RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #1

New to class B, looking at the Coachmen Galleria Li3

Hey guys and gals,

I have bee searching for a class B that I can take boondocking and “off the grid”. So far I have checked out the Winnebago Travato, Pleasurway(not sure which model), and the Coachmen Galleria 24T with Li3.

So far I really like the Galleria over the Pleasureway. I’m interested in learning more about the li3 system vs the geniatir and battery system that’s on the pleasureway.
Does anyone know about the wear and matinence in these?
Is in more beneficial to have a separate generator va running off the vehicle engine?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

CeejP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
CeejP!

I'm sure you'll get lots of other responses, but we've have had three coaches with generators and the next one will have a second alternator for the house batteries similar to the Li3 system.

With the solar added to the coach (and that you now can get as options from almost all manufacturers), for our use the engine generator is rarely needed and we found we have more hours on it from the monthly maintenance run than we do running it because we need power.

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #3

looked at one two years ago.
No gas stove was a deal breaker.
It came with an induction stove.
Planned to boon-dock and didn't want to start generator to boil water for tea.

Bought a C-/B+ with 3 way refrigerator, propane stove/heat/hot water.
Propane generator.

Happy with my choice.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #4

Galleria Power

I currently bought a 2019 Galleria without the li3 option. So far after 6 months I love it. I do have the upgraded solar. The coach has standard features that are a little above most others we tested. The Sprinter chassis is a work horse. I just added a Nations Hi Output second alternator and I have ordered a Lithionics 600ah Li3 battery and BMS that will be arriving soon. The propane Onan 2500 Watt generator is constantly tripping when running the ac and charging the batteries and the propane consumption is horrendous. We can get a total of about 6 hours of operation per tank and the sun in FL is brutal. I opted to add an "egen"(used for lack of a better term) system because of this and I plan to keep the generator for emergencies off the grid. Be advised that if you are real engineering/electrical savvy you should get the option at purchase or pay someone to do the install later. I actually use the same systems for work so it is somewhat easier. There differences in some of the items you see in the packaged systems vs buying individual components i.e. the firmware in some devices has been modified to match the components. I am putting together a series of pictures as we complete our setup. We will end up with 1000ah of lithium total at completion and 350 watts of solar. with 2 alternators and the Onan generator.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #5

Thank you so much for the response and insight. I do plan on purchasing the model with the solar and Li3 system. As I plan to live in my rig for at least a year and boondock. I think that this will be a good option for me. I would love to see the pics that you put together!
CeejP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #6

It somewhat depends on how you are using the RV. If your plan is for constant touring with occasional stops the engine based alternator just sucks power from vehicle performance. If you plan on parking for a day or two at a time and running the engine a lot just to get power for A/C or an induction cooker you will add a lot of pointless engine hours.

You could not sell me an RV with a propane generator because of the fuel consumption issue. Tanks are small and consumption high. A small diesel generator is a much better idea. I would not buy an induction cooktop as my only cooking source. Propane cooking and water heating is relatively low consumption for either propane or electricity so easy to manage without the hassle of high electricity requirements. It sounds harsh but some problems never get better so why get them in the first place?

nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b, coachmen