Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #1

Question No Awning With Class B: Canopy Suggestions?

Just wondering what is a good simple pop up canopy to use. I saw where BIG LOTS has one for 59 bucks. Thanks,

I am not anxious to get one though. When I had an awning with the class C, I only used it twice.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Personally, I would recommend spending the extra money and getting a good quality EZ-Up 10x10 Market place canopy. The canopy top is a true 10 x 10, and the legs are straight.

Check the thickness of the upright legs, there are cheaper versions that have thinner legs and cross tubes, go with the beefier ones. Also, get one with a vented top that has screens, the vent will help wind move through the canopy if a gust hits it vs trying to pick it up.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #3

I am not sure what I may do. At the moment, I think I will just use my foldup picnic table with umbrella for now.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #4

Sorry to complicate things a bit more, but there is one thing you also have to keep in mind. When parked on a site with a concrete slab, you don't really have too many places to drive spikes into. We have a light canopy with a flexible frame (like a tent), and if we don't have spikes at every corner and add the tie-down ropes, it looks like it will just fly away even in moderate wind. It was fine for Mary Poppins, but not for us!
BillJ999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJ999 View Post
Sorry to complicate things a bit more, but there is one thing you also have to keep in mind. When parked on a site with a concrete slab, you don't really have too many places to drive spikes into. We have a light canopy with a flexible frame (like a tent), and if we don't have spikes at every corner and add the tie-down ropes, it looks like it will just fly away even in moderate wind. It was fine for Mary Poppins, but not for us!
That's when you buy the foot weight kit. They're like dumbells but are designed to slide over the leg and can be stacked if needed.

I don't camp too many places that are all concrete, so I haven't run into this yet.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #6

I've seen those 10 x 10 canopies at Menards. Those are extremely low cost. I've seen those around alot of campsites. We personally don't own one, however, it seems that weight and space would be a huge factor here. You wouldn't want to put up a 10 x 10 commercial canopy shelter. Have fun.
Deerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #7

I am new to RVs but VERY familiar with pop-ups, after years off outdoor vending.

As "Redneck Express' emphasized, so would I. Spend the xtra or it is all a waste. Not just EZ-up, there are others. Be sure legs are straight, not slanted, and that there are no plastic bits where the top folds, just metal. Also be sure there are internal cross-supports, not just the 4 sides and top-holding parts, but stabilizing bars cross-wise. And ALWAYS use weights, as another says- you can make your own from 3" PVC filled with cement and capped- put an eye-bolt or something in one cap so you can tie them on, and bungee to legs, all 4! If there are crafts fairs in your area, go look at the different canopies, and ask!
francine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #8

Francine,
Do you have these weights suspended from the legs or lying on the ground and attached to the bottom of each leg? ? Have you found them to be secure enough so that you would leave the canopy unattended while you are out for a day trip?
BillJ999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #9

I would consider this but I think the price is a little steep for $169.

SportsShade - Portable, Retractable Canopy Awning

YouTube Video:

Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #10

Thumbs up

I have a friend that has just an 8x8. That seems to be the perfect fit as it is usually just me camping or with the GF.

ShelterLogic 8' x 8' Slant Leg Pop-Up Canopy 22578
Old 06-14-2013, 03:54 AM   #11

Lou Brock, the Hall of Fame baseball player manufactures a Brockabrilla. He used them at spring training and are baseball hats with an attached umbrella on top. Very stylish in Cardinal Red.
Billizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
We use and EZ-Up with the screen room attachment. I considered, for a long time, getting a Fiamma awning that would stay attached, but in the end I decided that I would rather have something that I could put where I wanted it, since many spots seem to be really wide gravel lots (class A w/ multiple slide-outs sized) and we prefer to put up our shade and camp chairs on the grassy areas. These things are easy to use, go up and down quickly, and are not at all difficult to pack along, even in a small camper like ours. You just unfold them, snap on the screen room, and stake down the legs and screen bottoms - it doesn't take me very long before we settled...

- Randy
Old 06-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
Just wondering what is a good simple pop up canopy to use. I saw where BIG LOTS has one for 59 bucks. Thanks,

I am not anxious to get one though. When I had an awning with the class C, I only used it twice.
I used a tarp. I bought at lowes for 15 bucks. works great.
armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
I would consider this but I think the price is a little steep for $169.

SportsShade - Portable, Retractable Canopy Awning

YouTube Video:

After two years, I am still "thinking about" getting this.