Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #1

Melbourne 29D 29X

We are looking to downsize from Class A 2004 Damon Intruder. We do a lot of dispersed/dry camping now with ATV's etc.. in Colorado. Looking at the Melbourne from Jayco and see they came out with 4x4 in 2014/2015.

However, website now does not say anything about them. Was this an experiment? Does anyone know if there are any plans from Ford to add the 362 horse V10 into the B chassis vs. the 305 Horse?

Did anyone out there buy one and can share the experience, performance, towing capability, ride quality etc... of the 4x4 unit. The 4x4 might be handy but more intriguing is the higher ground clearance vs. a traditional Melbourne or other B unit. I would be interested in overall satisfaction buy performance is my key concern with the added weight etc...

If not the 4x4, what about Melbourne in general.

thank you, Gary
Bakeryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeryman View Post
We are looking to downsize from Class A 2004 Damon Intruder. We do a lot of dispersed/dry camping now with ATV's etc.. in Colorado. Looking at the Melbourne from Jayco and see they came out with 4x4 in 2014/2015.

However, website now does not say anything about them. Was this an experiment? Does anyone know if there are any plans from Ford to add the 362 horse V10 into the B chassis vs. the 305 Horse?

Did anyone out there buy one and can share the experience, performance, towing capability, ride quality etc... of the 4x4 unit. The 4x4 might be handy but more intriguing is the higher ground clearance vs. a traditional Melbourne or other B unit. I would be interested in overall satisfaction buy performance is my key concern with the added weight etc...

If not the 4x4, what about Melbourne in general.

thank you, Gary
The 4x4 model I have seen is the 2015 Melbourne 29D. I believe that there were only a handful actually produced. They are pretty sharp. The tow capacity is 5,000 lbs.

I have not heard of any plans to change the drivetrain for 2016.

Dodger52
Dodger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chinook offered 4x4 in our model year (Chinook Baja). The prior owner of mine installed a 4" lift because he took it and ATVs to Moab. I've been happy with the extra ride height although I also added a rear Hellwig anti away bar. (Many folks do this regardless of rig height). I also have rear air bags that the prior owner installed to replace the mor-ryde suspension that came stock from Chinook. I keep 40-50 PSI in it. Higher amounts result in more "bounce" to the ride.

Be careful if you lift it. Action van for example has the proper conversion that assures correct wheel alignment.

http://www.actionvansuspension.com. Is the brand that he installed.

You can also have it converted to true 4x4 from companies like Quadvan that use genuine Ford 4x4 parts and thus allow the warranty to not be voided. http://www.quadvan.com

Quadvan has experience with converting RVs.

Quigley is also a very common company that does the conversion, including directly for Ford. http://www.quigley4x4.com.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #4

Try asking in or searching the class C forum, because that is what that RV is.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote