Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #1

Pricing a Roadtrek

I have wanted a small RV ever since I was a young girl in high school (now retired). I have been researching the past few years and have pretty much settled on buying a Roadtrek (though I wish they had a better shower setup). Since I am totally green when it comes to RVs, can anyone suggest what percentage of the MSRP would be reasonable to offer? I would hate to overpay, yet wouldn't want to offend by making a ridiculously low offer.

Thanks for the info.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #2

It is YOUR money!

I make an offer that makes them look at me like I have 3 heads. Sometimes it is just a low point for bargaining, and 2 times they took my offer.

I try to never leave any of MY money on the table.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are worried about offending because of a low offer, you probably will should not leave home because you will most likely pay too much. Now lets move on with advise.

You should find a stocking dealer who has most of the models available. Their a an example of such a dealer named Dave Aborgast is in the Dayton, OH area/just north. Or go to a major show where Roadtrek will be represented. Not knowing where you live prevents me from being more specific. However, you may have to travel a distance.

Many used units have few miles on them and it does not make sense to buy new. RV Trader on line is a very good place to get an idea of what is available. Back to the offending issue, just remember all of the on line ads are priced more than 20% high so make an offer 50% low if you get that far. Also now, Fall is a good time to buy, Spring and early summer is the worst for price. We just bought one in August and could not believe the deal we got. Have fun.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #4

why not a small class A or C? Personally I think most of those class B's are way overpriced for what you get anyway.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #5

Once I knew what I wanted I used Oodle.com and I entered what I was searching for and set up to be alerted when one was advertised. I set my location to "entire country " so I could determine what that unit was selling for everywhere. My persistence and patience paid off as I found a used unit with low miles , stored under a patio cover and 1 owner plus they were selling for much lower than what I had been seeing. After viewing pictures of the unit and talking with the seller etc I felt confident about traveling to another state to buy it. I figured the worst that could happen was its condition wasn't what the pictures showed and I would just fly back home. It was a $1000 gamble so to speak , but that wasn't the case and it looked brand new and well taken care of . We've drove it around 30,000 miles since and absolutely love it. As you can see by my Avatar I still own a Class A Bounder but we bought a Pleasure Way Excel TS just to travel/sightsee . To be able to park anywhere easily etc we get to see lots more things along the road than if I was traveling in our Class A and a Toad. We just did 10 weeks driving to Alaska this past summer and had a trip of a lifetime and not once did we ever wish we had the Class A. Photography is my hobby so I want to pull over everywhere and see everything.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
DPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
why not a small class A or C? Personally I think most of those class B's are way overpriced for what you get anyway.
She wants a small RV. Most Roadtreks will park in a standard parking space. Very few A or C will.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see from an earlier post that you live in a gated community and wanted to hide the Class B in your garage.

Are there CC&R's forbidding RV's? Hope not as you could be in for legal problems. Don't forget......noisy/PIA neighbors would be glad to turn you in to the Board.

Be sure of your standing before you get a RV. See a lawyer and take him the CC&R paperwork.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hay Scooter, what does that have to do with the thread subject. PIA?
Old 12-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lme1115 View Post
I have wanted a small RV ever since I was a young girl in high school (now retired). I have been researching the past few years and have pretty much settled on buying a Roadtrek (though I wish they had a better shower setup). Since I am totally green when it comes to RVs, can anyone suggest what percentage of the MSRP would be reasonable to offer? I would hate to overpay, yet wouldn't want to offend by making a ridiculously low offer.

Thanks for the info.
It looks like you made your selection.

Generally, one might go in with about 30% or so, off list for starters on a B, but it depends on the dealer and how long the unit has been around and how eager he/she is to make a sale. If money is an issue there will be last year models and good used units around, but good Class Bs seem to keep thier value better than others.

Options need to be considered also, and apple to apple comparisons should be made even between RT dealers. I would never buy one without a macerator or a gen for example. Why a Macerator, well it is soooo easy to dump at any house. I would also never buy an RV with a propane gen, but that is just me. Much easier to get gas or diesel than propane, but it depends on planned usage when considering this aspect,

Good luck. There are many advantages in being able to park wherever a car can. Hope you get what you want for the $$ you want.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
targaboat: In another thread she mentioned a "gated community" and "hiding" the RV. If by perchance there were CC&R's...........possible trouble.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Scooter, just send her a PM for we are talking about buying a Class B. If you need help in doing a PM I would be glad to help.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #12

LME1115...I'm a newbie like you and the general advice is that you can get 25 to 35% off mfr. list on anything. Based on that....I'd start with an offer of around 40% off list and be prepared to actually walk away if they refuse to consider less than 30% off.
The other thing which is interesting is last years models remaining on lots which are new and can often be had for even less...and of course lightly used models a year old or so with very little mileage. I'm amazed at the number of used RV's out there with less than 5-10k miles on them for sale.
Haven't bought "mine" yet either but that summarizes what I've learned about price from the experienced here. Good luck on your hunt!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
When I was buying a new RV, I listed everything I wanted in a spreadsheet and then sent it to 3 different dealers. I then took the lowest price bid to my local dealer and told him if he matched the low price, he could have the deal. He jumped on the opportunity.

So I got my RV at a fair price at a dealer who was convenient to me. If the local dealer does not have the model and add on's you want, ask him to order it.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
targaboat: You know the old saying "No good deed should go unpunished" So the best price becomes moot if she cannot take the RV inside the gated community.

I am pretty sure she will read my post without looking for a PM. After all, she is the OP.

Why don't you send her a PM and ask her to check this thread ( in case there are CC&R restrictions against her Class B) ?