Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #1

Looking at a 2015 LTV Serenity. Advice?

Hi all.

New to the forum and considering our first RV: a 2015 LTV Serenity. It's a low (~ 3K) mileage unit that looks to basically have been driven from the midwest dealer to the coast (where we will be looking at it), and not much beyond that.

I'm wondering if you all have any advice as to what to look at / check on / confirm with this model, or for LTV generally, or even for Class B+/Cs as a rule.

I really appreciate the guidance as we undertake this new project!

/adam

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
ablock,
The Triple E - LTV is an extremely well made line. Great company which has been around for 51 years, located in Winkler, Manitoba, Canada.

I will leave you a Personal Message -

Old 08-05-2016, 05:53 PM   #3

Not sure if the 2015 has the same front table setup as the 2016, but if so, you might want to check the clamps that allow it to telescope up and down when converting to a front sleeping area. On the 2016 that I looked at, the front table was very wobbly and the clamps didn't appear to hold the table up very well (i.e. I would never set anything even moderately heavy on it for fear the whole thing would collapse towards the floor).

Best luck in your search!
Old 08-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

Thanks, that's good to know about the table.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #5

@FlyFishinRVr:

We checked out the table. The clamps seemed solid. However, the sliding mechanism was not particularly smooth — it's just interlocking rails with a lot of slop that bind if you have any pressure on the table top. It is something I would want to reengineer if possible.

Thanks again for the tip!

/adam
Old 08-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablock View Post
@FlyFishinRVr:

We checked out the table. The clamps seemed solid. However, the sliding mechanism was not particularly smooth it's just interlocking rails with a lot of slop that bind if you have any pressure on the table top. It is something I would want to reengineer if possible.

Thanks again for the tip!

/adam

So do you think you're going to pull the trigger on it? I assume you've gone through all of the systems and confirmed they're all working as expected? Only other thing I could suggest would be to confirm the batteries are in good shape. If it has a solar panel to keep the batteries topped up you should be fine (assuming it's been stored outside where the sun can do its magic), if not as long as it's been on some sort of trickle charger it should be OK too. Seems like a good find if the price is right......

Best luck!
Old 10-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #7

I now have mixed feelings about Leisure Travel Vans and Triple E. We bought a brand new 2016 Serenity and I'm having one minor problem after another. The first day out, the rear left tail light went out. We took it back and they supposedly fixed it. When we got it home, the light went out again. This time I took a crack at fixing it and got it going for about a week. It is out again.

On our first trip, the front end vibrated at 65 MPH. The dealer can't do any thing about that so Triple E said to find a frame shop to check the alignment and balance the tires. After calling several truck repair places, I finally found a place that would align a Sprinter chassis and balance the wheels. It was about an 80 mile round trip for that service and it cost $357. I have yet to be reimbursed.

The next problem is the 3rd brake light. It is full of water. I thought I could remove it, dry it out, and re-seal it. Nope... it is wired solid to the back of the shell and it looks like it will take quite a bit of disassembly to get it off.

Then, yesterday morning the propane/co alarm is going off and I can't figure out why. I had to power off the coach batteries for 15 minutes and the alarm quit when I re-powered up.

We like most other aspects of the unit, but when will we stop having all these problems? The reason I didn't want to buy a used one was because I didn't want a bunch of maintenance headaches right off the bat.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #8

Disappointing to hear that.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #9

Hoosierrun sorry to hear about your troubles.
Make sure you take her for a drive at different speeds, both smooth and bumpy roads. Listen for rattles and creaks and make sure nothing is loose that's needs tightening or repair.
Has a reputation for a well made vehicle.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #10

Brand new 2016 Serenity

Disappointing to hear. I personally like the Serenity, if not for my Chinook Concourse. However, I'm the opposite of you in that I would never buy new for two reasons:

1. The major hit you take on depreciation the moment you drive it off the lot, and;

2. Despite Triple-E/LTV's reputation of building a good product with the Serenity, the RV industry as a whole has suffered from sub-quality workmanship and quality control over the past few years.

I'd be better off going with a used RV owned by a responsible individual who has properly maintained it, and has been gone over thoroughly via an independent, professional inspection.

Such was the case with my purchase as the third owner of a 1999 Chinook Concourse 2100XL. Back in the day, brand new, they went for $56-$72K. I picked mine up in 2008 -- via Craigslist, of all places -- for under $20K with 51,000 miles on the odometer.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #11

Just another update on my Serenity. On our first night dry camping (Natchez Trace Meriwether Lewis campground), it got pretty cold and we turned on the furnace. It came on OK, and went through the new furnace burnout which of course set off the smoke detector and stunk a bit, but the big problem is that it would not come on again and we were quite chilly by morning. We never could get it to re-start until the vehicle was driven to the next location. This continued for the rest of our trip. The furnace would run 1 time and lockout until the vehicle was driven again.

When we got home a couple of weeks later, I notified my dealer and Triple E. I was told to call Suburban Furnace and get warranty repair from an authorized repair center. A Suburban tech came out and disassembled part of the seat enclosure to get to the furnace. Then after studying the situation he declared that he could not fix it due to difficulty accessing the unit (he was a big guy and definitely not a young fellow). I was billed for a service call for which Triple E is supposed to reimburse me for.

After talking to Triple E and discussing how to remove the seat enclosure, I determined that my choices were: 1. Take the RV back to the place of purchase which is about 100 miles away and take my chances that they could fix it. I had my doubts since it sounds like they would disassemble the seat enclosure and then sub out the repair (probably deliver the furnace to a repair depot). 2. Buy a brand new furnace and install it myself for under $400 shipped. 3. Attempt to diagnose and fix the unit myself. I am a DIYer and a former engineer (now retired) and electronics field tech.

Logically, option 1 would have been the right thing to do.. i.e. make the manufacturer fix their faulty product. However, that would have been the most expensive due to the non-reimbursable incidentals of fuel cost, lodging costs, vehicle rental (possibly avoided by taking the toad) and likely multiple trips. As it ended up, I spent the weekend taking it apart and fixing it. The problem was that a mechanical sail switch was getting stuck closed due to the edge rubbing on the heat chamber. This was simply sloppy assembly work on the part of the furnace manufacturer.

So far, most of my problems have not been the fault of Triple E, but poor quality of the installed components that make up the RV. It might have helped if Triple E could have tested the furnace through a few cycles before shipping the unit out.

Also, I did get reimbursed for the alignment, wheel balance and truing of the tire that caused the vibration (previous post).

For those folks new to buying a motor home, this may be an example of what can happen. It is a lot different than buying a car where you can just drop it off at the dealership and say 'fix it'.

Tags
advice