Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #1

Travato Electrical Issues (coach side)

Hi All - we took delivery of our new 2016 Travato 59K this past Monday. On Tuesday morning I went out to the unit and started the organizing/prep process of getting it ready for travel, testing appliances, learning the systems etc. I noticed after a few minutes, while running on battery power that the main 12v would "trip" and come back online. The first time it did it - I only had the stereo on and according to the power panel on the wall - everything is charged up. I come from a troubleshooting background so I proceeded to try to isolate if it was one appliance that was triggering it. At first I suspected the stereo - but now I am experiencing intermitted trips with various appliances (of the 12v system). The only thing in common is that it seems to be happing shortly after I turn something on, like the Truma, stereo,fan, etc.
Simultaneous to this I hooked the coach up to shore power and went inside. I was monitoring the power panel, and I would se an amperage surge coinciding with a "clicking" noise coming from under the coach (if I power up the generator, I hear the same noise). I was able to isolate this to the inverter - so if I turn that breaker off, the noise goes away (as does the amperage surge). Now, here's the weird one - even with the inverter off in the breaker panel - if I start the generator the power panel "status" lights for the MW/AC/Fridge light up after the initial 30 seconds, but one by one turn off and go offline (nothing on at this point). However I did notice that the MW clock was lit so there is power to the MW, but not the AC unit. So I turned on the MW for a few seconds and the "status" indicator lights up and then I am able to operate the rooftop AC system.

I suspect that all three problems are related in some way and I suspect a short, or ground fault, or possibly a bad battery? I am putting this out to the forum because I think it could end up being a hard problem to solve and hoping some may have some ideas.

I did pay a $1000 prep fee to my dealer, and am a little concerned that all of these problem occurred the very first day of ownership, and I am 170 miles away.

Sorry for the long post - any Travato owners, or others experience anything like this?

Thanks,
Mike D.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #2

Retired Fire Service RVer's
The first thing I would look at would be the grounding of the battery. A poor connection would heat up and could have more resistance which in turn cause more heating with a loss in voltage - a cascading effect.

8 RVs, now on 9th since 1964 - 53 years and counting
DavePCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #3

Thanks Dave - I will check that, would be a possibility for the 12v side. I am baffled however by the issues I'm having while running the generator and the aircon. Yesterday I could not get the aircon to come online at all with the generator, but the microwave still works.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #4

Retired Fire Service RVer's
There is a long thread on Yahoo groups about similar issues. roadtrek@yahoo.com
Otherwise, the clicking would indicate a relay, also with bad connections. Possibility the transfer switch?

8 RVs, now on 9th since 1964 - 53 years and counting
DavePCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #5

Thanks Dave - today the coach made the 175 mile trip back to the dealer. The problems got progressively worse, and basically the 12v and 120v (generator and shore power) systems are both inop in the coach. So now we'll see what they come up with and I wwill share with others.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

Travato 59K owners - question: Some of you may know that we are having "coach side" electrical issues with our new '16 Travato 59K. It looks like progress is being made on the 12v side of the house, it appears that our intermittent "reset" of the 12v system when using 12v appliances was traced back to a 50amp 12v self-resetting breaker under the coach. On the generator operation however - I am being told that you have to wait 2.5 minutes after starting the generator before the power control system provides power for the AC, Fridge, and Truma. So what I am told is normal operation is A. start the generator. B. wait 30 seconds until you hear the power transfer switch kick in and the three "status" lights will light on the power control center display, and then they will go out. 2 minutes later - they will relight and allow those appliances to be used on generator/120v power. Is this the way your coach/generator is working? I am being told this is per Winnebago as designed.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes..our 59k works that way. Start Gen and wait for signal to operate appliance

Tags
electrical