Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #1

Newb with Questions about makes and models of Class B vans.

Hi all. I need some help weeding through the plethora of used rvs on the market to find something I want.

With my limited knowledge of RVs, it makes doing a craigslist search very difficult. Most postings aren't categorized properly, and extremely overpopulated. That and I don't have enough RV experience to target search what Im looking for.

What I need your help with is makes and models. I want something mid-late 90's (obd2) to early 00's. That generation seems to be what falls into my budget.

The two models I have been able to pinpoint that I like are Dodge Road Trek and Dodge Xplorer. These vans have the amenities that I want. Stand up shower is high on the list. And a generator. Basically everything to make it self sustaining.

What Im wondering is, are there any other Class b vans that fit that criteria? Ive looked at Chevy class Bs but most of them are older (1980's) and usually lack self sustaining features.
Ive tried looking at Fords as well but most are very small with sitting bath or I find conversion vans.

I'm not apposed to the Dodge vans. They are nice. They have everything I want. But I feel there are more options to explore than just those 2. Not to mention I usually try to avoid Chrysler automatic transmissions when making a vehicle purchase if I can.

I attribute my lack of results to the fact that I don't know the proper name of specific models. That makes it hard to even do a basic google search let alone a specific classified ad.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #2

There are basically a variety of Ford Econolines and Chevy Vans.

The Xplorers are highly regarded by the van guys on forums and on youtube. They have a wide body design and a reliable engine.

You are going to find the Fords and Chevies to be much more narrow. But some of them, like the Falcon and Airstream 190 to have a very high topper which gives additional sleeping space and lots of headroom.

Personally, I like the layout of the Airstream. I like the sofa opposing the side door.

You can still find lots of these vans, but they tend to be well used by owner's who've really enjoyed them. Finding one with low miles for a decent price will be a challenge.

As for your searching, I suggest going on Craigslist and searching for "B-Class" and "Campervan" in the RV sections. You'll start seeing names pop up. Then you could refine your searches from there or go on other places like google.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #3

From another Newb; Just to add from my own experience. I have a 2000 190 and a 2003 170 Roadtrek. The 2003 I bought new, the 2000 I just bought last summer on eBay. Both are on Dodge chassis. I wanted a Chevy chassis when I bought the 2003 because that was what I had with my first Class A, but the price was way more than a Dodge. I've been very happy with Dodge after all.

Oh yeah... I'm selling the 2003 cuz it only has a double bed and my sister travels with me sometimes. We've gotten too old and fat to share a double bed. The 2000 has twin beds. I've toured the Roadtrek factory and owned several RV's in my 80 years. The Roadtrek quality workmanship can't be beat IMHO.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 PM   #4

Also interested in B

Saw your post -this is my first. I'm also interested in a B. What about the Lexor? It seems the RT are well built but seem quite cramped.

I hope more folks post to this to help us both. Good hunting!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #5

Hi Paul, Have you actually been in a RT? I think the floor plan illustrations DO look cramped. The 2000 and the 2003 I have the larger of the two (the 2000 RT 190 Popular) feels a bit cramped yet the smaller (the 2003 RT 170 Popular) doesn't feel cramped at all. Go figure. Only thing you can do is go lookin' and see what suits your needs. I would look first at what sounds interesting then narrow them down to find the right price. Good hunting! ;-)
Old 05-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #6

Tell us what your budget is and other needs like sleeping arrangements, what you will use it for, ie. day trips, weekend trips, long see the whole country trips, ???

I have been looking for a few weeks and have a list of some of my favs. But sounds like you aren't looking to spend what I am willing to. I have found ones I really really like from $25K to $60k.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:58 PM   #7

I have an '89 Ford Travelcraft, that we are remodling. It has a wide body and fully self contained. We took out the jack knife bed and made a platform for a 6 inch foam mattress and I'm going to sleep on the dinette bed. The sofa/bed will do double duty and I'll keep the dinette bed down most of the time. the unit has two stairs and a fold down table for just the two of us. My neighbors bought a 1999 Rialtta and love it. It doesn't have the room ours does but it's a great machine, so you might look for something like that.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #8

Less is sometimes more

Hey Paul, those are good questions SissyBoyBob brought up. Some folks want to use a class B as a second car but how many will be doing the traveling in your RV? Make a Wish List and then cross out the ones you can live without. Go from there.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #9

In replay to those who have responded . . . and others listening from the 'side of the road' - just two of us will be traveling. My wife and i plan on both camping and traveling - if that is the correct terminology for the two options - we don't bend like we used to, cost is a concern both initially and in traveling.

We like the separate shower in the PW Pursuit but have moved it down a notch or two - my depth perception isn't great so size matters.

At the top of the list now: Free spirit, Lexor, and maybe Roadtrek - though they seem very expensive ( 'if you want small you gonna pay for it')

Thanks for the guidance, folks! G
Old 06-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #10

Your welcome and happy traveling.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a '75 Versatile 19. Coming from a 38' Mountain Aire I am crowded. The Versatile sleeps crossways and the max. width is 5'11" so that is your bed length. My 6'3" neighbor didn't check that out before he bought his and that is how I got a Roadtrek. With the 318 Dodge I got 16.5 mpg last year. I have not been able to use the refrigerator be cause it is near the floor and if I get down there I have a real problem getting up. As soon as the GMC is in shape for travel I will switch. It is easier to get in with only 1 step and a higher ref. I leave thur. for a trip to WI. fishing for a week and then back home. Roadtrek makes a good MH.
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:59 PM   #12

We have a Gulfstream B+ (called Belinda) and we love her to bits, but I hate having to make, unmake and remake the bed every time we stop, We are looking for a C class that has a permanent bed but would LOVE to find a B class that has a permanent bed. There are only two of us travelling, like you, and over the three years we have had Belinda, we have never used her shower, the showers in the campgrounds are nearly always just fine. Sometimes they are a lil grungy, but mostly ok - sometimes awesome!
Old 06-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #13

I don't stay in campgrounds very often, mostly boondocking so I have used the shower a time or two. The first time I forgot to make sure the rig was level and the water wanted to go where water should never be.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemlee View Post
We have a Gulfstream B+ (called Belinda) and we love her to bits, but I hate having to make, unmake and remake the bed every time we stop, We are looking for a C class that has a permanent bed but would LOVE to find a B class that has a permanent bed. There are only two of us travelling, like you, and over the three years we have had Belinda, we have never used her shower, the showers in the campgrounds are nearly always just fine. Sometimes they are a lil grungy, but mostly ok - sometimes awesome!

We had the same desires you did when we decided to trade in our 42' DP. We enjoyed the space of the large coach, but not the hassles to drive and set up. We settled on a 2015 Pleasure-Way Plateau XL because of the bed, bathroom and overall quality/design. Some of the other B and C coaches were nice, but everyone was a compromise. I'm 6'4" and a lot of the B products were too small inside. The C units were large enough, but the ride was rough and seemed "top-heavy" to me. It's a tough decision, but that's why these sites are so helpful. In the end it's a personal decision, but the experience of others helped make the decision.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum