RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class B Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:00 AM   #1

Trip interruption.....

Has this happened to you?

We were on a trip and our plumbing and sewer system failed so we couldn't dump our tanks.

This is a serious problem 😡.

Fortunately, we were only a 2 days drive from home and stayed in a hotel.... but, suppose you are in the middle of nowhere and getting RV service on something as complicated as this is, in my opinion, a real "showstopper".

We got back and make arrangements to bring the RV into our regular shop and it was all fixed.

These are the "highlights" of an RV trip..... not the kind of thing you'll not soon forget.

There's literally no way to plan or forsee this coming.

MWeiner is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might make a note to check out RV Service Reviews. Put in your location and maybe there is help. Maybe not....but worth a try.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

I have a great RV mechanic 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
You might make a note to check out RV Service Reviews. Put in your location and maybe there is help. Maybe not....but worth a try.
My shop is excellent, family owned business for almost 40 years.

What I'm talking about here is the UNFORSEEN incidents that can and do happen on the road....

It's a pretty unpleasant experience.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #4

Can you explain the failure. What exactly happened to the plumbing. I have not heard of a major plumbing and sewer failure.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #5

Yes...I too am curious about the plumbing failure if you could explain in more detail. Sounds like a awful experience. Perhaps some of us could learn.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the OP: "If the mountain will not come to Mohammad.....than Mohammad must go to the mountain......"
Old 11-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, I would at least want to know how it was solved, so if it happened again, I could repair it, and continue with my trip !
Old 11-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #8

Failed macerator pump and gate valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudge View Post
Yes...I too am curious about the plumbing failure if you could explain in more detail. Sounds like a awful experience. Perhaps some of us could learn.
Not only did the macerator pump fail, but, there was an obstruction in the tanks and a failure of the gate valves causing me not to be able to evacuate the tanks.

Ultimately, both tanks had to be removed, cleaned and replaced along with a new macerator pump and two new gate valves....messy situation...

This is NOT GOOD and something that cannot be accomplished in the field.

My RV shop did the repairs.

In addition, I had a failure with the refrigerator due to the high elevation and the generator failed all at the same time..

This turned this trip into a pretty big disaster. We had to scramble to get ice and coolers to keep our food from spoiling and our entire time was spent managing all of these system failures....

Of course, if I had known about all of these things in advance, which was not possible, I would have never thought of taking the trip... The refrigerator elevation issue was completely my fault; I didn't pay attention to the limitations of the unit. I have subsequently replaced the propane refrigerator with an AC/DC compressor refrigerator and it will perform at any elevation ...The generator ultimately was completely replaced with a brand new unit...

Needless to say, all of this was extremely EXPENSIVE, and I look forward to more pleasant trips....

There's a lot of things you just can't predict before you leave, and certainly can't go through all of the existing systems; it's just not possible. Some of these are unplanned and you have to roll with the punches, but, having three things fail all at once was too much for this trip... which is why we had to cut it short...

I certainly hope others don't experience a similar situation, but it probably will occur.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #9

Thanks for the update. I hope your next trip goes a bit better.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #10

Seriously doubt you could have solved this in the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Yep, I would at least want to know how it was solved, so if it happened again, I could repair it, and continue with my trip !
It was very complicated, see my last post above.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #11

Thank you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Thanks for the update. I hope your next trip goes a bit better.
Thanks 😊. I do whatever I can to avoid problems.

Everything seems to be fully operational, so, I expect more pleasant experiences.