Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #1

New PW Promaster Lexor video

Pleasure-Way just released the promotional video for their new Lexor on the Promaster van base. Looks like some good design features.
Lexor Video

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #2

After a bit more study of the video, a few observations.
-don't see any exterior storage compartment. My Lexor's compartment is adequate for the sewer hose, water hose, and some leveling blocks, tools, and miscellany, plus there is another space for extra sewer hose.
-no exterior spare tire. Underneath?
-good interior storage but would rather see a couple drawers under the sink.
-would want a screen door option.
Looking forward to more info and seeing a real one.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #3

My favorite floor plan of Pleasureway is their FL. If they could figure a way to put that floor plan in a Promaster would get. I think their MB FL is 22 ft so maybe not possible. Don't like having a wall behind the driver's seat. The FL has an open space with a table and TV behind driver, opening up two seating areas in the front and the back. Also needs a screen slide.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #4

This van is really a mixed bag. Some things are very nice, others not so much.

The front seats don't swivel. They should have painted the exterior black bits. They should use the combo water heater and furnace that Winnebago is using. They've priced this at the top for Promasters. The wood work is nice, as are the totally glass sides with jealousy windows. To me, the bathroom is too pretty - all that woodwork will need to be protected when showering. The sofa is a nice place to sit, and you could possibly sleep longitudinally if you aren't too tall, but storage underneath it is limited. No spare tire. But there is a box with 2 batteries in it, plus a generator. Gravity drain on the tanks. The tanks are big for a b-van. Nice high fridge and low microwave placement.

I think it's too traditional interior in appearance and for usage. Most Promaster layouts are being developed for a younger, sports-active demographic. This one plays more to the touring couple.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #5

I sure wish we could get some of the European designs over here. Alas, our RV industry is HQ'd out of the mid-west, the farthest place from design innovation it could possibly be.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #6

I agree wholeheartedly wblynch!

I get a chuckle when people say "engineering" or "engineers" when referring to something one of the US manufacturers does. The US industry has no idea what engineering is.

Throughout their history, their idea of engineering has been trial and error and experimenting on their customers. Yes, a few of them have gotten 3d software and have trained a few operators. Big deal, that's not engineering. Some do limited road testing. Another big deal, as that is just more trial and error work. Because of this, that is why they move so slowly to adopt new technologies and advanced materials. They just have so limited number of personnel who understand such things or could incorporate them into their products without causing technical or economic problems.

That is why, as a customer, you are much better off keeping things simpler, and staying with a smaller RV. Just less to stress and less to break.

My $.02 as an experienced RV'r and an engineer.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
I sure wish we could get some of the European designs over here. Alas, our RV industry is HQ'd out of the mid-west, the farthest place from design innovation it could possibly be.
Actually, most of these "traditional" designs are out of Canada. Winnebago, in the midwest, actually has come out with some fresh ideas and at good price points. But I agree, that RV manufacturers this side of the pond are pretty much in the play it safe and copycat mode.
I will say that I have been very impressed with the build quality of my PW and others I have looked at. I would expect the new Lexor to carry on the same custom build quality, and that does jack the price some.
I have seen a few new units advertised, and there is a spare tire under the couch, so there goes most of the useful storage, and no outside tire mount option. Well, we traveled 40k miles in our class A with no tire issues, so I would probably be brave and leave the spare behind and keep my emergency road service paid up. The front seats don't swivel? That would be a bummer--need that extra seating option. But we are the old touring couple, and so the Lexor layout suits us. We had a similar wet bath in a class C. Pull a shower curtain across the cabinet and no worries.
Still watching the new model rollouts, and wondering if there will be some new Ford Transit class B's, including gas and diesel?
Old 01-01-2015, 08:25 AM   #8

On the show unit I sat in at Hershey back in September, the seats did not swivel. The pics of the unit I saw for sale, and the video above, do not show any swiveled seats.

I'm kinda amazed at this choice. But there may be reasons. Firstly, the drop to the floor (the cab is 3-4 inches higher than the body floor) may make it uncomfortable as short people would have their feet dangling. Winnebago extends the floor a bit into the coach, so the floor is the same level as the cab for a bit. That gives you feet a place to go.

Or it could be that these seats have to be ordered in pairs. Since the driver's seat would be swiveling into a bulkhead, maybe they opted to just not have either swivel.

In the end I think they will change this a bit. Surprising they didn't get comments at the RV shows.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
The European designs are awesome. I think the new Great West Promaster design is looking promising for someone like us. We're kind of in the middle range group, in our 40's, a little sporty, not retired yet, and this is our "thing". Europe designs make much better use of their space. Now add 4 wheel drive and we would be in heaven.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #10

Probably closest to a European design aesthetic would be Safari Condo out of Canada. Their production numbers are vary low, so you'd have to really put in the effort to get one.

When I travel, it's a constant stream of people asking about my van. It's hard to get any peace really. I've noticed these folks are of all ages, so I guess the appeal is broad. Some say people often get tired of the small RV and "upgrade" to something bigger. I think just the opposite - the big RV gets old quick and people are drawn to the convenience and low operating cost of the smaller RV.