Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:36 AM   #15

I may also be wrong but in 9+ years of fulltiming we've never found that type of spot closest would be an Elks or Moose lodge. You will have to join the organization and they sent goun to be right off the highway.

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 06:42 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
In my experience a lot of those quick off the highway campgrounds that offer overnight rate w plug ins tend to fill up with transient worker rigs looking for a cheap place. IMHO, not real secure. I prefer the no hassle method of using a RV app like Allstays or RVparky and target campgrounds with decent reviews that mention easy access. Sure you can pull into a Walmart or Lowes and save $30 for a night but how peacefully do you rest thinking about prowlers or theft?

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWATBCLASS View Post
Thanks for the links, very helpful. We are happy to pay whatever it costs....this is about convenience not cost. We are located in New Smyrna Beach and Green Bay WI Travelling between those locals and CA...Transient is the key and I was thinking there may be overnight parking with just power and no facilities other than power...something "other than" a campground....Perhaps I am all wet but hopefully this explains it better...
Why don't you want campgrounds?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #18

Quick Overnights

I think everyone understands our goal now.....and thanks so much for the insight....We purchased the Unity MB as a nimble travelling hotel as it were........for journeys as opposed to destinations.......A little different approach I know......I guess secure highway rest stops might be the easy answer........Having said that I think there is a business opportunity out there for what we were trying to find....Travel Safe, Keep Healthy, and Thank you all again!!
Old 02-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #19

FWIW What we noticed is that a lot of campgrounds on the busy routes like I-95 are somewhat segregated between the in today, gone tomorrow folks and the longer term folks. At least if we get a late start there are few other folks still there. ;-)
Old 02-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #20

Quote:
I think everyone understands our goal now.....and thanks so much for the insight....We purchased the Unity MB as a nimble travelling hotel as it were........for journeys as opposed to destinations.......A little different approach I know......I guess secure highway rest stops might be the easy answer........Having said that I think there is a business opportunity out there for what we were trying to find....Travel Safe, Keep Healthy, and Thank you all again!!

Do you have a generator? Then you don't need to worry about power. Many campgrounds let guests arrive late, and just put the fee in a Dropbox. That way it's quick, and you don't need to even unplug and coil up a shore power cord when leaving early in the morning. Just drive away.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
These places are called campgrounds. 😉
Old 02-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
I may also be wrong but in 9+ years of fulltiming we've never found that type of spot closest would be an Elks or Moose lodge. You will have to join the organization and they sent goun to be right off the highway.
Nana25K
In Ohio there are eight highway rest areasthat have $20 overnight parking areas for RVs and travel trailers with electrical outlets, a wastewater dump station and potable water filling station.
See: Service Plazas
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-28-2016, 08:46 AM   #23

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do understand what you are looking for - no need for a restroom or shower, no need for a swimming pool or fishing hole.

You might try this site and look in the forums to see if anyone is using it this way:
https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

Another one is Harvest Hosts which is geared for self contained RV'ers. It seems like the purpose is that you do purchase something/anything, but maybe everyone on your Christmas list gets wine or alpaca scarves this year

https://harvesthosts.com/
Old 02-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Nana25K
In Ohio there are eight highway rest areasthat have $20 overnight parking areas for RVs and travel trailers with electrical outlets, a wastewater dump station and potable water filling station.
See: Service Plazas
Mel
'96 Safari
Sorry forgot to mention those. They are small. None oif our rigs would have ever fit on them.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgarcia View Post
I do understand what you are looking for - no need for a restroom or shower, no need for a swimming pool or fishing hole.

You might try this site and look in the forums to see if anyone is using it this way:

Another one is Harvest Hosts which is geared for self contained RV'ers. It seems like the purpose is that you do purchase something/anything, but maybe everyone on your Christmas list gets wine or alpaca scarves this year

https://harvesthosts.com/
I belong to boondockers welcome and it's a great program. We have hosted travelers as well as used to stay at other members homes. Definately check it out.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpokane View Post
I belong to boondockers welcome and it's a great program. We have hosted travelers as well as used to stay at other members homes. Definately check it out.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks for the links, very helpful. We are happy to pay whatever it costs....this is about convenience not cost. We are located in New Smyrna Beach and Green Bay WI Travelling between those locals and CA...Transient is the key and I was thinking there may be overnight parking with just power and no facilities other than power...something "other than" a campground....Perhaps I am all wet but hopefully this explains it better...
Most of the KOA or Good Sam "Campgrounds" are very easy to pull into and out of, most will even allow you to reserve pull-thru sites. Some states like Utah have nice rest areas where you can pull over for the night but no power and you don't want to extend slides or awnings, California has a few but most on my routes are usually closed. Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:05 AM   #28

Smaller Rig Overnight Resource

With a couple days research the best resource I uncovered was the All Stay App....tremendously flexible filter capability tailors precisely the overnight stop over on all national routes......was surprised to learn that overnight rest stops are not allowed (albeit frequently violated) in almost all states between Wisconsin and Florida.....Thanks again everyone for the invaluable insight.....

Tags
power