Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #15

Led display, possible an option that you don't have.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In your particular box I see no led indicator.
Plug in the 120 cord and check in the box where indicated on the TS diagram and see if you have the 120 voltage on the terminals its suppose to be, you maybe have a cord problem or adapter problem if your using one.

I see Skip is on to it I will drop out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Trace out the microwave to its buss connection. Is there continuity of the buss past that point or is it interrupted (broken)?
NASAretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
OK, what I'm seeing is humidity damage on the lower relay terminals.
Notice that the upper relay,picture 4, all the metal arms are clear of the white residue. Build up is worse the lower you go in the box.
You need an ohm meter, with all 110 power off; gen set shut down, power cord disconnected. Then check for zero ohms resistance from the spring loaded arms on the relay through the contacts to the stationary posts.
The posts have 2 contacts, 1 relay active, 2 relay off. You can push the spring loaded arm with you finger to check the active contacts.
Clean any contact that has any resistance.
If the dollar bill , clean the contacts doesn't work, then grab a fingernail file from the DW. If you were seeing a blue flash on a contact , then that indicates a poor connection.
Can't see all the house wiring exiting the box from the pictures, but I'm sure that there are at least 2 feeds from the TS to the 110 circuit breaker panel , and that 1 is not passing power.
Good luck.Hope this helps.
ok, checked the ohms and all came up .1 in all positions, even in the generator posistion that I know does work.
last_lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
check in the box where indicated on the TS diagram
Im not sure where on the diagram it indicates to check. Which two points do I touch the meter with, the positive incoming and ground or positive incoming and neutural?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #20

ok, I just tried the hot panel to ground and got 120v. I tried on on the incoming side of the relay and on the contact side with the springs - powercord hot #1 and hot #2 according to the diagram and all voltage was 120v.

I tried the same thing on the neutral panel, checked it at the incoming leads and at powercord neutral #1 and #2 and touched ground and got 0.00. But im not sure that is the right way to check netural. Am I doing that one right?

edit:

Just got in from testing the voltage with the generator running and got the same results as above: HOWEVER, i also tried plugging in a portable fan into the outlet in the RV while only plugged into shore power and the fan worked! the outlet was a GFIC outlet and it was tripped before I plugged it in, so i reset it first. I also tried an outlet that was inbetween 2 15watt bults and it worked again, but the lights didn't work when i flipped the switch on them. But that wasn't the most interesting part. While plugged into shore power and while the generator was runnging I left the fan plugged into the RV outlet and left it running. The TS switched over in about 20 seconds from the default powercord position in the TS to the Generator posisition, after about 15 seconds it tripped the GFIC outlet in the RV (not the one that the fan was plugged into, it wasn't at GFIC outlet). I don't really know what that means. I checked the circuit breakers and all are working from what I can tell. The fan didn't trip the GFIC outlet when it was running off shore power only. Also a little red light on a panel that indicates battery power, water level, and various other things did come on once I resett the GFIC. ???

So i am getting power to the outlets off shore power but not to the components like AC.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
An AC should have its own circuit from load center not likely off a GFI.
Does the AC work off the Gen?
The load center could have some loose wiring on circuits on the power buss plus a loose ground wire on ground buss.
ALL wiring can loosen up from road vibrations.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
An AC should have its own circuit from load center not likely off a GFI.
Does the AC work off the Gen?
The load center could have some loose wiring on circuits on the power buss plus a loose ground wire on ground buss.
ALL wiring can loosen up from road vibrations.
The AC does work off the Generator.
The load center (im assumig this is where the "electrical panel" with the breakers are). Im assuming that the power from the TS goes to the load center and from there is distributed to the RV. So if I am getting power from the gererator, and the generator goes thru the load center, and the same is true for the shore power then it seems rational that there is a loose connection (or similar) from the TS to the load center on the shore power electrical.

Does my logic make any sense?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have it correct, now where is it.
RV Power system.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #24

You've got the problem right , and as 007 says, " where is it ?"
I pulled the cover off my TS to see if seeing the wiring there would give me any idea of how I could help you.
Absolutly no help , different TS model, 1/4 the wires, no wiring " connector nuts" no exposed contacts on the relays.
I have the LED but it is mounted to a printed circuit board,that is plugged into both relays, and only lights up when gen set is running.
A GFI receptical, can be wired in to protect other outlets, but if those outlets work off the gen set , but not off shore power and the GFI trips on shore power but not when the gen set runs. This is a real head scratcher!
I'll look at your pictures again and see if I can help further.
Just a thought, have you tried tightening the " connector nuts " ( I know they have a name I just can't think of it) they are taped up in the TS and that's something not normally done. And with the humidity damage visible , anything is possible.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #25

Last_, on my third look at your pictures, I can't see where the power cord enters the TS, is there another junction box in line between the power cord and the TS ? Where the cord, wraped wire,changes over to cable,solid copper, I can see 2 cables into the TS but no cord.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426
A GFI receptical, can be wired in to protect other outlets, but if those outlets work off the gen set , but not off shore power and the GFI trips on shore power but not when the gen set runs. This is a real head scratcher!
It's actually the other way round. The GFI outlet works off the shore power fine, but it only works off the genset for 30 seconds or so before tripping the GFI.

Now nothing else works of the shore power but the microwave and outlets that's the part that confuses me. If power from shore is passing through the TS > breaker panel > microwave. What happens to stop the flow after that? I would assume all the wires from the TS to the breaker must be ok. Because when the generator is on everything works. So why when the TS switches to shore power, and uses the same cable to the breaker panel as the genset to supply it only the microwave works? I know it is getting power to the contacts on the outgoing side of the relay, so you would think the problem would be there, but that darn microwave works somehow????
Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Section 5.3.1 will show you what a load center may look like in your class B.
The circuit breakers are to left and your 12v fusing is on right.
The converter battery charger is in same unit.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe I missed something but am wondering if there is an "Inverter" involved which is furnishing power to the Micro and maybe one other circuit?

If there is an inverter then your problem would appear to be from the Transfer switch out to the power source without any likely problem in the Coach circuits.

Keith
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum, newbie, rving