Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #1

Need help on B+ Leisure Travel Or? RV

Hello to everyone, I am Fred and my wife is Maxine and we are getting ready to enter the RV world and will need some advice and guidance in selecting an RV.

We would like to share our vision on how we plan to travel. We do not want to go somewhere and stay for long periods of time, we would prefer to plan trip and determine how long we stay by how we enjoyed the place. We would like to travel in the USA, Canada, and Alaska for about 3 to 4 months, come back home stay for some months and plan the net trip to Central and South America down to Argentina and lots of small excursions in between around the US.

We think the Class B would be too small for long trips, we were looking at B+ Leisure line such as the Serenity and Unity they have floor plans we like, but I read that is not good as a four-season van, someone recommended in this sight a Coach House if we wanted a four season RV.

We were also considering a Used Leisure RV, but we are not sure how to begin looking for one, my preference is to find an individual that wants to sale that is 4 years or less.

Please help us find the right RV for us new or use.

Thank you,

Maxine and Fred

MaxineFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #2

Check out the Villagio and the Vienna by Renegade which are B+ motorhomes on the MB sprinter chasis.

bhreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

The wife and I started looking at Class B motorhomes when we started off. After looking at them we decided that the shower was too small and having to make the bed every night wouldn't do. We finally bought a 26 ft. Class A and it worked pretty good until we added our son's Black Lab to our travels. With our Golden Retriever the Black Lab and the wife and I it got crowded fast especially if the weather was inclement and we had to spend time cooped up in the coach. Now we are up to a 35' Class A with 3 slides and a toad and we have plenty of room.

So my advice is that if you are planning on spending a lot of time in the coach buy one with enough room that you won't be tripping over each other and can spread out to relax when the weather is bad.

Good Luck

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #4

Hi Maxine & Fred
We use our RV in the same way you are planning to and recently purchased a new Leisure Travel Serenity after shopping for about 5 years (we don't rush into anything!) and chose the Serenity because the coach is one piece fiberglass with no slides to rattle (or break down) and a smooth aerodynamic profile for fuel mileage. The Mercedes Sprinter chassis was another determining factor as the Blu-Tec Diesel is the cleanest on the planet, has plenty of power for a 10,000lb. rig, gives awesome fuel mileage (we got 17.3 mpg on the flat part of I5 N in Oregon doing 65 mph. The 2016 and newer Serenitys have air conditioning ducting in the ceiling throughout, not a single outlet over the bed aft. Plus the fridge/freezer are separate. We chose the corner bed model without the electric folding couch as we like to leave the bed made and don't need two socializing areas.
Hope this helps your search. GOOP
Goop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #5

If you travel in the warmer seasons then the size is less a factor as you will tend to spend a lot of time out doors lounging under your awning in your recliners. We did about 75 nights in our Unity MB over the course of several months and never/rarely felt crowded with the two of us and two dogs. This is the late fall with lots of darkness. Summer trip with outside time was very comfortable.

Can't speak highly enough about the Leisure Travel Van products. Sold the MB and have the Wonder FTB on order. Plan 80 day trip to AK starting late June.

Good to figure out how you are going to use your rig before buying one! We love spending time in ours traveling the country. Smaller is better if you move around a lot. Superior mileage and maneuverability.

Have a blast! Maybe rent a decent Class B before you decide...
Old 03-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #6

I wanted smaller footprint but found the roadtrek type van conversions to be too small to be comfortable with wife and dog. But that's US. It may work for you.

The upcharge on a diesel is high and won't pay for itself for many years/miles. The Mercedes motors have issues with injectors failing and harmonic balancers shifting. Harmonic balancer failure ruined my bros sprinter work van motor. Require service at freightliner or mercedes dealer. Plus the doors have thin steel and rusted through.

I opted for a 24.5' B+/C chevy van cutaway and can get parts in any town. Buy the floorplan you like as that is the biggest factor. Slides are nice when and if they don't seize-up or leak, but can be troublesome and may restrict interior movement when under way.

Teddyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, travel