Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #1

Question Recommendation for used Class B

We are on the market for a comfortable, used Class B. Would like to spend $15,000 or less. We are not interested in bells & whistles. We have been big RV'ers in the past & live aboard sailors, so we know the more "things" you have the more will break!

We're an older couple looking for something to "camp" in. I'm through with my pup tent days!

Which are the best makes/models to consider? Which ones should we stay away from? Many thanks, Ariel
arielboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #2

I would strongly suggest a older Roadtrek. They make great class B units and have made them for many years so you should, with some level of patience, find a well cared for and maintained unit. Let your fingers do the walking, the internet is your friend!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #3

Roadtrek International is a good place to look. Roadtreks For Sale 2012

You'll find a number of used RT's for sale so you can start to get an idea of year/mileage/model. We watched the site for a while while checking out some used models at Roadtrek dealers. After a few months, we decided what we wanted and found a couple advertised on the Roadtrek International site that were within a reasonable drive and wound up buying one.

For $15,000, you'll probably end up with something around 1995 or so. It will be on a Dodge Chassis. You'll likely find more 190's than other models and they come in two basic layouts. The Versitile and the Popular. The Versitile has the two seats up front plus two passenger seats (one behind the driver and one behind the co-pilot). The Popular has only one addition passenger seat behind the co-pilot. The other big difference...sleeping arrangement in the Versitle is sideways. Sleeping is lengthwise in the Popular.

There are some quirks to every year but just do your homework and you'll be fine. A friend on mine has a 1994 Dodge/Roadtrek with 230,000 miles. He just got home from his four month winter trip so a well maintained unit will last a long time.

Good luck in your search.
diepenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
FOr that amountt of money you might find a decent R-Vision, traillite in the 2002-2003 bracket.. They are average quality but with the Ford E350 you will get 15-16MPG at around 90 MPH. Easy to drive, 21-23 feet and much more spacious than a Roadtrek. I like Roadtrek but for the money you want to spend the R-Vision is much more spacious and would work very well. My 2 cents.
camperme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #5

In your quest, make sure you use the NADA RV Guide as a reference. This is available online and is free.

Some sellers will list their B for what they owe on the loan or they are simply on a high priced fishing expedition. I searched for over a year before I finally found a lightly used Roadtrek at a fair price.

Be patient and you will find your B
Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperme2 View Post
FOr that amountt of money you might find a decent R-Vision, traillite in the 2002-2003 bracket.. They are average quality but with the Ford E350 you will get 15-16MPG at around 90 MPH. Easy to drive, 21-23 feet and much more spacious than a Roadtrek. I like Roadtrek but for the money you want to spend the R-Vision is much more spacious and would work very well. My 2 cents.

Gotta be a typo RIGHT? Who drives 90 MPH ( at any time, much less far enough to avg 15-16 mpg?) in a Class B, or any other vehicle for that matter.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
recommendation for used Class B

Rschleder. Yes , I did make a typo when I put in 90 MPH; should have been 90 KPH. Still, the R-Vision was good value and I was able to purchase a newer rig with less miles than I could get in a Roadtrek. I have owned both rigs and if you are taking longer trips the R-Vision is a better unit. For Weekends and a few days (or if you travelled solo) the Roadtrek was excellent.
camperme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #8

I just recently purchased a 1998 Roadtrek with 88k miles for $15k. It was taken care of and serviced every 5,000 miles. It is in perfect condition. I just returned from a cross country trip and it was excellent to travel and camp in. No problems, great ride and I love it.
Debbie Kruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #9

My experience was to figure out what I wanted and then watch and wait. I wound up with the best older RV in the country, I think. Many, many extras, Timbrens, new shocks, brakes, refrigerator, water heater, 56,000 miles and so on, but it went for less than it's worth because it was an '87.

And I watched and waited for a long, long time, and pounced. I tend to do that.

I've also purchased cars by telling people the truth and giving them a choice. I'll tell them that the car is worth more than I have, and if they ever decide to sell it for that price I'd be delighted to buy it. That is both honest, and gives them a choice.

Good luck.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #10

I am looking at a roadtrek 2008 popular it has 37,000 miles on it ..it does not have a backup camera on it ...it is just the basic model..and they want $39,000 for it a $4000 for the warrinty....is that a good price in florida...from a dealer????
sandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandee View Post
I am looking at a roadtrek 2008 popular it has 37,000 miles on it ..it does not have a backup camera on it ...it is just the basic model..and they want $39,000 for it a $4000 for the warrinty....is that a good price in florida...from a dealer????
Backup camers were not a standard feature on 2008 models. I've thought about adding one to my '08 190P but it's not critical for me.

You can compare prices here. It's the FMCA site for Roadtreks. Roadtreks For Sale 2012 You didn't say if its a 170P, 190P or 210P nor equipment such as generator. That makes a difference but $39K sounds reasonable if it's it good shape. Maybe even on the lower end if it's a 190P or a 210P. Check the site and do other internet serches to get as many comparisons as possible.

The $4000 warranty is basically an insurance policy and there are a couple pieces to that puzzle. The chassis on my 2008 190P is feels basically new to me. The Chevy chassis and the RV portion. Check it closely or take it to a mechanic but brakes and shocks should about the only thing that should be close to wearing out if it's been taken care of. Mine is completely original but I know some folks have replaced brakes and shocks at 30K.

The generator is the most expesive part of the RV. Even if it has not been used during camping, it should have been "exercized" at leas a half hour every month. A 2008 should have at least 40 hours on it just as normal maintenance. Either way, you might want to run it for at least an hour under load with the A/C running just to check it out. The gen also powers the microwave and the coffee maker so you can see if they work while the gen is running too.

Good luck.
diepenj is offline   Reply With Quote