Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #1

Question Spare tire for Travato/Ram ProMaster

I'm having a terrible time finding a wheel for a spare tire for a ProMaster (and Winnebago Travato) other than a $305 wheel (just the rim, not with the tire) from Dodge/Ram itself. Has anyone found the right size after-market wheel for a ProMaster for a spare? I don't care what it looks like since it's for a spare--just that it will fit on the ProMaster.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:04 PM   #2

You try Discount Tire, ect?

Old 04-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #3

Yes, Kevin-B, I tried Discount Tire, but I don't know who else you're referencing via "ect" (etc.). DT has nothing, saying it's an unusual bolt pattern at 5x130.

I've tried local tire shops, both chain and independent, and so far no success.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:51 AM   #4

Here is a link for the stock rim from Hubcaphaven, it's $189 which is better than $305.

ALYPROMAST14 Dodge Ram Promaster Wheel Silver Painted

Do you have a tire carrier or are you going to put it inside on the floor?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:13 AM   #5

Tjeeper, that's Problem #2 which I plan to address after I find the tire and wheel. If you have a link to a tire holder that will work on the ProMaster, please provide it. I don't want to carry it inside both due to space limitations and for safety reasons, but I most likely need a carrier that will fit into the hitch and move away so I can open the rear doors if necessary. If you know of any that will work with the ProMaster, let me know.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #6

mtmtyah,

I have found this swing-away tire carrier:

HG Series - TireGate.comTireGate.com

However the horizontal bar that is parallel with the bumper that stays in place when the tire is swung open prohibits the doors from opening.

There is a solution by using a 2" hi-low drop hitch like this:

2in High Low Drop Hitch-pplmotorhomes.com

I talked to Roadmaster that makes this drop hitch and they said it would work for what I want to use it for.

Now the problem might be that the lowest horizontal bar on the swing-away might be too low to the ground. I have not talked to the manufacturer (Tiregate) about this, guess I should.

I have talked to Tiregate and they are looking into making one for the Promaster since they are getting requests for it.

I am thinking about calling Roadtrek and seeing what they are using for a tire carrier on the new Zion that is on the Promaster chassis.

In the mean while, I have purchased the Safety Seal tire repair kit, and purchased Coach Net Tire Replacement Policy.

If you find anything about the above, please let me know.

Thank you.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:22 AM   #7

Rear door spare tire mount.

Rear Door Spare Tire Mount - Ram Promaster Forum
Old 04-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #8

Now that is thinking outside-of-the-box, great idea!

I saw that on the Promaster Forum, but wondering how it will hold up without elongating the holes etc. even with the support inside the door. A cable should be installed so it stops the tire from hitting the tail light lens or the body.

In fact when I bought my Jeep TJ, that mount was on it and I took it off to put a swing-away on the Jeep that has a rack and brackets for water and gas cans. Never had it on long enough to see if it would do any damage to the tailgate on the Jeep.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #9

Question

I see this site has two--a cheaper one plus the one that looks exactly like the tires on the ProMaster. Since I want this just for a spare, will the cheaper one work as well or is there a reason (other than looks) to go with the $189 one for a spare?

Also I remember reading somewhere that someone is supposed to be coming out with a spare tire carrier specifically for ProMasters this year. Does anyone have knowledge about (or a link to information on) that?

Dodge Ram ProMaster Wheels Rims Wheel Rim Stock OEM Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjeeper View Post
Here is a link for the stock rim from Hubcaphaven, it's $189 which is better than $305.

ALYPROMAST14 Dodge Ram Promaster Wheel Silver Painted

Do you have a tire carrier or are you going to put it inside on the floor?
Old 04-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #10

mtmtyah,

No reason why the cheaper rim won't work. It's the same bolt pattern. The cheaper rim is for the "commercial" trucks for plumbers, carpenters, etc. who don't want to spend extra for fancy rims. If you're in doubt, call the supplier, 1-877-482-4283. If I get a carrier for the Promaster, I will be getting the cheaper rim.

See my post above dated 4/21 also about the spare tire carrier. Tiregate said they are looking into making a spare tire carrier since they are getting requests for it.

Have a good week.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the rim info..I want one too..I do have receiver hitch bike rack that folds back..it's an older Yakima. If I cut off the holder on the top I think I only need a plate welded to the front that will mount tire. Do any of you think this will be an overloading problem?? Thanks. .Wayne in Mass 59k