RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The EPA can fine a station up to $32,500 per pump, per day if it's not labeled with a ULSD label. The FTC requires no label for diesel containing less than 6% biodiesel, but from 6% to 20% it must be labeled "Biodiesel Blend" https://regi.com/docs/default-source...rsn=6&sfvrsn=6

Even in California, Oregon, and Washington state they must follow these regulations, although the EPA has been distracted from strictly enforcing regulations of late.

If you see a pump without proper labels, or, in our part of the country a state auditor's stamp that the measure has been tested, REPORT IT.
Bob
The pump is labeled, If you look carefully "up to 20% bio"is on the pump But its not on the reader Board out front always. I'm sure its "legal" The problem I've found is People pull in behind me and run up to my pump only to find nothing but that avail. In my Cat it isn't a problem,I just pump away, but I've had Two sprinters campers pull in behind me on the just last trip "Home" from AZ only to find it was over 5 bio and had to work their way out of line... not happily. The last guy said He'd been to 4 stations and couldn't find what he needed.

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Most of the responses have been from big diesel owners. You guys are generally correct but us Sprinter owners tend to get all weird about biodiesel. Mercedes came to grips with all this a couple of years ago as it seemed their initial read on biodiesel in the US was it was something like recycled cooking fat. Maybe this was a case of lost in translation.

When Mercedes finally figured out that biodiesel in the US was made to high standards and regulated, they started to change their recommendations. The latest is 0%-B5 can always be used. B10 is probably fine. If you have to use B20, check your oil a bit more frequently and fill the tank with B5 when you can. This applies to the newer V6 Sprinters. The older 5 cylinder and 4 cylinder diesels probably have tighter restrictions but probably could stand a tank of B20 once in a while without problems.

The information above came from a conversation with a MB Sprinter national service director.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post

When Mercedes finally figured out that biodiesel in the US was made to high standards and regulated, they started to change their recommendations. The latest is 0%-B5 can always be used. B10 is probably fine. If you have to use B20, check your oil a bit more frequently and fill the tank with B5 when you can. This applies to the newer V6 Sprinters.
The information above came from a conversation with a MB Sprinter national service director.
I'm a bit more skeptical- Both the Sprinter Manual and 2 Mercedes bio-
brochures are much less soothing than your service director.

Warranty Guidelines for Biodiesel Usage
Diesel fuels between B6 and B20 or higher pose risks of engine and fuel system damage, and are not approved by Mercedes-Benz.
B20 is a non-approved fuel
It also says: Fuel with biodiesel content greater than 20%, including B100, is not approved by Mercedes-Benz due to the risk of severe engine damage. Any damage caused by the use of such non-approved fuels will not be covered by the Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty

Both Flying J and Loves post online the bio-diesel levels at each station and most are B-15 or B-20. I do have a station in my neighborhood that carries non bio diesel and non ethanol gas. So I start and end each trip with non- bio diesel.

It is reassuring that there are not a rash of fuel related problems reported with MB diesels or reports of warranty coverage being denied..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #18

Sorry I have to change the subject because I'm not used to using this forum. Can anyone tell me the operating range on the Mercedes 180 up, 3.0 liter. Also if there is a chip to get better performance on hills.
TWO GYPSIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO GYPSIES View Post
Sorry I have to change the subject because I'm not used to using this forum. Can anyone tell me the operating range on the Mercedes 180 up, 3.0 liter. Also if there is a chip to get better performance on hills.

Not sure what you mean by, "operating range" but if you mean operating temperature it's reported to 188 to 192. I'm sure there are chips or performance mods, but they would void any warranty and increasing horsepower would put more stress on the transmission. Relax and enjoy the scenery!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Here's what the dealer provided to me (provided my Mercedes) before I bought my Sprinter chassis motorhome. In FL and most of the south, you can ONLY get B20 so I wanted to make sure prolonged use of B20 would not invalidate any warranty.

http://biodiesel.org/docs/default-so...e.pdf?sfvrsn=2
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tom,

Thanks for posting that article. It will hopefully reduce the insanity in Sprinter owners about biodiesel.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Tom,
Thanks for posting that article. It will hopefully reduce the insanity in Sprinter owners about biodiesel.
That article is carefully worded to avoid saying that any damage attributed to Bio-diesel over 5% will be covered by your Mercedes new vehicle warranty. It does not approve the use of Bio-diesel blends above B-5. It does provide action you can take to minimize the harmful effects of bio-diesel.

It does say-
Continuous use of B20 fuel can lead to fuel filter clogging and injector
deposits, and can cause the engine oil level to rise due to unburned fuel
washing into the oil pan. A clogged fuel filter as well as injector deposits can
cause engine performance degradation while increased engine oil levels due
to dilution by unburned fuel can cause engine mechanical damage
Old 07-13-2018, 07:06 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
I think Mercedes worries about biodiesel is magnified because they are an overseas company and don't fully understand the American fuel market. If bad fuel was distributed, the offending company would be liable for damages. Perhaps Germany has laws more favorable towards business and less towards the consumer. If B20 was bad for diesel engines, I'd think that the trucking industry would be the first to squeal. Since B20 is widely available and in place of pure diesel, I suspect the cautions by MB is more to CYA than truly bad for the engine. This is not the same issues that ethynol gas caused to gas engines with plastic and rubber that the ethynol dissolved.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
I believe if Mother Mercedes started denying warranty coverage due to fuel usage (dictated by availability) it would have a disastrous effect on their U.S. sales.
I have yet to understand how bio-diesel can dilute crankcase oil enough to actually raise the oil level and non-bio doesn't have the same effect from the extra fuel burned during DPF regen...
Old 07-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #25

I can not help but wonder if MB's cautions about biodiesel over 5% may be related to their emission control system rather than over any engine problems. I do not fully understand how all of this works and as others have pointed out, here, it may be no more than a cop-out on warranty coverage.

604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote