Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #1

newbie class B camper van questions...

hi all,

I and my wife are thinking of getting a used class B camper van, something like a RoadTrek.

It'll be just for two of us, in the 50s' and still working, trying to get away a few days here and there. We have 0 experience in RV'ing but I always enjoy road trips and the freedom of seeing places in driving.

I'd appreciate if you can share your experience of pros and cons of owning/using one.

- since it's a van size, I assume we can almost park it anywhere on the street and spend the night, if we absolutely have to?

- is it really self-sufficient? for example, without hook up to electricity, can you run the heater or A/C from the batteries?

- Or should we scrub the idea and just motel/hotel anywhere we want to go and see?

- anything else?

Thank you very much in advance for any comments.

mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #2

I think if you're not sure if you would like to travel /camp in a RV is to go rent one close to the length you would like. I own a Class A & B. We just completed a 10 week Alaska vacation in our Class B and had a great time. Cruise America rents 19' RV's which would give you a good idea.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrider View Post
hi all,

I and my wife are thinking of getting a used class B camper van, something like a RoadTrek.

It'll be just for two of us, in the 50s' and still working, trying to get away a few days here and there. We have 0 experience in RV'ing but I always enjoy road trips and the freedom of seeing places in driving.

I'd appreciate if you can share your experience of pros and cons of owning/using one.

- since it's a van size, I assume we can almost park it anywhere on the street and spend the night, if we absolutely have to?
If it is 20' or under you should be able to park it anywhere. Some are 22' or 24' and you just need to be aware of that.

Quote:
- is it really self-sufficient? for example, without hook up to electricity, can you run the heater or A/C from the batteries?
You need to check, most operate their heat from propane; and batteries are usually not enough to run the A/C, you need a generator.

Quote:
- Or should we scrub the idea and just motel/hotel anywhere we want to go and see?

- anything else?

Thank you very much in advance for any comments.

mike
Rent one if you can and see if you like the experience. I would prefer my RV over a motel anytime. But it's really personal taste and how much you travel.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a big class A and a smaller class B.

The biggest drawback with many class B is the location of the bathroom which is right in the middle of the kitchen. So if you're cooking and someones got to go, it may not work out too well.

We found a class B that has a separate bathroom in the back that is away from the kitchen.

It is great that you can park it in a normal parking space but you still have to keep an eye out for lower clearances such as parking decks.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #5

Thank you for all your help. I'm going to rent one and give it a try first before we buy one.
mike
Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #6

We just bought a used 1998 Ford Coachman Starflyte 21ft. Class B+. Unless you have a generator you can not run the AC/Heater with just the batteries. Mainly lights and water pump unless you have shore power. Great unit.
j/c
Old 10-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had 2 different Class B's before moving to a Class A. We got them for precisely the reasons you stated.

Both the B's were 20', one was a Roadtrek Popular 190 with the bathroom/shower in the aisle. Even with just two of us we did not function too well in that one. To use the bathroom, there was no way to have any privacy. To take a shower, you stood in the aisle, removed a tray and pulled a curtain around you - it was then wet and you either needed to let it air dry or wipe it down and hope it was dry enough to put away. During this process the other person was either trapped in the back, trapped in the front or need to be outside.

Our other B was a Pleasureway Lexor with the private bathroom w/sitdown shower. While it was much better it was a very small bathroom - we are both small and had trouble especially using the shower. Unless you are a gymnast - good luck!!

For both, we loved to travel and sleep in them. Being only 20' we could park nearly anywhere. We needed to run the generator (some have it, some don't - wouldn't buy one without) for A/C. But I think I am correct that the heater would run off of the propane so on cool nights you could have heat. For warm nights we just used the windows and fans - fans run off of the 12v batteries. The kitchen was adequate - we do most of our cooking on a grill outside.

Perhaps this will give you more to think about!! Hope it helps a little!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #8

Hey thanks for the tip on class B , I have a 1988 ford
Enconline call a travel craft. Wish me luck I have trouble Onan
Generator Need help with this. Starts but won't keep running when I let go on switch.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #9

On the Roadtrek you have an option of two bathroom types. The small one they call a "temporary bathroom". Basically it's a toilet closet. You shower in the aisleway with a shower curtain around you.

The larger bathroom they describe as a "private bath". It's a small bathroom with toilet, shower, and sink in one small room, some call it a "wet bath". You can still shower stand up in the aisleway, or you can sit down shower in the bathroom. The trade-off is to get the larger bath, you loose one passenger seat.

For the useage you describe, either maybe a good option. I'd probably opt for the wet bath as it's more private and you can still take a sit-down shower in privacy while someone else is in the coach.

You've hit the nail on the head on why these B vans are a good choice - you can park virtually anywhere - find a quiet spot somewhere - or at an event or festival. Opens up alot of possibilities for those of use still working our jobs during the week.

Tags