RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

Sprinter and 5% bio restriction?

Can someone explain this biofuel restriction, and what the heck is bio fuel.

Jima5813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Biodiesel is made from vegetable oil, not crude oil. Most diesel engines can run on 100% biodiesel, but in cold weather, it can gel sooner. Biodiesel can also cause issues with fuel systems that have components that can be attacked by the biodiesel. B5 biodiesel, which is 95% crude, 5% biodiesel, is usually at a low enough concentration that it is fine for all diesel engines. B10 or B20 might attack rubber or plastic parts of the fuel system. If your engine manufacturer cautions not to use over B5 diesel fuel, I'd pay attention at the pump so you don't cause issues with your fuel system.

Biodiesel is often more expensive than crude diesel, and it has slightly less BTU per gallon than 'dinodiesel' (made from crude oil) so some folks claim they get worse mileage.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #3

That's pretty funny as I was just going to ask about the "Mercedes biofuel restriction" posted on another thread.

Biofuel is a combination of bio (brewed from organic material) and standard diesel. When we were in Florida last winter pretty much the only diesel I could find was a 5% biodiesel (5% bio/95% oil)) blend which is approved for use in Mercedes engines. They caution against using anything higher than 20% unless it is an emergency.

I've never seen anything > 5% but I also had not seen the 5% until this past winter. If 5% is what is generally available then I don't see it as much of a "restriction" since it is an approved blend.

Dave
Old 06-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
A number of states are requiring stations to sell B5 fuel, it helps their farm industries and is cleaner burning than pure crude diesel. B5 fuel doesn't need a special label in many states, the U.S. government considers it just diesel if it's 5% or less.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #5

Thanks

Do most states provide the 5 % at the travel places like loves or flying j that a lot of travellers frequent. Also is it more likeky to also be found at the regular gas stations. Thanks for the quick explanations.
Jima5813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima5813 View Post
Do most states provide the 5 % at the travel places like loves or flying j that a lot of travellers frequent. Also is it more likeky to also be found at the regular gas stations. Thanks for the quick explanations.
B5 is considered the same as pure dino-diesel, so a definitive answer to your question is hard to find. A few states mandate all diesel be a blend, especially summer months. TERC - Alternative Fuels: State Regulations

I've had diesel vehicles for over 30 years, before the low and ultra-low sulfur regulations went into effect and after. I've used B100 just to see what it was about, exhaust smelled like french fries and it was more expensive than other diesel fuels, so I don't use it as a regular fuel.

If it concerns you, buy when you see pure dino-diesel for sale and watch the blue labels on pumps to tell what you're getting. I've never had an issue, even in -20ļ winters, but maybe that's just me.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #7

If you use B5 you can put on the bumper sticker that declares " I AM SAVING THE EARTH"
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:29 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I have not found 5% Bio in Nevada, CA. OR or WA. All of the stops are mainly 20%. All of the Pilot and Loves in those states are 20%.
I just change my fuel filter sooner.

Steve
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #9

I would like to avoid putting biodiesel in my Sprinter if I can find it.

Is there an app or website that one can consult while traveling to find out who is selling non bio diesel?
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
I would like to avoid putting biodiesel in my Sprinter if I can find it.

Is there an app or website that one can consult while traveling to find out who is selling non bio diesel?
Since the difference in low % biodiesel and dino diesel is really a non-issue in newer diesel engines, I don't see the effort worth searching for pure dino diesel. Your own state of Florida passed SB 1284 requiring in 12/31/11, all diesel to contain at least 2% biodiesel, increasing to 5% biodiesel after annualized in-state biodiesel production capacity reaches 233 million gallons.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Sprinter and 5%bio restriction?

The problem as told to me by several newer Mercedes sprinter owners i know is they canít or shouldnít run over 5% . Itís in the owners manual. And using it causes issues $$$$$ with the Mercedes. Like 4 grand issues.
Most diesels itís no problem on up to 20% but not the current sprinters. And if you lived in the west coast B 20 is much more common and not as clearly labeled at the street sign ......than B 5 which is a guarantee ! pure diesel just isnít found. I suspect the state tax incentives to use B20 are great to the retailer many pumps just say ďUp to 20%Ē with no other notice.
I know several folks who downsized and have had issues relating to high Bio in The MERCEDES engine . fortunately they were warranty covered but those warranties are running out on a few.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Here's Mercedes own pamphlet on biodiesel. No problem with B5 or ULSD (pure dino-diesel)

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital..._Brochure5.pdf

Often it's agricultural interests involved in pushing biodiesel. Remember the pressure to use corn-based ethanol to boost the corn market and create jobs to build and run refineries? It took a lot of old cars off the roads that couldn't swallow the stuff.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Sprinter and 5%bio restriction?

Isnít that what I said? Nothing over 5% for Sprinters . Most of the country no problem but Out WEST the stations donít clearly label the over 5 % diesel and itís very common that itís over 5 % out here ....in fact I would venture most is higher than 5 % almost all the big truck stops only carry it. Nobody disagrees that 5 isnít a problem . Itís the over 5 and not knowing that it is .
Kinda like on the west coast you canít find e85. Luckily itís at least labeled B20 isnít always.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
The EPA can fine a station up to $32,500 per pump, per day if it's not labeled with a ULSD label. The FTC requires no label for diesel containing less than 6% biodiesel, but from 6% to 20% it must be labeled "Biodiesel Blend" https://regi.com/docs/default-source...rsn=6&sfvrsn=6

Even in California, Oregon, and Washington state they must follow these regulations, although the EPA has been distracted from strictly enforcing regulations of late.

If you see a pump without proper labels, or, in our part of the country a state auditor's stamp that the measure has been tested, REPORT IT.

Bob & Donna