Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #1

Travato Propane Outlet

I've had my 2015 Travato since last summer. The little kitchen is nice, but gets a little close if you are frying up a bunch of onions. I would love to figure out how to hook up a light, little camp stove to the low flow propane outlet under the back bumper. "Low flow" means you need a stove without a regulator that you find on common Coleman stoves that use throwaway propane canisters. I tried a Camp Chef Ranger II, which worked well because it has a low flow connector, but yikes, it weighs about 20lbs, and takes up too much space for my limited Travato storage. After weeks of internet research, with no solutions, I have removed my old Coleman stove's regulator and I'm now looking for a professional propane plumber to help me find connectors to go from the Coleman stove to my Travato output. I want to use a simple little camp stove, not a monster army stove or barbecue. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #2

Should be regular NPT (National Pipe Thread) fittings? Not sure of your exact Coleman stove, but a walk through the brass fittings at your local hardware store should get you sorted out. Use the yellow pipe tape that is safe for gas.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
ManVan, I know this doesn't answer your question, but if you're on Facebook you might consider joining the Travato group and posting your question there. Many helpful folks who are happy to answer questions over there. I'm always picking up tips for my Travato.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #4

Thanks for the information Guido and Dahai. The Coleman stove and most other brands like it have a proprietary fitting going in, attached to the regulator/ tank connection. (very familiar to anyone who has ever used a camp stove) I unscrewed the regulator. Now I'm looking for an adapter to go from the tiny exposed threads to my 8 ft. hose into the Travato.

No doubt, the Coleman people have made this difficult to prevent uninformed people from plugging high pressure propane into their stoves. I don't blame them. I just wish small, light, low pressure stoves were made for folks with little RV's.

I can carry around the 16oz propane bottles, but now I am obsessed. Time for a trip to the hardware store.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:17 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm guessing that your RV has a quick connect fitting. If so, I think this will work on the Coleman stove if you have a quick connect hose to attach it to. Read the reviews on Amazon and a poster tells how he adapted it.

Camco 59903 Propane Quick-Connect Fitting - 1/4" NPT x Full Flow Male Plug
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #6

Thanks Wanderso. I found the Amazon review you mentioned. With that information in mind, I went to our local outlet for air/gas fittings, Tacoma Screw. (Yes, that's really the name.) My goal was to find a converter to fit on the Coleman Stove input with the pressure regulator removed. I got some help from a professional, but he told me he hadn't seen any fittings that would work for something that small. The Amazon guy said his was 1/8", but that was too big for my Coleman fitting.

I have now officially given up and will carry disposable 16 oz propane canisters. My Winnie, low pressure outlet will likely never be used. No big deal. Failure just damages my self esteem
Old 07-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

I'll be doing this for my portable gas grill. It's a little stainless off-brand of some kind, so I don't know if the same thing will work for a Coleman stove...it should, in theory... My Winnebago ERA has the low pressure QD on the back bumper same as the Travato.

I found my quick disconnect fitting (that I misplaced) so once I get my RV, gas grill, and fittings all in the same place, I'll give it a whirl.

I want to keep the ability to use 1lb tanks, too.

ManVan-

Can you post a pic of your stove and the regulator and fitting you are working with?

Is it possible to modify/adapt something like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	71azwdgwDRL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	133764

Name:	81QJsoO446L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	133765

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Regul...ropane+adapter

The tube has the proper propane jet and *should* be 1/8" NPT (or could easily be threaded to 1/8" NPT with the proper threading die) once you remove the propane regulator, then you can screw on an 1/8" to 1/4" NPT bushing/elbow/coupling to your low pressure hose?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #8

No, that doesn't work because the Winnie low pressure outlet is regulated to be "low." Then the propane converter adds an additional regulator making it too low for a decent cooking flame. If the adjustable regulator on the converter can be open all the way to wide open, it might work. If it works, I'll get one too.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #9

So, here are some pics of my Coleman Stove connector with the regulator unscrewed. The brass end attaches to the stove. (a proprietary fitting)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coleman1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	133938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	133939  

Old 07-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManVan View Post
No, that doesn't work because the Winnie low pressure outlet is regulated to be "low." Then the propane converter adds an additional regulator making it too low for a decent cooking flame. If the adjustable regulator on the converter can be open all the way to wide open, it might work. If it works, I'll get one too.
No, I meant if you unscrewed the 1lb disposable propane regulator and use the pipe & jet to adapt. I wasn't sure what type of Coleman stove you had, so I used that an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManVan View Post
So, here are some pics of my Coleman Stove connector with the regulator unscrewed. The brass end attaches to the stove. (a proprietary fitting)
Exactly, what I meant. Unscrew the 1lb disposable propane regulator and adapt to that pipe. What's the outside diameter of that pipe? The OD of the threads on 1/8" pipe is approximately 3/8" (.375) Looks like your pipe could easily be threaded 1/8" NPT.

Any hardware store will have a 1/8" NPT threading die. You can buy them separate, but even most basic tap and die sets include an 1/8" tap and die.

That "proprietary" thread might be a metric/British Standard Pipe (BSP) or British Standard Taper Pipe (BSTP). If you are worried about ruin the proprietary thread, you could cut the pipe in half and use an 1/8" coupling in the middle.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #11

Thanks Guido,

Here is my old posting:

"I went to our local outlet for air/gas fittings, Tacoma Screw. (Yes, that's really the name.) My goal was to find a converter to fit on the Coleman Stove input with the pressure regulator removed. I got some help from a professional, but he told me he hadn't seen any fittings that would work for something that small. The Amazon guy said his was 1/8", but that was too big for my Coleman fitting."

So, I guess I need to go buy a threading set. (A new skill challenge for me)
Old 07-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #12

What is the OD of your pipe? If it is really that much smaller than 1/8 NPT, then maybe you could solder or braze a standard NPT fitting on?

There is a 1/16 NPT thread, but it is very small ~.313" and not very common to find fittings for. I think the only 1/16 NPT fittings I've seen were grease zerk fittings.

I am in a similar quandary...
Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 AM   #13

A professional machinist with a lathe can measure and produce any thread or connector, no matter how proprietary. It all depends on how committed you are to the project.

It might take them 4 - 5 hours of measuring, calculating, setup, and producing it x $200 per hour, but it can be done. The funny thing is, most of them can make 10 each in about the same time as making 1 each. Economy of scale at its finest.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #14

Not that this will help ManVan...but I've been messing around with adapting my cheapo chi-com stainless grill over to my low pressure propane outlet.

I noticed that my grill used a coarse thread fitting that was similar to (but not exactly the same as 1/4" NPT)

Name:	20161002_161314.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	140609

I picked up a propane hose with orifice tube made for a outdoor cooker.

Name:	20161002_132924.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	140607

Name:	20161002_161225.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	140608

The thread on the orifice tube was 1/8" NPT. So, I threaded in a 1/4" NPT tap and added a 1/4"-1/8" NPT bushing.

I cut off the regulator and added a 1/4" ball valve to regulate the flame on the grill.

Name:	20161002_162142.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	140610

Tags
propane