Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #1

Microwave to convection changeover on Leisure Travel van

We have a 05 FreeSpirit by Leisure Travel which we purchased new at factory ( with help of a Tx dealer) in April 05. Unfortunately they were not installing Convection/microwave until about 3 mo later as we were told. Our microwave still works but I would love to change to a convection/microwave. So far I can not find one narrow enough for the cabinet. I wrote LeisureTravel/triple rv but they had no suggestion as the unit they now install is 20 in wide and we need about 18 in wide. Have looked at Dometic site along with various RV suppliers and come up empty. Anyone have any ideas on who might make a small convection? Really not enough space to remodel cabinet either.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Velda

RVSolomons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #2

There are scads of portable convection ovens on the market and most all of them pullless AMPS than a microwave. Pick your size and go for it. K-Mart, Wallmart, Sears, to mention a few.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #3

I appreciate your reply, but this is a tiny cabinet in a Class B Van conversion. I don't have room to carry a microwave (which is already there) AND a convection oven. I want the combo to fit the cabinet where the microwave currently resides. But appreciate your ideas.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Vickery View Post
There are scads of portable convection ovens on the market and most all of them pullless AMPS than a microwave. Pick your size and go for it. K-Mart, Wallmart, Sears, to mention a few.
I think what this reply was saying is snoop thru all the mentioned stores/sites and see if you can find a convection that's meets your dimensions
Old 12-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
We also would like to convert to a convection microwave oven in our Pleasure Way. Our current MW is 18 inches wide and the smallest convection/micro wave that we have been able to find is 20 inches. Both the OP and I would like to find an 18in convection. Please respond is if you know of one which is available and we would be grateful.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #6

I asked about that a few weeks ago, and got no replies with microwave/convection combo's which are that size. I have been looking in all sorts of places. There are small microwaves, and tabletop convections, but not the combo in that size. I even contacted Leisure Travel, who converted my van, and the smallest they had was 20 inches. I need 18 inches just like you. So I will let you know if I find one, if you will let me know if you find one.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are companies which can modify your cabinets so a 20" could fit. Not cheap, but it may be your only answer.
Also, check some the small, around 18', trailer brochures to see if they offer a convection microwave, and then go to a dealer and measure the width.

hth, Ron
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:30 AM   #8

I do like the suggestion to check trailers for one with similar size. Unfortunately modifying a cabinet is quite impossible as it would mean tearing out an entire wall of stuff including the refrigerator, the clothes closet, and the entire bathroom as they are all one long connected unit of construction. Thanks for the ideas though.
Velda
Old 02-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
More to it

I had to remove the convection oven in my 99 Leisure Travel and found there was some venting added when the factory installed it. The unit is only 15" deep but the venting adds about 3". It is a Sharp convection oven. Maybe you can find a used one on Craig's list that will work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0486.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	55660

Name:	IMAG0487.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	55661

Name:	IMAG0488.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	55662

Name:	IMAG0489.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	55663
Old 02-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
The smallest combination is a sharp which is 2 inches longer that the smallest microwave. If the installation is just above and behind the driver, they will stick out over the driver two inches which works fine. Otherwise I have never seen a solution.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #11

I so wish we had picked up LT up two months later when convection was available as I would have added the option. As it is the microwave is at the end of cabinet over the sofa/bed and has a magazine rack and the tv attached so we would not be inclined to make a cut out for it to go out the side. Guess we will live with the microwave until it quits.
Thanks for all the suggestions.