Just another update on my Serenity. On our first night dry camping (Natchez Trace Meriwether Lewis campground), it got pretty cold and we turned on the furnace. It came on OK, and went through the new furnace burnout which of course set off the smoke detector and stunk a bit, but the big problem is that it would not come on again and we were quite chilly by morning. We never could get it to re-start until the vehicle was driven to the next location. This continued for the rest of our trip. The furnace would run 1 time and lockout until the vehicle was driven again.
When we got home a couple of weeks later, I notified my dealer and Triple E. I was told to call Suburban Furnace and get warranty repair from an authorized repair center. A Suburban tech came out and disassembled part of the seat enclosure to get to the furnace. Then after studying the situation he declared that he could not fix it due to difficulty accessing the unit (he was a big guy and definitely not a young fellow). I was billed for a service call for which Triple E is supposed to reimburse me for.
After talking to Triple E and discussing how to remove the seat enclosure, I determined that my choices were: 1. Take the RV back to the place of purchase which is about 100 miles away and take my chances that they could fix it. I had my doubts since it sounds like they would disassemble the seat enclosure and then sub out the repair (probably deliver the furnace to a repair depot). 2. Buy a brand new furnace and install it myself for under $400 shipped. 3. Attempt to diagnose and fix the unit myself. I am a DIYer and a former engineer (now retired) and electronics field tech.
Logically, option 1 would have been the right thing to do.. i.e. make the manufacturer fix their faulty product. However, that would have been the most expensive due to the non-reimbursable incidentals of fuel cost, lodging costs, vehicle rental (possibly avoided by taking the toad) and likely multiple trips. As it ended up, I spent the weekend taking it apart and fixing it. The problem was that a mechanical sail switch was getting stuck closed due to the edge rubbing on the heat chamber. This was simply sloppy assembly work on the part of the furnace manufacturer.
So far, most of my problems have not been the fault of Triple E, but poor quality of the installed components that make up the RV. It might have helped if Triple E could have tested the furnace through a few cycles before shipping the unit out.
Also, I did get reimbursed for the alignment, wheel balance and truing of the tire that caused the vibration (previous post).
For those folks new to buying a motor home, this may be an example of what can happen. It is a lot different than buying a car where you can just drop it off at the dealership and say 'fix it'.