Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #29
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most Micro's and AC's are supplied 120v on their own circuit breaker in load center because of high current draw at startup.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #30

Ok the load center in the image is what I'm calling the circuit breaker. And it looks like that. I don't know where the inverter would be located. I think there is a ac converter on the outside accessible through a panel. I know that there is a circuit breaker for the microwave in the load center. So wouldn't shore power and genset power both run through that?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #31

OoooooooooK. Hope this doesn't make me look like a doof, but I've been leaving the battery that starts the generator unhooked while i've been testing the shore power. Tonight I was going throug the "troubleshooting" guide in the TS product literature and in doing so I had to connect the genset battery back up. While the generator was on the TS - after the prerequisite 30 second delay - clicked to generator, but when i turned the generator off the TS switched to shore power AND ALL THE SYSTEMS WORKED!! So does this mean the whole time I had to have the generator battery hooked up as well (to complete a circuit or similar)?

If so boy do I feel stupid, but I read that many people unplug their gen battery so not to overheat it when just using shore power, or am I getting this wrong and the power was just coming from the generator power - though I don't know where it would be getting its power from since the TS was switched to "powercord".
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #32
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your a newbie so your not stupid.
Your house battery is used for starting your Gen but its also use for all 12v control boards in your RV.
We have people asking do I leave my battery cut off switch on when hooked to shore power.
The reasoning I would guess is the converter is supplying do 12v to systems to operate so why do I need the battery.
The reason is the battery needs to be charged by the converter and its also charged in some coach's by the engine alternator.
When ever you use the coach you always leave the battery system in the picture for all power requirements the time battery is not is when you winterize shut down use of coach by operating a battery cutoff switch or removing the battery during winter months.
My coach is plugged in all the time to house so house batteries are kept at full charge plus in my charging system it also keep my chassis engine battery fully charged.
Some of the links provide in this thread will bring you up to date on your power systems in your coach, read them for further education and you will have a better understanding of you new hobby.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #33

Ok so then I'm not out of the woods, the power was coming from the gen battery and not shore - if I understand you correctly. If thats the case then ill need to take it to a rv shop because im out of things i can do. I will read the link you provided to learn more. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #34
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you look at the link and the diagrams you will see the coach or other named house batteries are far from the Gen.
The Gen starter is supplied from the 12v fuse panel with its starting voltage and TS is designed to place the Gen in the power to override a shore power connection.
Gen power than supplies 120 to all outlets and the outlet for converter to charge your battery system.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #35

Thanks for your help 007! I think I understand what your saying for the most part but I'm still a bit confused. I guess I'm just dense at this elec stuff. So I get that running the generator will cause the TS to switch over from the powercord setting to the gen setting. But when the gen is off and the TS switches back to the powercord setting does the rv now pull power from the generators battery for just the 12v stuff and the heavy loads come from the powercord or is it just from my powercord?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #36

Ok. Think I just answered my own question. I unplugged the shore power and tried to run the ac and of course it didn't because the ac takes 120v and the battery is 12v. So then I plugged in the power cord and the ac came on. But after 5 min. It tripped my house GFI. Why would this happen? Too much draw?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #37
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes to much draw,the house outlet maybe only 15 amp and the start up of AC was looking for 20 amps so the GFI tripped.
One thing you need to forget about the GEN does not own the house battery, the house battery only supplies the 12v so Gen will start.
The house battery is part of your electrical power system and serves all control boards, water heater, furnace,water pump, fridge on your LP gas, etc,etc.
All listed items will work without GEN or shore power cord plugged in.
Your Micro, AC, TV unless a 12v would than need the Gen or shore power to work.

Tags
forum, newbie, rving