Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #1

Possibly purchasing a gently used 16 Pleasureway

Hi

I just looked at and fell in love with a 2016 Pleasureway Excel TS with 7800 miles. I'm a little nervous about purchasing because of it being used. Any suggestions on what to triple check. I did notice some rust and a bit of a dent on the tail pipe and the panel on the outside where the fridge is was loose.

I was told that the prior owners had traded it for a larger unit.

I asked the sales person if these items would be negotiated down on the price we had agreed on the phone. She said she would check with her sales manager.

The Mercedes warranty will be extended; but the 5 year Pleasureway warranty will not transfer. They suggested I purchase the USA travel care insurance.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!!!

Thank you!
Mermaidbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #2

Hi, I looked up the Pleasure - way Excel TS just using a web search. From what I can tell, the Excel looks like it is based on a Ford Van chassis, not a MB Sprinter. It is also not listed on their web site anymore.

There is a Plateau TS model - Is this the model you are thinking about?

Pleasure-Way Plateau TS - Pleasure-Way Industries

Some of the information on the web site about the based vehicle is incorrect, but perhaps that does not matter. For instance, it talks about the engine being 3.6 liters. At least in the US, the two engine options are 2.1 liters and 3 liters, and I am thinking that this is true for all North America models.

The 3 liter / 6 cylinder engine comes with a 5 speed transmission and the 2.1 liter / 4 cylinder comes with the 7 speed, unlike what their front site indicates. It is a traditional trade off of power to climb a hill vs fuel economy.

Rust is a common problem on Sprinters unfortunately, especially if they have been dented or exposed to ocean air. If you buy it, don't delay to get that rust repaired right away or it will just keep spreading.

If I had to bet, I would guess that they took it up a steep driveway hill and scraped bottom, denting the tail pipe and mashing a few things, loosening up the fridge as well. This probably prompted them to replace it with something that has more clearance.

A class B size is good for 1 - 2 people, maybe 3. If you have 2 adults and a couple of kids, it is tight if everyone plans to sleep inside. The RV + a tent can work out well.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #3

Gently used Pleasure-Way

Hi,

Thank you for responding. I appreciate any and all advice.

Yes, it is a 16 Plateau TS on a MB chassis. There is a slight dent and a bit of rust on the tail pipe which this dealer will address as well as the outside panel where the fridge is being a bit loose. The dealer does not sell Pleasure-ways. (they sell Roadtreks).

One of my main concerns was that the alternative battery (under the hood) was missing. The connectors were taped with electrical tape. The dealer has promised to put in a new battery.

Was going to call Pleasure-Way to check on this as well. It looks like the additional battery was removed. Not sure why???

The unit has Lithium batteries (which are in the back under the couch)
Old 09-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #4

It sounds like a really nice van. Rust and dent on the tail pipe is the only cosmetic concern - wow - pretty clean.

Based on what you said about the batteries in the back, there is a good chance that the original owner wanted more battery storage power than came originally with the van (under the hood). It seems likely that they spent quite a bit of money to add those Li batteries in back and took out the auxiliary battery under the hood. If the inverter in the van works (you can get 110V ac), then things sound good.

Li batteries are not cheap and are great performers. If it were me, I would consider that to be a substantial upgrade to the electrical system. It is possible that the original owner replaced the original 400 watt inverter with a higher capacity one as well.

From here, it sounds like a great van.

edit - It might be possible for you to use the vin number and obtain a carfax report for around $30. This often shows the name of the original owner and they might be open to telling you more about the van and upgrades. Most everyone is on facebook or linkedin.

If possible, talk to the original owners before having the dealer goof around with the auxiliary battery location, especially if they do not routinely work on them.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #5

We had a PleasureWay for 5 years and 35000 miles...we bought it used and sold it for almost what we paid. These PW Class B Vans have tremendous resale value.
The most expensive repairs you will run into will likely be MB repairs...German parts are expensive and can take time to obtain. I say this as a BMW owner and I doubt MB is any different. The expensive coach parts like the fridge, stove etc. seldom fail or usually can be repaired for less money than one of those 3rd party insurance plans but that comes down to personal choice.
Our PW was based on the Dodge platform and we never had any failures of any components...it was a very reliable motor home. We moved up to a Class A because the Class B was not suitable for long term living. JMHO
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #6

Gently Used Pleasure-Way Purchase

I contacted PleasureWay and asked about the alternative battery. PW removes it from the coach because of the Lithiums. I contacted the dealer immediately and told them not to install another battery.

I realized the MB maintenance and repairs will be expensive. I have a Volvo so have some experience

I agree about the extended maintenance. I am going to obtain either Coach-Net or Progressive extended for Roadside Assistance, but will skip the extended warranty insurance.

Thank you so much for getting back to me with regard to my concerns.

Happy traveling to you!!!

Barb