Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Newbie seeks wisdom

Buying my first class b. Consider an older rv(GWV) 1999 with 45k for $25K with best floor plan, OR a newer diesel(VISTA DIESEL CRUISER) with 50k miles for $40K with ok floor plan. Will not be full time but long trips coast to coast for three years. I have zero mechanical ability and wonder does newer mean less problems? What factors should I consider? Thanks to all for sharing their experiences.

RoadRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I replied in your other thread. Newer and best floor plan is best.

Don't settle...keep looking for the perfect rig.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Get the floor plan you like the best. IMO Diesel's are a better choice than gas, mainly for longevity and torque. They are more expensive to repair if you don't keep the maintenance up on them. Best of luck in your decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
I also replied my thoughts about Pleasure Way in your other thread. You don't say what chassis the Great West van has or if the diesel is a Sprinter, although $40k for a newer Sprinter would seem to be a good deal if the condition is good. I have read several cases of rather expensive Sprinter maintenance, but I have no personal experience. I decided to get a conventional gas van, Chevy with 6 liter V8. Plenty of power and 16-17 mpg highway. Diesel vans won't be much less in fuel cost, and the maintenance will almost certainly cost more over time.
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Thank you for the info. Still having some problems with the site so Thanks to those who shared.
RoadRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
Sounds like you will be doing a lot of driving. Be sure to road test any unit before buying. Overall condition is key, be picky, but don't expect an older coach to be perfect. Generally newer is better, rubber and plastic parts deteriorate with time as well as mileage. Corrosion ( electrical problems ) will increase with time. Units driven on salty roads, stored or used near the ocean, or stored in direct sunlight can be problematic. Many class B coaches are garage kept, try to find one. Buy the nicest unit you can afford. The class B's have the least depreciation among motorhomes. Good luck, make the shopping fun.

2010 Phoenix Cruiser 3100, 2016 Hyundai Veloster, Demco SS dolly
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote