Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2019, 06:53 AM   #15

Here is a Sprinter 2nd alternator install (owners who have a Sprinter with a second alternator can maybe comment as well):

https://www.sprinterstore.com/produc...sprinter-vans/

For MY usage, I don't want a generator in order to eliminate something else to service, that is hard to access, and isn't used much. That being said: To be able to (high) idle the engine on the rare occasion that a charge up might be needed seems like a worthwhile backup. I am usually plugged in at night after driving multiple hours. Not sure if I'd even need solar. I do want to be able to run the air-conditioning for multiple hours if I want to stop at a restaurant for a Nice meal, shop, or stop and take a nap. My dogs come with me and I don't want to run a generator while I'm out of the van.

Ideally, I'd like to eliminate propane as well, but there aren't too many vans that use the diesel-fired heating system that also have a robust Lithium battery system that can run the air-conditioner. Plus, the diesel tank in the Sprinter could be a bit bigger....Just trying to figure out what I'd need to keep the dogs and us comfortable on a trip while on the road and at a campground/resort during our travels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 10:15 PM   #16

Dave-Oh and KransKanz, since we are a couple of months ahead of you in the process, having just bought a Midwest Automotive Weekender MD2 without the EcoFreedom lithium package, let me share what I found as a serious shopper. Our choices were between the Coachmen Galleria, Coachmen Crossfit and Midwest Automotive. Shopping in SoCal we found a new 2018 Galleria with Li3 package for a bit under 100k, several 2019 Gallerias without lithium for the same price, a Crossfit Ecoboost Li3 for a bit over 100k, a 2018 Midwest Weekender non lithium for a bit under 100k and several 2019 Midwest with EcoFreedom for 125k. Although I love the way the Ford Crossfit drove, the tight cockpit and lack of swiveling driver seat was a dealbreaker. Plus the extra 2 feet really makes a difference in such a small rig. We agonized over the lithium option and eventually decided the non-lithium option would be ok for our use. Although the Galleria was far better built than a Winnebago or even an Airstream, we ultimately were drawn to the superb quality and luxury of the Midwest Automotive. The quality rivals that of the high dollar bus conversions we owned in the past. I couldn't justify the $20k price premium for the Midwest with EcoFreedom package, which left us comparing the Coachmen Li3 and the Midwest. We went with the Midwest for the quality and preferable floorplan. Ours came with a high idle switch, so we will probably upgrade to lithium batteries in the future and have a partial EcoFreedom package. I do have some concern, as voiced by others here, about using the chassis engine as a generator. Having the LP generator is just a plus for us.

A few notes about Midwest Automotive. They make 2 camper vans, the Weekender and the Passage. The Passage is very slightly less optioned, but not a lot. The main difference seems to be that the Passage has manual rather than electric sewer valves and gravity rather than macerator dump. There are a few other differences such as a stainless sink vs. corian, etc. but they are pretty minor cosmetic differences. The burlwood cabinets and gorgeous ultraleather are the same on both models.

As someone noted above, REV group owns Midwest Automotive, having purchased it 2 years ago. The American Coach Patriot seems to be the same as the Midwest Automotive Passage.

The Weekender version is also sold as the Chinook Countryside, with slightly different (uglier, in my view) upholstery and some needless upgrades like full electric shades and Crestron controls. More expensive. Check Van City's website. I spoke with them and they seem not really interested in selling the overpriced 3 year old new units on their lot. Very strange.

Perhaps because they are low volume and are not made on an assembly line, there is significant variance between Midwest Automotive units of the same model year. If you search the available inventory you will see that some have a sink in the wet bath, and some don't, with no explanation. Similarly, the plumbing changes from unit to unit. Mine has the external shower, City water inlet and sewer dump controls all in the lower skirt. Others of the same model year have the shower and water inlet midway up the sidewall. Ours does not have a gravity fill for the fresh tank (bummer). Ours does have a flip up table/desk behind the driver seat, but others of the same model year do not. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to these variances, but be aware of them.

From our perspective, the Coachmen Galleria and Midwest Automotive Weekender / American Coach Patriot are the best value propositions currently available in the Sprinter B van market. Hopefully time will prove that we made the right choice. Good luck with your search.

Bryan
Currently: 2018 Midwest Automotive Designs Weekender MD2 (Sprinter 3500 ext 170 wheelbase) Previous rigs: 2014 Itasca Cambria Class C; 2000 MCI 4500e bus conv. American Coach; 2007 Fleetwood Rev. class A; 1990 Prevost XL bus conv. by Country Coach
LA-Hodag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Hodag2 View Post
Dave-Oh and KransKanz, since we are a couple of months ahead of you in the process, having just bought a Midwest Automotive Weekender MD2 without the EcoFreedom lithium package, let me share what I found as a serious shopper. ...

From our perspective, the Coachmen Galleria and Midwest Automotive Weekender / American Coach Patriot are the best value propositions currently available in the Sprinter B van market. Hopefully time will prove that we made the right choice. Good luck with your search.

Bryan
Thanx Bryan! This seems to be right where I'm at. I had mentioned about the Patriot/Midwest ownership by REV group. The web site says they also have a 3 year/36K mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. I would love it if you would confirm whether or not this includes the coach. If it does, this makes the Patriot/Midwest a hard coach to pass up. I would like more info on their Lithium system, as that is the major reason for downsizing to a Coachmen, Midwest, or Am Coach. I believe the WBGO Boldt has had a major cabinet upgrade as well, no longer using the sticks and staples method of framing. Floor plan is not what we're looking for, though.

Great write-up. Very interested in the storage capacity and, if you chose the lounge model with the couch in back, how you like the arrangement and what you've done for sleeping linen. Where do you hang coats, enough room for a week's worth of clothes, and food storage.

Thanx again for the update. Great stuff!

best,

dave-oh
Old 06-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Very interested in the storage capacity and, if you chose the lounge model with the couch in back, how you like the arrangement and what you've done for sleeping linen. Where do you hang coats, enough room for a week's worth of clothes, and food storage.
Hi Dave-Oh. Yes, the Midwest Automotive has a 3 year warranty on the coach. We haven't been able to use ours yet (it's at the dealer getting the side and rear bug screens replaced and a few other nits addressed), but will be driving LA to Pittsburgh the week of July 4 and will be able to report back. I can comment already on a few of your questions. Yes, we have the rear couch model, and find the bed quite comfortable in the one night we used it. I bought a mattress topper that we haven't yet used and will report after our trip. On our floorplan (MD2) there is a small hanging closet with a drawer underneath that extends partially over the driver side jump seat aft of the wet bath. As configured, the closet is completely worthless for hanging garments (too short and too shallow) so we just fill it with odd shaped items and the table leg. If Midwest removed the drawer under the wardrobe they could make the wardrobe longer and more useful. There is a huge cabinet behind the driver, forward of the fridge, which makes a great pantry and holds stuff like the esspresso maker. Plenty of room for pots, pans and dishes. Again, I will report after our trip about how it works for storing our clothes.

Agree with you about the Voldt not having a floorplan we liked, so it was not on our list even though quality is reportedly much better than other WBGO B vans.

The Midwest drives really nice and is very quiet, except when towing. Although we don't plan to tow regularly, I did tow my Jeep GC to the dealer so I could leave the van and drive home. The Jeep is just under the 5,000 pound towing max. It was not a pleasant drive. The Jeep was pushing and pulling the van a lot, and on one 4% grade I was down to about 45mph. Braking was also poor, even though I was using the BrakeBuddy on the jeep. My experience probably applies to all Sprinter 3500 B vans. I don't recommend towing a heavy vehicle or trailer.

Good luck with your search.

Bryan
Currently: 2018 Midwest Automotive Designs Weekender MD2 (Sprinter 3500 ext 170 wheelbase) Previous rigs: 2014 Itasca Cambria Class C; 2000 MCI 4500e bus conv. American Coach; 2007 Fleetwood Rev. class A; 1990 Prevost XL bus conv. by Country Coach
LA-Hodag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantAB View Post
I've read reviews with concerns that the second alternator is mounted low and exposed.

In theory I thought using the vehicle engine was a great idea. But why run a big expensive engine when a smaller and less expensive engine could accomplish the same task?
The second alternator is not exposed unless you are stupid and run over a 12" curb. With that much battery power and a high power second alternator you don't need to run the engine very often or for very long.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer, xantrex