gravity feed system. I have dumped up to 100' with an elevation of several feet. I often dump into toilets also if other options are not available.
An aftermarket system, or one that comes with a van?

I specifically avoided getting a van with one of these because of the horror stories I've heard with them breaking down and the pump, hoses, etc being packed with poo.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

An aftermarket system, or one that comes with a van?

I specifically avoided getting a van with one of these because of the horror stories I've heard with them breaking down and the pump, hoses, etc being packed with poo.
I have had an "add on" on my class "A's" but rigged as permanent and now I have a factory installed unit. Like anything, more components = lower MTBF. I carry a spare assembly but have never had to use it. Even the factory installed unit has the regular "twist off" connection where a regular sewer hose can be connected. I have never had a problem. I find the convenience of increased dumping options and a cleaner dump best for me. I really prefer this method vs the traditional stinky skinky. But to each his own. The macerator is my preference.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeline View Post
Hi cjscotty, (again)
I'm getting familiar with this site - I disconnected before I was ready -
To continue - Macerator - you advise - "definitely get" - are they prone to problems?
I was thinking that gravity should work. No matter how you slice or dice it - poop is poop. Or - is there something to be gained by spending the money? Comments please. Re the generator I will go with LP - I couldn't justify the expense.
Solar - will be a go. Since there are no units to see anywhere near Montreal - I will probably go to Winkler in August to actually see an drive one.
Regards,
timeline
I agree with you. Being female I like bc it's easy and it's clean and I'm also a germ phobe but heard people have problems. Also in smaller tanks helps as it chops up the waste but not a must and in your case would probably not get then. Good luck with your purchase, it's a beautiful motorhome!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #11

If you planning on using the generator alot to run the AC get the diesel generator. If you're getting solar with a good size battery bank and inverter just go with the propane generator.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #12

You'll see a lot of 'I'll never have a propane generator' comments and they may be accurate with respect to a large Class A but in a Class B/small C... not so much. They are really two different applications and different applications have different answers.

In terms of longevity there's not going to be much difference between the Onan 3600LP (propane) and 3200QD (diesel) because they are both air-cooled 3600-rpm engines. The typical water-cooled, 1800-rpm diesel gensets found in Class A RVs will have a longer life, but that's not what we're talking about here, apples and oranges.

Runtimes also won't be all that much different. The diesel generator can only use the top 3/4 of the fuel tank (about 19 gallons in a Sprinter), and even that assumes that you will arrive at your destination with a full tank. Arrive with half a tank and you may only have 7 gallons available. Diesel gensets uses less fuel so that is an advantage, but bottom line depending on how much fuel you have available in your main diesel tank and the size of your propane tank you may or may not have longer runtime with the diesel. Also while runtime can be very important in a large Class A where you might need to run the A/C all day long to keep the coach cool when driving, this is almost never necessary in a Class B/small C as the dash air is usually adequate. Plus, a large Class A might have a 150-300 gallon diesel tank providing a significant fuel capacity advantage over propane, not 26 gallons as with a Sprinter. Again, apples and oranges.

The one factor that remains is that a diesel genset means looking for propane less often (if you use the generator a lot) That's not usually a problem in the US so not really much of an issue, and whether it's worth an extra $4,000 to you for the occasional convenience is a personal decision. IMO you would have to use the generator a lot for it to be worth it, and in a small RV you probably won't be unless you frequently need air conditioning for extended periods while stopped. Most everything else is best done with an inverter so solar may be a better place to put the money.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeline View Post
Hi,
I will be a new RV owner soon & this is my first posting.
After a 2 years of research we have settled on the LTV Unity CB -
now the options - can I please get some help in the selection, what are the pro/cons of:
Generator - Onan 3.2 Diesel - $8490 Con - Price! are there any Pros?
or Onan 3.6 LP - $4290

Water Heater - Tankless - $358 - I understand this uses a lot of LP?

Jacks - Stabilizer Electric (2 only) - $1144
I can understand the concept of Leveling jacks- do these do the same?

Macerator - $884 - Is there any real benefit?

Solar Panel - 160 Watts - $1281
As a former boater (sailboat) we preferred to anchor out, rather than stay in marinas? I think that once we know what we are doing - we'll probably enjoy the solitude - on occasion.

If I can get some help our education may not be expensive - as the options are certainly rich $$.

With Regards
This is from my experience, others may have different thoughts:

Generator - we had an LP genny for five years and never had a problem finding LP and never ran out. We did not boon dock all that much so YMMV. I personally would not hesitate to own another LP genny. The diesel generator is slightly louder and in this case a lot more $.

Have not owned one but have read that tankless water heaters use more water because it takes time for the hot water to get to the shower.

Stabilizer jacks do just that - no leveling. I would pass as they also add weight. We did not have an issue with our Sprinter rocking while parked, except in extreme windstorms. In that case more concerns than just rocking!

Had an add-on macerator which cost about $250 so the LTV price seems high but if you want one they are nice.

Solar - definitely. They will also keep the batteries charged while stored (outside obviously).

Enjoy!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #14

If you are an infrequent user of a generator, look at the option for the extra engine alternator instead. You can high idle and use some appliances or air conditioner for short periods. That way you aren't carrying around a generator you don't need.

If that isn't available, then I'd choose based on expected frequency of use. If you are going to put thousands of hours on a generator, I'd go diesel. Otherwise, the LP will do you.

Tags
travel