Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #29

Anyone use a masserator with their unit?
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #30

The Travato comes with a macerator for the grey water tank only.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #31

Isn't it to be used on the black water?
Old 08-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjeeper View Post
The Travato comes with a macerator for the grey water tank only.
What's the point in even having a macerator then??? Might as well just use a regular pump.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #33

It is not a macerator. It's just a pump to move the gray water from the tank to the discharge outlet. I'm sure it's a trash-grade pump to handle the soapy water and possibility of food debris in the water.

The black tank is gravity. If I had to choose, I'd much rather have a pump on the gray. When, not if, it fails, a lot easier to deal with than a poo filled pump.

Ideally, you get both on gravity, but that is not the case because of the layout and limited room under the Promaster.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:26 AM   #34

Has anyone put solar panels on their Travato? Would think they would be great while camping without hookups.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
It is not a macerator. It's just a pump to move the gray water from the tank to the discharge outlet. I'm sure it's a trash-grade pump to handle the soapy water and possibility of food debris in the water.

The black tank is gravity. If I had to choose, I'd much rather have a pump on the gray. When, not if, it fails, a lot easier to deal with than a poo filled pump.

Ideally, you get both on gravity, but that is not the case because of the layout and limited room under the Promaster.
Ahh ok, i have a macerator in my basement, but it's designed to move POO up a few feet into the main sewage line. It has little blades inside that spin and chop everything up, and a pump to move it all up.

I guess "macerator" for the travato is a misnomer.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #36

Smile some hints

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I just got back from my trip to Florida. Stopped by last nite at Tybee Island, Ga.

Had a great trip. Cruising at 65 mph, I got 18.5 mpg. I can image if you were not on interstate and cruising country highways at 55 or 60 mph, you'd get near 20.

I'm constantly being asked about my weird looking, cheap van. People love it. I met a couple last nite that was fretting about the 5 mpg they were getting with their C class.

I am getting accustomed to my tank sizes and water capacity. I can go 4 days before I need to dump and fill my water tank.

The box I recommended will arrive Friday and I'll install it. I've decided I'd much rather have all the outside gear in a box. Just easier to deal with. Plus, I can bring a few more items that I don't frequently use, but are handy if the need arises.

Refrigerator on 12v is no problem, even in the Florida heat.
I have a 97 Xplorer 19' I have found less is more..Fewer things...with multiple uses..paper plates..paper cups.. fewer real plates...who are you expecting?.Same with pots and pans. .If you have alot of stuff in the aisle, you have too much stuff. I cook one pot meals and freeze in ususable tupperware, which fits in RV freezer..Microwave it or cook it in pot and it's done. Dont prefill water tank. Water = 8 lbs/gallon. How much do you need now? then fill along the way. Same with black water. Dump in rest stops to keep weight down and capacity up. Things to HAVE onboard: duct tape, small tool box, voltage meter, battery charger, small air compressor. New or old....your RV is never going to break down in your driveway. Be Prepared. See you down the road!
trvlguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #37

The Travato Plumbing Diagram calls it a pump-macerator.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlguyjim View Post
I have a 97 Xplorer 19' I have found less is more..Fewer things...with multiple uses..paper plates..paper cups.. fewer real plates...who are you expecting?.Same with pots and pans. .If you have alot of stuff in the aisle, you have too much stuff. I cook one pot meals and freeze in ususable tupperware, which fits in RV freezer..Microwave it or cook it in pot and it's done. Dont prefill water tank. Water = 8 lbs/gallon. How much do you need now? then fill along the way. Same with black water. Dump in rest stops to keep weight down and capacity up. Things to HAVE onboard: duct tape, small tool box, voltage meter, battery charger, small air compressor. New or old....your RV is never going to break down in your driveway. Be Prepared. See you down the road!
I think most people continue to tweak what they carry. I constantly go thru and thin out stuff. Or move stuff around to improve storage, or just convenience. Lately I've bought a lot of nesting and collapsible stuff to fit in these tiny cabinets. My folding grill tools are a recent favorite. Also I have bins for specific destinations - like I have a beach bin that has stuff you'd only need or want at the beach.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #39

We were at the Hershey show and saw a small Coachmen that had a solar panel that was portable on the ground. That doesn't seem bad on a small unit if you have storage for it. Said it was about $350. How does the Travato drive in the winter?
cjscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #40

I have a portable panel. It works pretty well, but I don't really see the need with the van. You can get a whole day's worth of solar in about 30 minutes of engine running to recharge the battery. Unless you are going to sit for days, it's just not worth it IMHO.

Don't know how the Travato drives in winter, as it's not winter here yet! I can only assume it's pretty good considering it's front wheel drive. It's very sure-footed in the rain.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #41

Been enjoying all the info I've been getting on the Travato. That Hershey show one we saw this weekend really got to us. I'm just hoping it's going to be enough RV for us. We do have an older Trail-Lite B+ 25 ft (no slide) now, it's a decent size not to have to tow, and there are lots of times we wish it were a tad shorter. Just don't know if it's going to be a little too small or not. We do mainly long weekends, overnight, day trips with our kayak and bikes, and 1 or 2 week long trips a year. Also would be nice to take out when we go cross country skiing. Hoping to be able to go 2-3 nights dry camping. Totally comfortable for a week in our B+ 25 ft with hookup and places to restock food which is very similar to the Trend. I honestly like the Travato better than the Trend. The larger doors made it feel more open to the outdoors and really liked that and the ability to use more often.
cjscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have loved having our Chinook (21 feet, same as travato) this season over the 25 foot class c it replaced. It has really opened up additional day trips for us and no worries about finding parking spots.