Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #1

Mercedes BlueTec Diesel V6

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a 2018 Winnebago ERA 70M and in my research have come across some alarming reviews and experiences with the BlueTec Diesel engines, namely costly repairs and alarming breakdowns. Does anyone have any experience with these engines and suggestions/encouragements? Thanks so much.
Catchingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchingsun View Post
Hi, I am looking at purchasing a 2018 Winnebago ERA 70M and in my research have come across some alarming reviews and experiences with the BlueTec Diesel engines, namely costly repairs and alarming breakdowns. Does anyone have any experience with these engines and suggestions/encouragements? Thanks so much.
When they run as designed, they are great. Good mileage and decent power. I am one with an alarming breakdown and it was darn scary. Sprinter/Mercedes dealers are spaced apart and not convenient unless you are in the population areas. Repairs out of warranty can be expensive, and even maintenance costs are on the high side. My research (after my breakdown) indicates that the problems are not real widespread, but if you happen to be one of the unlucky ones, get ready for a possible long delay in getting it repaired.

The class B and class C RV industry has a lot of vested interest in Mercedes' success since there are a large number of companies building these units on the Sprinter 3500 and 2500 Sprinter platforms. So I guess it would not be abnormal to hear of a few horror stories out there. With what I went through, I would probably consider all options, but not remove Mercedes from the picture. In the end, they helped cover my downtime expenses which would be rare for any vehicle manufacturer to do.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:57 PM   #3

Are all Mercedes V6 diesel Blutec engines? How about the 5 cylinder Diesel engines, are they blutec too and having the same costly maintenance issues as the V6?
Arsenalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenalfan View Post
Are all Mercedes V6 diesel Blutec engines? How about the 5 cylinder Diesel engines, are they blutec too and having the same costly maintenance issues as the V6?
There are no 5cyl engines since 2006. They are not BlueTec. BlueTec is just a name for the emissions system that requires DEF fluid. It's the MB term for it.
The problems you hear about are not with the engine itself, it's with the emissions equipment on it and behind it in the exhaust stream. MB seems to be getting things squared away slowly. Very slowly....
Sprinter dealers are few and far between. Regular Mercedes car dealers can't work on Sprinters under warranty. They have to also be a Sprinter certified dealer
Old 03-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #5

It's possible the OP is referring to the Ford inline 5 cylinder diesel found in Thor and a few others. It is a 3rd generation design from the European market. Time will tell how the US emission systems requirements/design will work with this unit.
From what I've read, the Merc Bluetec does poorly under cold weather stop and go traffic (like sprinter courier vans in city life).
Old 03-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Mercedes BlueTec Diesel V6

Not knowing from first hand experience but I have read several who have problems because MB has problems with diesel over 5 % bio ... which if your out west is almost impossible to find 5% or less. The “ fix” was to change the oil frequently I think one guy told me ? Why I don’t know . Just that frequent several grand fixes were in store for those beyond warranty
MB / sprinter specs were not to use bio over 5% and if you do use 10 or 20% don’t use a steady diet of it.
I’m still not believing some of the problems I’ve read because the sprinter is in use all over as a delivery/ service van one would think the problems would be solved.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:02 PM   #7

There are a couple of sites that explain the issues with the Bluetec engine. Read them. Discount all the "my 5 year/15 year old Mercedes was wonderful" comments as they are talking about a different engine. From what I have seen it comes down to the lawyers setting standards the industry cannot meet. VW took a bullet for the industry. Mercedes dodged the political problem but not the technical one's. If you choose to buy one be scrupulous about maintenance and keep a reserve fund in case you are one of the (un)lucky folks.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #8

There is one paaost running around the forums on the BluTec 6 cylinder, supposed by some mechanic "who has years of experience" and all he does is badmouth everything about the engine. Truth be told, it is a very good engine as long as you keep up with the maintenance schedule, don't overload the rig thereby overtaxing the engine and driving it like you stole it. This goes with any engine and performance/longivity. There have been some horror stories associated with the BluTec and that will happen with any engine or driveline. I am quite happy with my unit. However, I do wish there were more "authorized" service centers around. Closest one to me is about 100 miles for factory service. Basic stuff, get done locally, cheaper.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #9

Truth is that the "badmouthing" is explaining what happened and why with Mercedes. It's at least worth a read to see what he is saying and why he is saying it. The truth includes the fact that Mercedes is not currently making any diesel cars for US sale. Politically there is a cadre of folks trying to kill off diesel with clean air regulations.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mercedes is not offering diesel cars in the US because the demand has dropped to a point where it just isn't economically feasible. Why? Modern gasoline engines have finally reached mileage numbers that are equal to or better than what you can get with a diesel. Trucks still make sense because no gasoline engine currently produced can develop the torque and fuel mileage that a diesel can.

So as normal, consumer demand and economics drive the decisions.

Oh, and biodiesel over 5% - really not a problem. Just don't run 20% biodiesel all of the time but in a jam, it's fine.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #11

Gasoline powered vehicles will never hit the same fuel economy as a diesel because diesel fuel has more energy per gallon than gasoline.
It is not a secret that the EPA has been working hard to discourage diesel cars and light trucks. It may be bad marketing to point out that all the folks involved are having a hard time meeting the latest standards. VW got nailed, Mercedes is not far behind them. That seems to be fairly well known in the community that follows those things.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:10 PM   #12

2014 Winnebago ERA

We've had a Sprinter chase RV since 2015 and put 51,000 miles on it. Other than regular service, we've had to have the DEF system replaced under warranty in Canada (unscheduled week in Kamloops, didn't get to Jasper before the snows) and we are currently waiting for a new driver side airbag cartridge and wheel sensor failed on our last trip. We have definitely paid for more RV related maintenance than chassis maintenance. I fix what I can.
clintomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #13

Our 2013 Sprinter class B has not had any problems. 35k miles. Regular service and air bags are the only time we’ve had to visit MB Sprinter dealer. Fixed a few minor things, like the dumb windshield washer sprayer, myself.
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #14

The law changes that created problems were finalized in 2016. Implementation followed. That is why all you folks with older diesels are doing fine. They do not need to make the specified performance that is causing all the headaches now.

That is also the root cause for Mercedes pulling the diesels out of the current car lineup. They can do it for cars but the attraction of the small truck truck market is the diesel. Lose the engine and they lose the market so they are still putting them in there.

Tags
diesel