Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #1

Tell me about your Era or Class B tips and cold weather

We have a down payment on a 2015 70X Era. Won't be getting it until February. I want to know your experiences with the Era, likes, dislikes, tips, etc. Have you ever taken it out in colder weather? We like to cross country ski and I was wondering if we could ever do an overnight in it in the colder weather. Not too cold, lowest maybe 30s or 20s tops. Would only need the toilet, wouldn't shower, just bring our own water to drink and wash up. And how does it handle in a little snow. Again, not looking to go out in extremely harsh weather for extended period, just maybe an overnight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I just traded in a 2014 Aspect for a 2015 ERA 70A and have not looked back. I love my ERA. I love the maneuverability and how well it drives. I made a u-turn in the parking lot of the dealership and it was mine. I can not tell you anything about cold weather travel except that I was told as long as you run the furnace, you should not have any problems. The Aspect had way more storage, but I have found that I have plenty for what I need to take with me. I go to horse shows with my GSD. I actually like the fact that things are closer and more accessible. The one thing that I miss, however is the queen bed. And sometimes, the lack of aisle space with my 80# dog. I have had to train him to get on the bed/small couch when I need to cook or get dressed. I am going to a BIG horse show to Scottsdale from NE Texas in February and can't wait. It is a long, somewhat ugly drive, but I am looking forward to it. The only other down side to the ERA is the small waste water tanks. The Scottsdale show has dump stations(will have to unhook and drive) and a waste disposal truck who makes the rounds but charges. I'm afraid that they might have to come by everyday, not for the black water but for the gray water. I have found that between cooking and cleaning up as well as showers, my gray water tank fills up pretty fast.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #3

Smile Cold ERAs

I have owned 2013 ERA bought new. Have over 40,000miles on it and have no problems except in very high winds with sway. As far as winter, I have slept in the van in Iowa (visiting in laws) with no problems. I bought a small heater and run the generator. The insulation factor on the rig is fantastic as well keeping the winter temps out. Pull the blinds helps as well. Love the vehicle for many goods things. trade off is storage, small tanks. There are trade offs on any RV. The trip to Grand Canyon (*Wife's dream) breath taking. Entire trip was three weeks 6300 miles. and yes we are still married and planning this years adventures.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #4

We've had a 70A since April of 2013, and have about 23k miles on it. Longest trip 4500 miles and just short of 6 weeks.
Have had more issues with the Sprinter part of the equation than the Winnebago part. (second in a row like this)

My few issues with it are the complete brain dead designers lack of inside storage. They have wasted so much space under the couch and under the front side of the drivers side bed. Why couldn't they have put an access door for underside of the couch and some drawers into that front side of the mentioned bed.
Also, we are on our third tank mounted propane regulator, which is a common 70A issue. Know 4 others with these that have had to change out said regulator. 2 of these besides us more than once.
Otherwise the only other coach issue we've had was a small piece of loose cabinetry trim easily fixed with some glue.

Alterations I've done. Changed out the front counter mounted 22" TV for a 13" model, and moved it to a swing out mount on the end of the upper cabinet. Installed a replacement Honeywell digital furnace thermostat in place of the $2.00 one Winnebago uses. Very easy change out there, 2 wires & 2 screws. Mounted a MaxxAir II vent cover over the hall fan so it can be used in the rain. Works slick!
Also when we first got it, I took out all the drawers, both bed lids and anything else I could remove easily, and took a couple of packages of plastic zip ties, tied all the loose wiring up, checked all the screws I could find, and just basically tidied up all the stuff behind the cabinetry. Also where I could, I put some bulk insulation to help with the heat and cold. As of late 2013, Winnebago installed no insulation in the ERA. LOTS of bare metal in there behind all the cabinetry in those big voids that could have been used for more storage.
We have camped in temps as low as 24 degrees overnight with no plumbing problems the next day. The furnace is quiet for an RV furnace, and warms the inside up pretty quick. We have never run it all night. That's what sleeping bags are for.
Good luck with your new one.....
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #5

Thanks. I think the biggest worry I had was if the toilet would be ok in the cold weather. The updates sound very cool. One of the things we didn't like in the 70A was the TV on the counter also. It was a hard choice between the A and X. We may do some of those other things for our 70X. Glad you all are happy with yours. Getting excited to pick ours up in a couple weeks.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #6

3 of the things we didn't like about the X, the floorplan is backwards. The galley should be on the passenger side, and the macerator pump, which is needed because of the backwards floorplan, and the small fridge compared to the A.
We do like the rear couch/entertainment area idea though.

Keep in mind, the waste tank for the toilet is inside the van, so it won't freeze up near as easy. The seat gets cold though
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:12 AM   #7

Glad to hear the waste water tank is inside, I hope it's the same for the X. Like the 70A too, it was hard, liked certain things better about both. We went looking at the Era thinking we were going to get the A but fell in love with the 70X when I sat in the extremely comfortable chair next to the screen door lounged way back with my feet up on the chair in front and the warm sun shining on me, feeling completely part of the outdoors, and was in heaven. Also liked the two lounging areas. I do agree that I would have preferred the bath on the other side, but we were actually surprised how open the X felt. The A had a better fridge and also looked like better storage, that is definitely going to be something to get used to. ;o}
Old 02-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

Carry a gallon of drinkwater system antifreeze

I have been going all winter in Maryland, and as long as my tanks are kept low, and I add some water system antifreeze to displace the water in the trap and tanks, I have been fine. My water tank is inside, but as I am not in it all the time, I leave it drained with the water heater and just carry gallon jugs of water for the toilet and sink. But you have to remember the antifreeze after use or the traps and pumps will freeze.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:22 AM   #9
KC

I have friends that cold weather camp in Class B all the time, -10 and colder. They us RV antifreeze when they flush and keep bottle water for other uses inside the RV.

KC
Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #10

I only take my Dodge Roadtrek down to the 20's. Drain the fresh water tank, anti-freeze in the waste tanks, hot water heater on, & flush w/ fresh water from Gatorade bottles. Before I deploy, I kill the hot water heater, open the vent, and drain the system by pressing in the plug on the fresh water fill.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #11

Thanks all. I think I'll try to learn but I'll give this info to my husband as he's the one who usually deals with that stuff. Now that we have a macerator, not sure how that's going to go. Heard both good and bad things about it. ;o}. I have to tell you all something that happened. We went to pick up our Era from the dealership recently as our unit had come in, and there was an issue with the black paint with not only some scratches but a ghost like whitish discoloration in a couple places. Since they had only washed it that morning and we have bad weather on the East Coast, they didn't see it. Worried but they are getting us another unit which is set to go out end of this week. This is kind of freaking us out. Hopefully all will be ok. Honestly if we could afford it would probably go to a higher priced brand. If anyone knows anyone else that had issues with the black paint, please let us know. We were upset with both Winnebago AND our dealer as this unit was not inspected well, but our dealer is giving us a good price so trying one more time.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm kind of dazzled by the idea of getting another "high" priced brand. Thought the ERA was kind of on the high end of the spectrum. I LOVE my ERA even though I will be paying for it for the rest of my life. LOL Sorry about your paint issues. I'm thinking you just need to take a deep breath and all will be OK. I have heard no complaints from other ERA owners. Most love it like I do.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #13

Thanks! Is your Era black? We are at the very high end of what we can afford and trying to be hopeful. Our replacement is still not ready to be shipped. Very frustrated. If anyone has had ANY ISSUES with their PAINT especially the BLACK, please let us know ASAP! Thanks all.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
My ERA is silver. No paint problems that I know of. Hope you get yours soon. I know you will love it. I just got back from a trip to Scottsdale from NE Texas and then a couple of weeks ago just went another horse show closer to home. Still enamored with it. LOL

Tags
cold weather