Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Transit Based Class B/C

Any rumblings out there talking about RV manufacturers building a Class B or C on the new Ford Transit chassis? I'll be heading to the Tampa super show and hope to be surprised at seeing one in person.

Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #3

The Transit is the obligatory chassis for campervan's in Europe.

I don't know where you get that from. The Fiat Ducato has the lion's share of the market. There are also variants on the Ducato (basically re-badged) from other automakers. There are only a slight handful of conversions that have come out on Transit. Do a youtube search and you'll see.

In North America, the Transit delays have left a vacuum that's been filled by the Promaster. As all the converters have spend their 2014 development money on new products on the Promaster, I doubt you'll see anything on Transit at the Spring shows. Most likely the fall shows or the following spring (2016).
Old 12-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
"The Transit is the obligatory chassis for campervan's in Europe"...I don't know where you get that from. The Fiat Ducato has the lion's share of the market...
The Ducato is "rather new" in Europe - released in '81 - compared to the Transit being made since 1965.

Having been to Europe shows that Transit based RV's are seen everywhere. While the Fiat is now very available, the Ford has been and continues to be very, very common.

Safe travels and Happy Holidays
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
To those that have seen these in Europe. how do they make larger RV out of a transit?

I think in the near future there will be a dip in class c inventory at the dealers unless the RV builder bought Econoline chassis and stockpiled them.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Transit-Sprinter-Ducato based RV's in Europe are just smaller than US style Class C's...about 10" less wide and shorter, of course.

To get a larger European RV it's usually Class A's riding on Iveco, Fuso, and Benz or MAN commercial chassis.

Ford has continued the E-Series cab-chassis into the 2015 model year (but for how long?) and Chevy is still selling their full sized van and cab-chassis. Only time will tell what happens.

But once all the fullsized van nose cab-chassis are discontinued, the niche will probably be filled with truck nose Class C's...like the FourWinds "super C's" on F550 cab-chassis.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went to the Tampa show and no Transits were in sight! I did talk to Russ, Winnebago's Class B/B+ Product Manager, about the future of the Transit. He said they are exploring it, but wouldn't give out many specifics. Russ did say there is an obstacle with the driver's and passenger's seat as they don't swivel (the driver's can't be made to swivel). This would be a concern for Class B's, but if they can make the passenger seat swivel, not so bad for B+'s. I asked Russ about pricing and he said it would be between the Sprinter and Ducato based B/B+'s (probably closer to the Ducato if one doesn't opt for the diesel engine).

He said Ford is working hard at fulfilling orders for the fleet people and Transit availability for the RV sector may take a while.

Russ was at the Winnebago booth (not the Itasca).
Old 07-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought I would bring this topic back to the top! Has anyone heard any recent rumors on using the Ford Transit for the makings of a B, B+ or C MH. What are the MH manufacturers doing along these lines?
Old 07-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

If you are going to see anything this year, it will probably be at the Hershey show in September.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #10

The UK Ford Van has been called a "Transit" for eons. When I worked for Norton Villiers in 1966, our AJS motocross team van was a 25' long Transit dually. It could carry the four team bikes, four guys, tool boxes, 2-stroke-mix gas in cans.

With the 2.8L V-6 it was pretty quick, too.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did anyone see a Transit based MH at the Hershey show?
Old 10-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #12

We will be going to the California RV show in Pomona next week, and we've been told by the Thor factory rep that both the Compass and Gemini (Transit diesel) will be at the show. As far as I know, they are the first and only motorhomes on the Transit chassis. We will post some photos.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:57 PM   #13

Leisure Travel dropped the Mercedes based Free Spirit range for 2016. Rumour has it reappearing on a Ford chassis after current evaluations are concluded.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #14

Do a Google search for "Winnebago Transit Fuse" and you'll seewhat Wbago is about to debut.