Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Spending time outside your MH

Just got back from a trip to Alaska on the Alcan in a Class C motorhome.
We went from home to Dawson Creek, Laird Hot Springs, Whitehorse, Dawson City, Top of The World Highway, Fairbanks, Danalhi, Anchorage,Seward, Valdez, the Cassiar Highway, Stewart Hyder, Prince George, then home. 6,500 Miles. A great trip. Traveled with another couple who pulled a 5th wheel. A great trip. We tried to book RV parks or Provincial or State parks that had fire rings, and tried to eat most of our meals outside.

The last few days of our trip (35 days) we started talking about all the MH's that we saw in the parks. It seemed like if it was 30 ft. or over, and had at least two slides, we rarely saw the people in them, and never saw them eating outside, and never saw them sitting around a fire.

My question is, why is that? Is this typical?

Xpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
I spent last summer in Alaska traveling almost the same route you took. Since I didn't have a car I walked/hiked everywhere. I would leave sometime as early as 4:00am and return at 7-8:00pm. So most of my day was spent away from the RV. Even now, if the weather is nice, I'm frequently away most of the day and return late afternoon or early evening. I cook outside on the grill 90% of the time but always eat inside.

2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
We love the Great Outdoors and spend a lot of time out there. But first we; make sure the awning is out, the patio rug is in place, the sunscreen is up and tent pegged to the soil, bug zapper running, 42" LCD is fired up, dish aimed, propane fire burning and our zero gravity loungers facing the coach and the basement fridge.

If the area is very scenic we play a DVD showing the highlights of that area.

Story here
MickBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
I can tell you that my bride (of 30 years) and I just walked back in from having a wonderful dinner outside. We can't/don't do this every night due to location, weather, neighborhood, etc., but we do eat outside when we can.
We are full-timers in a 40' Prevost (but not slides, so maybe we don't count).
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You've touched on a great point. Several things come into play I think. One is how we each see "our activity"... ie, we certainly don't feel like we're "camping". We full time in our 40' diesel with four slides and when the weather is too hot, too cold, too windy (you get the picture), we just "stay home". It's not like we're using up valuable days of our vacation by staying inside. I am more of the outdoor person than DW and do have to pry her out of the coach sometimes though... and she's usually glad I did.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
great post!

we started tent camping, then to a westfalia, then a tent trailer, and then a tow trailer (21 foot). Now, we have a 35 foot motorhome; this our first year with it and camping season with it).

for sure - we notice ourselves more inside than past years camping - and previous "versions" of camping.

I also think fulltimers use their motorhome different than weekenders.

thanks for raising this
interesting to see what else is posted

peter & larry... tiffin 2015 allegro 36LA ~ chevy 2009 HHR tow
we're here... http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=12260
our blog... http://wllrtr.tumblr.com
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now days people who live in or near a big city seldom know or speek to the people next door. I think this sometimes comes with them when the go camping.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post

I also think fulltimers use their motorhome different than weekenders.

For me "The Cabin" functions primarily a "base camp"...The "shoe-leather express" allows for great mobility, as does the toad and the bicycles.....I see RVing as a "camping" activity, which I am sure is different than the full timers perspective.

The only time I am inside is when the weather is dangerous, when meals are being prepared, or when I am sleeping..but even that is not 100% as will I sometimes backpack to a remote spot and do a 1-2 day tent overnighter...

I made the mistake a year ago of upgrading the 21" TV into a 32" flat-screen, and truth is, I have never even watched it yet! For all I know, it may no longer even function!
Michael (Home base Northern CO)
USED TO HAVE; 03 Alpine 40MDTS Now RVless
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the great things about a modern day travel trailer or motorhome, is that you can enjoy them without going outside. Why have air conditioning, cooking facilities, a frig, and a 40 inch flatscreen, if you aren't going to use them. I still build a campfire, on occassion if the urge arises, and it is allowed, but I also enjoy football, or NASCAR on occassion. Best of both worlds.

I would agree with speed racer above, the world we live in today is not nearly as "neighborly" as it used to be.

dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
42' Spend as much time as I can outside. RV's in general promote outside activities and encourage owners to be more outdoors. This is one of the great things about all RVs. You just want to be out
Fleetwood Providence 2008 40e
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel 6.0L 2006
Honda CR-V 2006
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
Who can top this....three years ago (pre-RV) my wife and I were in a lodge in Yellowstone. There was a man sitting at the bar, drinking, and video taping the wildlife scenes being shown on the bar TV. He told us his friends back home would really enjoy seeing his "adventures"
Pat and Jim Makely, Stuart,FL
2003 Journey DL, 330 Cat
2007 CRV, Roadmaster Bar and Brake
Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We spend less time outside than we used to when RVing. Part of it is simply that the coach is large and comfortable, plus we have great tv and internet all the time now. And we live in our coach, and that produces a different style of RVing too. If its hot or cold out today, we still have tomorrow or next week or what ever. Guess that makes us lazy. Now we tend to go out only when it is really nice. We still grill outside, but tend to eat in. Guess we aren't "campers" anymore - just tourists.

But when we toured Alaska (2002), we spent a lot of time outside, even when chilly (which was often). We went to see the scenery & the wildlife and didn't want to miss any of it! Can't imagine doing anything less, but we saw several of the sort who traveled by caravan, went only to organized events, and otherwise stayed inside.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
We have a 45ft RIG, Tv's, Surround Sound, Internet, Comfy Couches, the works...Whenever weather permits, we are outside enjoying nature, G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the weather is nice we will sit out with the pups, otherwise we purchased our MH to take the creature comforts with us.

David & Teresa
2008 Fleetwood Terra
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote