Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #15

I am finding it holds temp fine in 12v mode while traveling. At site, I've been switching over the AC. AC works better, as the temps drops on my gauges by a few degrees.

I'm going to save my Lp for boon docking stays and use the 12v when traveling.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #16

I've got a 3-way in my Travato as well. I've only been able to get it to fire on propane once. When on 12V, I can't tell it's doing anything. I was coming to the conclusion it was totally broken, but it seems great on AC.

Will be taking it in for a bunch of other little issues next week, and will have them check it out.
digisnapmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #17

We had a small DOMETIC fridge with 3-way. We used 12vdc for travel and meal stops, propane for overnite. Never a problem. Adding a 12vdc fan in the upper outlet it cooled WAY HUGE BETTER. Rarely made ice cubes before...
Old 06-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by digisnapmark View Post
I've got a 3-way in my Travato as well. I've only been able to get it to fire on propane once. When on 12V, I can't tell it's doing anything. I was coming to the conclusion it was totally broken, but it seems great on AC.

Will be taking it in for a bunch of other little issues next week, and will have them check it out.
Mine has not been a problem. Another member has emailed me with their issue of having a missing burner shield. You may have the same issue, so have your dealer poke around in the service compartment. Here is a pic of what mine looks like inside, for comparison:

Old 06-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #19

WOW that's clean!

My old one was a 1990 Coach House van...rusted all to heck in NY salt but it worked fine.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by digisnapmark View Post

The 12 Volt system has a delay built in and the refrigerator starts after the key has been turned on or motor started for a few minutes. It also shuts off when you shut off the key/motor.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
The 12 Volt system has a delay built in and the refrigerator starts after the key has been turned on or motor started for a few minutes. It also shuts off when you shut off the key/motor.
??

The fridge runs off the house 12v system and has nothing to do with position of the ignition switch.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
??

The fridge runs off the house 12v system and has nothing to do with position of the ignition switch.
As this diagram shows the ignition switch does control the 12 volt operation of the Refrigerator. This is right out of my Dometic Manual.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403374849.133859.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	818.2 KB
ID:	65861Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403374864.685980.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	651.3 KB
ID:	65862
Old 07-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #23

Tdogking,
That is true for your refrigerator. But we have model RML8330 in the Travato and there is no mention of the ignition switch being on for the 12 volt to work.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjeeper View Post
Tdogking,
That is true for your refrigerator. But we have model RML8330 in the Travato and there is no mention of the ignition switch being on for the 12 volt to work.
Gotcha, well a quick look at your manual or a call to the Mfg would answer this question. To me it would seem all 3-way Refers would work this way, but I don't know.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #25

Well, I for one, do not understand why you'd want ANY of the house systems keyed to the ignition. If you have a house battery, separate from the automotive battery, why would you want to turn off systems with the engine? Automatic switching to AC or LP on low voltage, yes please.

It's just a head scratcher to me as to why your refrigerator would work that way, and most people, I think, would not think to expect one to work that way.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Well, I for one, do not understand why you'd want ANY of the house systems keyed to the ignition. If you have a house battery, separate from the automotive battery, why would you want to turn off systems with the engine? Automatic switching to AC or LP on low voltage, yes please.

It's just a head scratcher to me as to why your refrigerator would work that way, and most people, I think, would not think to expect one to work that way.
It makes perfect sense if the 12v CONTROL circuits are on the house battery and the 12v HEATER circuit is switched by the ignition and powered by the chassis battery and alternator. As the manual stated, the 12v heater uses lots of amps and would quickly deplete the battery. Having it linked to ignition means you don't have to remember to switch it manually.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #27

I have a 2015 Travato with the 8330 Fridge. I have been reviewing the manual and Yes, the Travato manual says that the 12 volt DC is only on while the engine is running. After 5 years of use, I finally know how to keep the fridge at a steady temp. 12 volt while traveling, AC or Gas while parked
John Racz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
3 way operation

Having just went through this with our Norcold fridge here is how it works on the Auto setting. Priority is this- 120V, 12V, Propane. You can set any single mode but leaving on auto is best. Works on 120V when on shore power or generator. Switches to 12V when driving to save propane. Yes there is a wire connected to the ignition to sense if alternator is charging, that’s what does the switching in the fridge control unit. If neither of the above then reverts to propane. Ours quit working on 12V so when I was trouble shooting it with Norcold this is what I learned. Your Dometic may be different but I suspect it is similar. My 2 cents worth.
Jpetzrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge