Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

Newbie needs help, does this awning look right?

Does this awning look right? It shades nothing and is up in the air so high. There are no legs or tie downs. Rolls out from the bottom. Seems more like a kite than an awning. Please help, this is our first RV ever. So much to learn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front View.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	123995  
mncrazylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #2

NO, that looks totally wrong. Awning should angle down away from the coach. Surely there must be some sort of adjustment to correct the angle. If you post the brand name of the awning it would help others diagnose the problem for you.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #3

It's a "Dometic"
Old 04-13-2016, 10:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncrazylady View Post
It's a "Dometic"
I'm guessing that it is an electric awning. Do you have the operator's manual for the awning? The paperwork that came with the awning might provide instructions for adjusting the angle.

I'm not familiar with that particular awning so can offer only little help. Post the model number if you have it.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #5

It is a hand crank. We bought the unit used, only 6 days ago. The dealer cranked it out but did not go all the way out as it was parked so close to the buildings front entrance that it would have hit the front post. So he cranked it out about half way, then back in again. We just didn't catch it at the time, that it was perhaps wrong.

No instructions or manuals for anything regarding the conversion. Just one for the van it's self. It's a 2014 Ford.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I would forward the picture to Dometic and ask them. It almost appears to be installed upside down. Just a guess.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #7

Let the dealer know ASAP about the problem and ask if they can fix it. You've had it such a short time the dealer should be willing to help.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #8

Thanks for the advise and input everyone. I did contact "Dometic" this morning and guess what? I received a reply!! I couldn't send pics the first time but I did send 2 in response.

I thanked them for being so quick to respond and they gave me hint as to what can be done, without seeing a pic. Hopefully the pics will clarify that for them.

I really didn't think I was going to get a response from them. On occasion I have contacted other companies through out my many years, and never got a reply much less in the same day.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Please keep us posted on the out come. Just curious.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #10

Somebody wasn't thinking very hard when they installed your awning. Some awning manufacturers use angled mounting brackets to compensate for non-vertical mounting surfaces like yours. You can ask Dometic if they supply them. If not, they shouldn't be difficult to make.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
Old 04-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #11

Has the dealer offered to "make it right"? Even used units generally have a 90 day warranty.

Do you see any place low on the side of the camper where support arms would attach? Almost seems like all of the parts aren't there.
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:05 AM   #12

We haven't checked with the dealer, but did get 2 responses back from "Dometic". First, without seeing a pic, they said that there were adjustments that could be made. So my DH took that to heart and made the adjustments. It now comes out straight, but does not close all the way on the back end. It is a small gap. Probably needs a little more tweaking, just haven't had time to do so.

When looking at "Dometic's" web page, there is an awning just like this one without any legs that extend down, if that what you mean about parts.

2nd email from "Dometic" I had sent pics to them. Response was:
I am sorry but there is no fix to that installation. Our installation instructions clearly state it must be in stalled on FLAT side wall. The roof cap on the van is not straight and there for it causes the awning to pull up. The only solution would be to man make a false wall against the cap to make the cap flat and then reinstall the awning. I am sorry you have run into this issue and I am not able to be more helpful with this.

I don't know, seems like we are pretty close to making it usable without tearing the whole thing off. Water may not slide off as well as it should but I think we can address that issue when the time comes.

Thanks for your input. So appreciate everyone's suggestions.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:18 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
It's not help to you, but you might reply to Dometic a suggestion that they change their instructions. The side of your RV is indeed quite FLAT, however it isn't perpendicular to the ground, which is what they really want.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:01 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mncrazylady View Post
It is a hand crank. We bought the unit used, only 6 days ago. The dealer cranked it out but did not go all the way out as it was parked so close to the buildings front entrance that it would have hit the front post. So he cranked it out about half way, then back in again. We just didn't catch it at the time, that it was perhaps wrong.

No instructions or manuals for anything regarding the conversion. Just one for the van it's self. It's a 2014 Ford.
Looking back, it makes one wonder if the RV was parked where it was for a reason.

Tags
awning, newbie