Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Question Towing

Greetings everyone -
I grew up camping, stared at the tender age of 2. We had the good ol' Scamper pop up. Since I've been on my own, I've used a tent. Not too bad for me, BUT for my non outdoorsman northern born Hubby it's kinda rough! So to keep him happy and me out in the woods, we are looking to purchuse a 2004 Phoenix Cruiser 2551. It has a V10 4 speed automatic transmission Ford motor in it. Not too fond of Ford, like Chevy better, but we really like the unit. My question is, if anyone knows, what is the towing capacity of this thing. I want to tow my Jeep behind it, which weighs about 3500lbs (yes, I know, it's beast). Any help would be appreciated.

Fla Jeeper

Fla Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hard to predict the towing capacity of any motor home because it depends on several things.

Let me describe some terms:
Tare weight: Weight of the motor home before you load it up for a trip
Gross weight: Loaded for a trip.

Maximum Vehicle Gross Weight: The heaviest the motor home can safely be.

Maximum Combined Vehicle Gross Weight.. Motor home plus towed.

Towing capacity = the lesser of: MCVGW (the last term) and Gross weight -OR-
The rating of your hitch, likely 5,000 pounds if you do not use a drop/rise hitch adapter.

There is one more weight, Cargo Carrying Capacity.

Tare weight plus full tank of fuel, water and LP plus so many people.

There is a sticker somewhere in the coach that gives all these figures. (Save the hitch rating, that's on the hitch, but it is most likely 5,000 pounds.

This is a guess.. But my best guess is you should not have a problem with the JEEP.

HOWEVER: DO have an auxulariary braking system installed.. These systems allow the motor home driver to apply the brakes on the jeep.

Good systems include (normally) The M&G system, and Air Force One, these both use compressed air provided by the motor home however.. Gassers do not do that.

US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator.. I consider this the best as it gives full control of the towed brakes, either AUTOMATICALLY by the motor home or manually.

Invisi-Brake.... This is a new system and all I know is from the company web site, but it too looks very good.

All the above systems take like 1-2 seconds to "hook up" once they are installed.

Ready Brake.. This is a combo tow bar/surge brake.. I do not like it as well as the ones above since it can cause the brakes to "Drag" going down a steep grade.. I dont' know if they have figured a way to prevent that (But I know a way to do it)

All these systems with the possible (I DO NOT KNOW) exception of air force one do not require you do anything special in the jeep.

The following systems I do not recommend.. Even Brake, Brake Buddy and other "Box" systems..

Many like these because if you get a new towed you can simply move the box to it. However all take power from the towed's battery (not normally a problem) and all have to be installed EVERY TIME, Plus you have to "Prepare" the jeep by pumping the brakes several times with the engine off.

Very easy to forget a step, or mess up one. Or for a short trip say "Oh, Forget it"

This is why I don't like them.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #3

You should find this in your owners manual. If you don't have a manual, call Phoenix and ask, have your VIN ready. From what I found with an internet search, this unit has a GVW of 11,500#, but didn't find any towing references.
If your Phoenix will safely tow 3,500#, you will need an axillary braking system for your Jeep.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Thanks for the info. We are going to pick her up tomorrow. We are very excited!!!
Fla Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote