Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

Norcold Compressor Refrigerator

I have a 2015 CS etrek with a Norcold compressor refrigerator. It doesn't consistently work on 12v unless running the engine. It works fine on 110v. Roadtrek put out a video on removing a resistor to fix this issue. I did this and it has not fixed the problem. What is occurring is that the fan cycles on for about a minute, the compressor turns on then immediately shuts off. This then recurs cyclically.

I have taken it to the dealer and they have no idea how to fix it.

I am looking for someone who has had the same issue and had it fixed.

HDeVera

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 01:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdevera View Post
Roadtrek put out a video on removing a resistor to fix this issue.
Where was this resistor? It sounds like a low voltage issue. Having the alternator supply additional power seems to confirm this.

Does it work if you use a set of jumper cables from the battery to the refrigerator? Maybe your supply wiring is too small or too long and you're getting enough voltage drop to cause the short cycle.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdevera View Post
I have a 2015 CS etrek with a Norcold compressor refrigerator. It doesn't consistently work on 12v unless running the engine. It works fine on 110v. Roadtrek put out a video on removing a resistor to fix this issue. I did this and it has not fixed the problem. What is occurring is that the fan cycles on for about a minute, the compressor turns on then immediately shuts off. This then recurs cyclically.
I have taken it to the dealer and they have no idea how to fix it.
I am looking for someone who has had the same issue and had it fixed.
HDeVera
hdevera
What is the model number of that refidgerator?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriderLeon View Post
Maybe your supply wiring is too small or too long and you're getting enough voltage drop to cause the short cycle.
Bingo!
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #5

Someone mentioned small gauge wires causing your problem.

I have heard of the supply wiring issues in the boating comunnity, where 12 volt fridges are popular.

I recall one fix was to run proper gauge wire directly to the battery, with a proper fuse near it.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #6

Model number of refrig

DE0061 is the model of this refrig. The fact that it works with the engine running does seem to indicate a low voltage problem. One thing I neglected to state was that I have tried using a Dometic portable compressor refrigerator and this too had a similar problem running off a 12v outlet.

So I don't think now that it is a Norcold issue. I checked the voltage on the 12v outlet I was using for the Dometic refrigerator and it was running 12.3volts.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Norcold Compressor Refrigerator

The 12.3 you mention is before there is a load. My 12 volt outlets typically read around 13.0 on a charged lifeline AGM battery bank after sitting for 4 hours. Your voltage is probably dropping further under load. That sounds lower than I would expect to start. Have you measured the voltage also at the battery? 12 volt fridges have quite a bit of amperage draw. In my prior RV with a 3 way dometic fridge, 12 volt was not recommended except for when the engine was running due to dramatic battery drain. It simply switched automatically to propane when I turned the engine off and 110v if I plugged into shore power.

I realize your fridge isn't an absorption style like I mention above but it does pull 3 amps and it needs likely more to start the compressor. If your voltage at the deep cycle battery is also at 12.3 when parked for several hours, it is suspect. The voltage should be much higher. 12.3 indicates a 65% charge. You should always strive to keep it above 12.2 for longevity. (12.2 is 50% charge)

https://www.emarineinc.com/Batteries-Maintenance-101

Also

http://lifelinebatteries.com/knowledge-center/

Aside: I know some say that lifeline AGM batteries are too expensive as compared to traditional flooded cells but I have been very happy with them and like the virtual elimination of corrosion, 1% voltage drop per month when parked unplugged verses 10%, and so forth. I've even changed the starting battery in my Subaru Outback to an Exide AGM. I intend to do the same with my motorhome starting battery when it comes time to replace it.

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, norcold, refrigerator